Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 28,906 times

Advertisements

Aloha. Sorry, I just found out you can post to the general Hawaii forums.

I always hear that HI is super expensive. But there are Walmarts everywhere now. Why don't people shop at Walmart? There is no price difference in HI for Walmart, so I don't get it?

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 11:27 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
You are right. You don't get it; because WalMart provides everything a local family needs, right?

Old 06-03-2017, 11:34 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Hawaii can be expensive, yes. Coming from NYC originally, though, I'm used to living in a higher cost of living area, so I more than get by out here.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:44 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
shopping at wallmart doesn't change the low wages and the high cost of housing electric and the rest.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:52 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Generally prices at mainland chain stores are higher here in Hawaii than they are at the mainland stores. Same with the restaurant chains, too.

Most Hawaii jobs are service jobs and pay less than their mainland counterparts since there's a lot of folks that will work for less just to be in Hawaii. Or folks who need the second or third job to make ends meet.

So figure you'll make 20% - 30% less in wages and pay 20% - 30% more for all goods and then add a 4% tax on EVERYTHING and it all adds up to not having much left out of a paycheck at the end of the month.

Many folks in Hawaii offset the high rent by living in smaller spaces, having multiple people living and paying the rent in the same house or being homeless when that doesn't work out. Once you get your house paid for, things ease up a lot and if you can get food from the yard with either a garden or fruit trees, that helps too.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:58 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
and then add a 4% tax on EVERYTHING
Common over to Chicago where the tax is 10.25% on everything

Old 06-03-2017, 04:02 PM

85 posts, read 99,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautandrice View Post
Aloha. Sorry, I just found out you can post to the general Hawaii forums.

I always hear that HI is super expensive. But there are Walmarts everywhere now. Why don't people shop at Walmart? There is no price difference in HI for Walmart, so I don't get it?

Mahalo!
People do shop there, but...
Not to sound too snide here, you can not live in a Wal-Mart.
Nor do our Wal-Mart stores here (on the Big Island) come close to comparing to the ones on the mainland.
The grocery section is a joke, and it's a common occurrence for most sundry items to be out of stock with no expectation on when they will be shipped over.

To give you an idea - my home town Wal-Mart in Kentucky where I grew up was large enough that you could fit the Hilo Wal-Mart inside of it twice over, with enough room left over for a few tennis courts.

High rent and low paying jobs. That's what makes Hawai'i expensive.
If you find a way to combat one or both of those, you have a foot above most.
Live small and bring your own money... that's some good advice for the average Joe.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
You are right. You don't get it; because WalMart provides everything a local family needs, right?
I don't know. What do locals need that haole don't?

Old 06-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
shopping at wallmart doesn't change the low wages and the high cost of housing electric and the rest.
Wages are the same federally though. The others? Well it all depends too. But my point is, people always say that consumer goods all cost more there.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Generally prices at mainland chain stores are higher here in Hawaii than they are at the mainland stores. Same with the restaurant chains, too.

Most Hawaii jobs are service jobs and pay less than their mainland counterparts since there's a lot of folks that will work for less just to be in Hawaii. Or folks who need the second or third job to make ends meet.

So figure you'll make 20% - 30% less in wages and pay 20% - 30% more for all goods and then add a 4% tax on EVERYTHING and it all adds up to not having much left out of a paycheck at the end of the month.

Many folks in Hawaii offset the high rent by living in smaller spaces, having multiple people living and paying the rent in the same house or being homeless when that doesn't work out. Once you get your house paid for, things ease up a lot and if you can get food from the yard with either a garden or fruit trees, that helps too.
Walmart has the same prices in HI than in any other state if you shop online, with free 2 day shipping (which can really take 4 days in HI). And if you shop in their stores, they price match anything that is on their website or any other store.

Curious. Several times now I have heard that they pay less in Hawaii. Do they have a special federal exemption in Hawaii? Like Saipan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: