Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 06:59 PM

114 posts, read 148,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanakonu View Post
Have you considered any west side areas besides Kona town?

Oddly, according to my neighbor, it's just the opposite. Though I have no first hand experience, I always assumed that Oahu was MORE touristy than any part of BI, and he confirms it (aside from a few of the northern areas).
Thanks for the insight! Yeah, I'm not going to touch the mortgage conversation just because it's not really relevant to my question at the moment.

I haven't really considered any west side areas. Looked into Waikoloa a bit, but I'm not super familiar with places in West Hawaii outside of Kona. Open to learning, though!

I'm sure there are places in Oahu that make Kona look like a nature preserve, lol! I doubt we'd want to be in the heart of Honolulu, though. I am definitely reading up & looking at the different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
As a teacher, you'll at least be able to move from island to island and still have a job.

Pretty much anywhere you go on Oahu has access to beaches pretty close by. Due to crazy traffic and horrendously expensive rents, how about Windward Oahu? It rains more there, but not any more than in Puna. Less traffic, slightly less expensive rents.

Actually, as a school teacher, how about visiting Oahu for a month or so over the summer? Then you can get in beach time, clubbing, museums, exotic shopping, etc. etc. and not have to deal with Oahu for the rest of the year.

Or fly over for one or two weekends a year for Oahu activities and then come back to Hawaii Island afterwards?

Or, as a school teacher, change schools to a different part of the Big Island. Maybe teach up in Waimea or Kealakekua where you'd be much closer to the beach than in Hilo? Since you're not blanching at the costs of rentals on Oahu, the higher rents in Waimea or Kona shouldn't phase you at all.

Or go teach on Molokai for a year. Then when you get back, Hilo will seem like a metropolis.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
As a teacher, you'll at least be able to move from island to island and still have a job.

Pretty much anywhere you go on Oahu has access to beaches pretty close by. Due to crazy traffic and horrendously expensive rents, how about Windward Oahu? It rains more there, but not any more than in Puna. Less traffic, slightly less expensive rents.

Actually, as a school teacher, how about visiting Oahu for a month or so over the summer? Then you can get in beach time, clubbing, museums, exotic shopping, etc. etc. and not have to deal with Oahu for the rest of the year.

Or fly over for one or two weekends a year for Oahu activities and then come back to Hawaii Island afterwards?

Or, as a school teacher, change schools to a different part of the Big Island. Maybe teach up in Waimea or Kealakekua where you'd be much closer to the beach than in Hilo? Since you're not blanching at the costs of rentals on Oahu, the higher rents in Waimea or Kona shouldn't phase you at all.

Or go teach on Molokai for a year. Then when you get back, Hilo will seem like a metropolis.
Lol at the Molokai idea! It does make sense. I'll have to read up about Winward Oahu.

I've been thinking about Kona, but for me, I always have the heart of Kailua Kona in mind (like Ali'i Drive) & constantly being around tourists isn't appealing. I've spent a little time in Holualoa & south of Kona, but I'll have to really consider Kona.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1ax View Post
Lol at the Molokai idea! It does make sense. I'll have to read up about Winward Oahu.

I've been thinking about Kona, but for me, I always have the heart of Kailua Kona in mind (like Ali'i Drive) & constantly being around tourists isn't appealing. I've spent a little time in Holualoa & south of Kona, but I'll have to really consider Kona.

Ar1lax, I have the impression you don't currently reside in Hawai'i. Is this correct?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Have you calculated if you can afford to live in Hawaii? There's nothing in this thread about how much money you make now, how much money you've saved for retirement so far, and your debt. You can also compare the cost of living where you live now compared to Hawaii. If the cost of living is higher in Hawaii, that simple calculation will tell you how much more you'll need to make to live at the same standard of living.

If you haven't saved much money, you'll need to increase your savings, which means less money for other things. Roughly, you need to save about 20% if you start saving in your 20s, 30% if you start saving in your 30s, 40% if you start saving in your 40s, and 50% if you start saving in your 50s. The longer you delay saving for retirement, the tougher it will be to save enough money, unless you plan to retire in poverty or die early.

Many people save a lot less, but if you save less, the risk is higher that it won't be enough money to survive without severely lowering you standard of living if you outlive your savings. Maybe you don't plan to ever retire and keep working till you drop dead. Some people that don't save enough have to follow that plan.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:52 AM

70 posts, read 98,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Have you calculated if you can afford to live in Hawaii? There's nothing in this thread about how much money you make now, how much money you've saved for retirement so far, and your debt. You can also compare the cost of living where you live now compared to Hawaii. If the cost of living is higher in Hawaii, that simple calculation will tell you how much more you'll need to make to live at the same standard of living.

If you haven't saved much money, you'll need to increase your savings, which means less money for other things. Roughly, you need to save about 20% if you start saving in your 20s, 30% if you start saving in your 30s, 40% if you start saving in your 40s, and 50% if you start saving in your 50s. The longer you delay saving for retirement, the tougher it will be to save enough money, unless you plan to retire in poverty or die early.

Many people save a lot less, but if you save less, the risk is higher that it won't be enough money to survive without severely lowering you standard of living if you outlive your savings. Maybe you don't plan to ever retire and keep working till you drop dead. Some people that don't save enough have to follow that plan.
Stop turning every thread into an episode of the Dave Ramsey show. The OP is asking about experiences with moving from the Big Island to Oahu. They are not asking for financial advice. Enough of the proselytizing.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Ar1lax, I have the impression you don't currently reside in Hawai'i. Is this correct?
I live on the Big Island. That's why this thread is about moving to Oahu from the Big Island. I'm not responding to the people giving unsolicited financial advice because as someone who lives here, I'm aware of the financial difficulties involved.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:10 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Quote:
I live on the Big Island. That's why this thread is about moving to Oahu from the Big Island. I'm not responding to the people giving unsolicited financial advice because as someone who lives here, I'm aware of the financial difficulties involved.
Ar1ax, thanks for the reply.

I was a bit curious as I thought your queries and replies appeared to suggest unfamiliarity with the BI and Oahu in general. Should I presume you have been living in the state for only a short time? The reason I ask this, is that it might provide better responses.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Ar1ax, thanks for the reply.

I was a bit curious as I thought your queries and replies appeared to suggest unfamiliarity with the BI and Oahu in general. Should I presume you have been living in the state for only a short time? The reason I ask this, is that it might provide better responses.
I'm familiar with the Big Island, but not so much with Oahu. I know that visiting a place is different than living there, which is why I welcome information about living in Kona. My experiences with Kona have mostly been as a visitor & not a resident.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:06 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
I'm familiar with the Big Island, but not so much with Oahu. I know that visiting a place is different than living there, which is why I welcome information about living in Kona. My experiences with Kona have mostly been as a visitor & not a resident.
I don't think any of the posters here live in the Kona area. To me it's too hot when we go there to do errands and traffic sucks (in relation to where I live). Maybe if you have Kona-specific questions you could go to the Konaweb forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii