Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,469 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot about mainlanders being rejected and ostracized by the local people when they move to one of the islands. What if you are a public school teacher? Would you get a warmer response from locals if you were giving back to the islands? From what I understand, Hawaii is in need of good teachers. My wife and I are both National Board Certified teachers and are thinking about relocating our family to wherever the need is greatest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarlson76 View Post
I have read a lot about mainlanders being rejected and ostracized by the local people when they move to one of the islands.
Yet to see it in my 9 years here in Hawaii - you will see it on this forum though.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times
From my experience in the rural area of the Big Island, teachers are pretty well respected and accepted into the community. Particularly those individuals that make the effort to connect with the community outside of the school as well.
Same advice I would give anyone; you want to be accepted? Then be involved in the community. Hawai'i' isn't a great place for loners.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:07 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
It isn't so much that mainlanders are rejected and ostracized as much as they aren't fully welcomed into the community and ohana until they've been here for awhile. Most everyone is gonna be nice to you, but it will be with reservations. After all, more than likely you're gonna move back to the mainland within a year or two so they don't want to get too invested into a relationship that is going to be of a short duration.

The other thing is that most likely you won't even notice the non-full welcome or the reservations until later when you become an actual part of the community and understand the depth of it.

As teachers, you'll be quickly accepted and assimilated into the community and if you stick around for a few years, you'll see the difference between a fresh from the mainland and a been here awhile reception.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Both my husband and I are transplants and yes, there can be some push back from locals in certain situations. DH used to see it a lot on the North Shore catching waves (This is our spot!!), and such. But a great deal of it has to do with your attitude. If you come and complain that things aren't like on the mainland, then you will offend. If you come with respectful curiosity, people will be happy to teach you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-01-2017, 11:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
What's a DH? I can't imagine it means Richard Head. Or I'm out of the loop on code words.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:09 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
"Dear Husband" "Dratted Husband" "Darn Husband" "Dat Husband" etc., etc.

DS = dear son
DD - dear daughter
MIL = Mother in Law (for some reason we don't see DMIL)

Don't see 'DW' all that often, either. Hmmmm.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:13 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,532 times
Act like an azz, get treated like an azz.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:13 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
"Dear Husband" "Dratted Husband" "Darn Husband" "Dat Husband" etc., etc.

DS = dear son
DD - dear daughter
MIL = Mother in Law (for some reason we don't see DMIL)

Don't see 'DW' all that often, either. Hmmmm.

I use it as shorthand, so when asked I say Richard Head.

DH agrees.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-02-2017, 04:57 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
People who look for racism will find it. Alternatively, one can come here with no pre-conceptions and never find it. Racism exists everywhere, but I haven't seen that it's any worse in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: