Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It appears that 7.6% in Hawaii do not have coverage.

https://cca.hawaii.gov/ins/files/201...arch-Final.pdf
Admittedly, I thought 7.6% was an artificially high figure for Hawaii (I have friends in all demographics of all ages and know not a single person without coverage). But then I read this...

Highest Uninsured States Less Likely to Embrace Health Law | Gallup

17.3% of all Americans have no coverage. 1 in 6 Americans roll the dice every day. And 27% of Texans have no insurance... unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,061,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautandrice View Post
I don't know. What do locals need that haole don't?

Just guessing, as I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in years...

Electricity, sewer hookup, dental work, legal advice, auto maintenance beyond tires and oil change, child care, pest control, home repair and remodeling,...

Last edited by hikernut; 06-05-2017 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-05-2017, 05:41 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Just guessing, as I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in years...

Electricity, sewer hookup, dental work, legal advice, auto maintenance beyond tires and oil change, child care, pest control, home repair and remodeling,...

ew, he doesn't need running water or dental work? sauerkraut must be quite haunas indeed

Old 06-05-2017, 06:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
It appears that 7.6% in Hawaii do not have coverage.

https://cca.hawaii.gov/ins/files/201...arch-Final.pdf
Probably the bulk being homeless - dependants - transient workers who can't hold full time jobs.

It is ironic, at least to me, that cheap healthcare is mandated to residents of Hawaii (single) who work over 20 hours a week - but they exempted State and County workers who pay far more than their private sector counterparts despite often having lower wages and are left to the mercy of the union negotiators

Old 06-05-2017, 07:26 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,631 times
^

I think part of the reason why state/city employees pay an obscene amount, 50-60% (I thnk) of their medical cost is because of the medical benefits gotten in retirement.

But like I mentioned in a different thread, I know people that joined the state out of college, and after all deductions, their paychecks are abysmal. Part of that is because they're funding the pension and eutf medical plan, which are supposedly supposed to be around when they retire.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Probably the bulk being homeless - dependants - transient workers who can't hold full time jobs.

It is ironic, at least to me, that cheap healthcare is mandated to residents of Hawaii (single) who work over 20 hours a week - but they exempted State and County workers who pay far more than their private sector counterparts despite often having lower wages and are left to the mercy of the union negotiators
Actually the State and County employees get a fair deal even though they pay higher share of premium before retirement:

(1) Many employers in private sector just offer health insurance to the full time employee without offering coverage to the spouse and the kids.

(2) Most State and County employees, if they are hired before 1997, don't need to pay a dime for premium after retirement.

(3) Their spouse is still covered in retirement.

(4) When Medicare kicks in at 65, the State/County plan serves as supplementary plan.

In fact, many Federal employees look for State/County job after retirement because the State/City offers better benefits.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I'll take my free lifetime private health insurance (paid for by the State of Hawaii).

Union has done well by us.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

(2) Most State and County employees, if they are hired before 1997, don't need to pay a dime for premium after retirement.
1997? The year of Spice Girls and Titanic? How does that relate to anyone moving here now or the existing employees with a severely underfunded pension?

Sure, old timers who survived their low wages are fine in retirement.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I'll take my free lifetime private health insurance (paid for by the State of Hawaii).

Union has done well by us.
I'm happy to compare my lifetime private sector wages and benefits to Hawaii lifetime union wages and benefits and I'm pretty sure I know which did much better.

State old timers are fine.

For now.

(Hint:the party will likely be over - the funds are all severely underfunded and shouldn't be discounted that benefits will get slashed including old timers)

And by the way - the free health insurance. Didn't come free. You paid for it.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Not necessarily far more than their counterparts in the private sector.

For example, under the new PPO HMSA 75/25 medical+drug+chiropractic plan, employee pays $168/monthly for family plan while employer pays $903/monthly. Employer's share of contribution is 84.3% while employee's share is 15.7%.

Unlike private sector, there are multiple plans offered in State/City that can suit each one's need.

When I worked for private sector, what the company offered was HMO only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: