Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,803 times

Advertisements

Its is quite good but If this fits you then why not you will be there. Otherwise you may want to consider rethinking about your priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambreen Kiran View Post
Its is quite good but If this fits you then why not you will be there. Otherwise you may want to consider rethinking about your priorities.
this is the most nonsensical post I've seen in a while...

Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"The beach is the usual draw to Hawaii. Since that isn't your thing, you might be happier somewhere else."

I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to the beach since moving to Hawaii. I came here for 4 growing seasons per year and cheap land and the Big Island.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 PM

13 posts, read 21,197 times
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "Anglo cultural attractions," but I think I know what you're getting at. I'm not too quick to dismiss Hawaii though, since I think it has a diversity of outdoors activities besides just the beach. Plus Honolulu and Ohau overall offer enough cultural sophistication that it's definitely not a "backwards" type of place. Overall I'm definitely seeking a more scenic and laid-back lifestyle than here on the East Coast - another reputation of Hawaii. Also, it's important to me that the location is pretty liberal and openminded, and Hawaii checks that box as far as I know too. Here in the mainland, I enjoyed the years I spent living in Denver (great nearby outdoors), and I've always thought a place like Seattle or Portland, OR would fit the type of lifestyle I enjoy the most (though it does rain a lot there).

Old 07-08-2017, 10:52 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_n8 View Post
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "Anglo cultural attractions," but I think I know what you're getting at. I'm not too quick to dismiss Hawaii though, since I think it has a diversity of outdoors activities besides just the beach. Plus Honolulu and Ohau overall offer enough cultural sophistication that it's definitely not a "backwards" type of place. Overall I'm definitely seeking a more scenic and laid-back lifestyle than here on the East Coast - another reputation of Hawaii. Also, it's important to me that the location is pretty liberal and openminded, and Hawaii checks that box as far as I know too. Here in the mainland, I enjoyed the years I spent living in Denver (great nearby outdoors), and I've always thought a place like Seattle or Portland, OR would fit the type of lifestyle I enjoy the most (though it does rain a lot there).

We enjoy splitting our time between Portland and Hilo. By "Anglo cultural attractions" I meant concerts and art galleries that are more traditional American-European. But the traditional Hawaiian and Asian culture in the islands is definitely wonderful, creative and enjoyable. We haven't spent much time in Honolulu, but there is most likely a greater variety there. Best Wishes to you!!

Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
I'm retiring in 2 months and wife and I are discussing the option of a condo in Hawaii to spend the winter away from our PNW home (we hate the cool wet and especially gray winter). We previously bought a condo apartment is southern Spain and a house in Arizona for wintering purposes but have decided to sell our Spain apartment and trying to decide whether the extra cost of Hawaii is worth it compared to Arizona.

Anyone considered wintering in Hawaii to Arizona? Hawaii seems to have a much better winter climate and is more beautiful but is crowded (Honolulu) and expensive.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:09 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
We get a lot of snowbirds here during the winter. A lot of Alaska folks and PNW folks come here for winter sunshine.

Not sure how well Arizona compares to Hawaii. Arizona has mild winters, Hawaii pretty much has zero winters. One's in the middle of the ocean, the other is in the middle of the desert. Guess that's an ocean of sand? But you don't have to buy to find out where you'd prefer. Rent for six months in one area and then rent for six months in the other and then you'll know which you prefer.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:23 PM

876 posts, read 813,124 times
Reading all the Hawaii posts here actually worked to dissuade me from moving to HI. The main reason I wanted to move there is to live in a culture where I would feel comfortable. I was born and lived there as a youngster for 4 years and am 1/2 Asian.

All my life in the states I felt like an outsider, having lived in some very redneck places and experienced racism from white people in school and work. Some of it was real, being called various names like ****, ****, etc, and I developed an over sensitivity to racism. A big part of it though is overblown in my mind I am sure.

I have this dream that it would be nice to live in a culture where I am part of the majority, and I could blend in.

The high cost of living in Hawaii along with the low median income is the main deterrent. I'm a realist and don't want to become another statistic. You have to pay the rent and eat. If it costs 2x what it does on the mainland, I don't want to be scraping by. I'm on the downside of my earning potential at this point. If I live long enough to draw SS and a meager pension, I might give it a go. You have to have a dream, even if it may never come true.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:59 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
i dont know what ethnicity you are, but I think you'll be ok on the race front in hawaii. All racism is bad, but I think redneck racism is the worst actually, as they will get in your face about it.

The main issue will be cost of living and relatively low income, as you mentioned.

One thing that isn't mentioned much, but I think other locals would agree is that because there are so many transients in hawaii, whether it be tourists or military, that you may have trouble developing close relationships with people, at least until you're here for a few years or so yourself. If you end up living here in a tourist area like waikiki or work a tourist related job, you'll also notice that you'll meet other people that moved here somewhat recently. And that over time, one by one, the majority of your new friends will head back to the mainland citing cost of living or some other reason.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:05 PM

13 posts, read 21,197 times
I too have lived in redneck places (mainly TX), and I definitely would prefer a more tolerant and liberal area. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I currently live in DC, which overall is liberal, but also very expensive like Hawaii. And although DC is liberal, it still has a ton of racial tension between white/black - though likely not as bad as Baltimore. I don't think there's any place in America that's immune to racism, including Hawaii. And as I stated before, I've definitely heard of some tension between the native Hawaiian population and white people. Overall though Hawaii is known for it's tolerance, and open mindedness, much more so than other American places. And I think almost all desirable places to live have very high costs of living unfortunately. There's a reason it's very cheap to live in Mississippi or Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii