Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 2,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you are in Waikiki all there are dormant volcanoes, Diamond Head as an example.

Waikiki is nice if you like touristy stuff, you can learn to surf and take tours from there. I always prefer cars, but you could work it out on tours. The North Shore is popular, and so is Kuuloa Ranch and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Lots of areas to go hike to falls if you have a car, not tours to that stuff usually.
Thanks so much for your tips! We'll definitely check out renting a car so we can explore the island at our own pace. I've seen a fair few tours for affordable prices on Groupon too so that could always be an option to get a feel for the island before venturing out alone. (Since in Australia we drive on the opposite side of the road it could be a very interesting for my boyfriend (horrifying for me haha) to drive around the island!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,387,161 times
We are 35 year Hawaii visitors. Actually considered moving their when we retired but tried it for a mildly extensive period and decided no way.

In general our pattern was to do a couple of days in Honolulu and then on to Maui. We like the very laid back part of Maui past Lahaina.

You can have good fun in Honolulu. Visit the Arizona a nice tour and emotionally pleasing. Then eat good and prowl the bars. No need for a car. My wife's favorite hotel in the world is the Halekulani on Waikiki. Expensive but if you want the top for a couple of days worth it...find out how the other 1% lives.

Then off to Maui. Get a beach front condo. Need a car unless you want to be confined to the big hotels on Kaanapali or such. Spend lots of times in the water. There are still relatively untouched beaches and coves on Maui. Places where you hike a quarter mile through the jungle to get to the cove. There is night life around if you want it...or you can ignore all that and just enjoy the trade wins and being alive.

The weather is not guaranteed. Generally a 90% bet...but you can lose.

On occasion I made trips with a huge harem. My daughters, their friends, my girl friend and the mothers and lady friends of daughters friends. Had about 14 on one trip. Hell of blast. Nothing lie traveling with 14 available women to Hawaii. And they all had a great time.

Practically pay attention to how you get off the Island. For other than the US you generally have to return to Honolulu. And inter island service has a long established history of being somewhat laid back. So plan ahead on your departure.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 PM

416 posts, read 410,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We are 35 year Hawaii visitors. Actually considered moving their when we retired but tried it for a mildly extensive period and decided no way.

Only been visiting for about 7 years. Still keep the dream of living there in back of my head no matter how naive.

What hit you during your trial period living in Maui?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:09 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,932,166 times
If you like nightlife, go to Oahu.

If you like beaches, go to Maui.

If you like like volcanoes and local culture, go to the Big Island.

If you have too much money, go to Kauai.

If you are only here for a week, I wouldn't try seeing more than one island.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:07 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,242,352 times
Oahu only has dormant volcanos as Mikala43 mentioned..Koko Crater is another beside Diamond Head..using Waikiki as a base and renting a car,( you can us 'The Bus' for some of these venues) you can day trip to The Bishop Museum, Pearl Harbor Memorial, ( yup, as you know ANZAC troops played a major role in the WWII fighting, just don't get the merit they deserve )

Other close by to Waikiki, but somewhat touristy things to see are Hanuama Bay, Shark's Cove on the North Shore, Waves will be kickin' in December.. (get some 'Shave Ice' at Matsumotos... (Don't know if the Shrimp farms are still selling roadside, on the way to the North Shore but the fresh shrimps are always a stop for me..)

Oh, The Byodo-In Temple..calm, serene peaceful.

If you like beaches, Waimanalo, Kailua ..beautiful.

For light snorkeling makapu'u point is nice. water is usually layed down.

Oh, Sacred Falls, and the Polynesian Cultural Center..

Jeez, so much to see, do.

Check out a Heiau, , plenty on Oahu..even one right in Hawaii Kai.. amid the houses..Agricultural one that I used to sit at first light...Heiaus are sacred places ..
The one overlooking Waimea Bay is very spiritual..Human sacrifices were performed there..follow the real 'locals' warnings regarding entry..don't wanna break 'Kapu'..
Hawaiian Royalty entered from one end..the plebes another.. I always entered from the peasants side...

I'm sure some of the 'expert' .. ahem, 'Local' wags who have lived on the Islands for a few short years will find fault in my advice..but they are what they are...
but, they 'no botha me. no botha you, Eh?'

Waikiki can be fun..knock yourself out in the ABC stores..stock up on those T -shirts/ trinkets to take back to the folks back in 'Straya.

It supports the local economy.

Hope you guys have a great trip. Hope you enjoy.
'plenny Alohas'

Disclaimer: I don't live in Hawaii, but have family living there since 1957...I have visited every year since 1985 for about two months out of the year..
If you guys need any other advice/ info feel free to DM me.

I can direct you guys to some pretty cool places on Kauai'i too if you decide to go...

Last edited by mr.magoo; 09-28-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,387,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Only been visiting for about 7 years. Still keep the dream of living there in back of my head no matter how naive.

What hit you during your trial period living in Maui?
The big deal was the trades stopped blowing. It is sheer misery without them. We also found it to be a pretty small place. After a couple of weeks island fever.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 AM

64 posts, read 148,626 times
On Oahu, you’ll want to stay in Waikiki. There a couple other resort areas on the island (ko’olina, and turtle bay) but they are both kinda out of the way and there isn’t much to do immediately around where you’d be staying. Waikiki itself has the beach (obviously). Tons of shopping, lots of nightly dinner shows, music, etc etc. you will always be able to find something to do in Waikiki. Right outside Waikiki you have the Honolulu zoo and Waikiki aquarium, again both walking distance from most hotels. A little further up the road you have diamond head state park. Diamond head is an extinct (or dormant?) cinder cone volcano used by the military since before ww2. It is now a popular and easy hiking trail.

Outside Waikiki there are tons of things to do no matter what you are into. You can book tours to go almost anywhere on the island and do pretty much anything you want. But if you’re looking for the freedom of a rental car, look forward to some of the worst traffic in the country. Seriously a 20 min drive can take a couple hours. I strongly suggest booking tours just to avoid the stress!

Specific things outside Waikiki I would suggest would be hanauma bay. Another cinder come volcano, one the walls broke open and the crater filled with seawater, making for an awesome protected bay where tons of awesome corals and other sea life could flourish, not to mention really easy snorkeling conditions! Second would be to spend a day at the Pearl Harbor historical sites. These include the USS arizona memorial, the USS bowfin, USS Missouri (where Japan officially surrendered) and the aerospace museum. Another spot to check out (especially if you want the big views without the hikes) is the Pali lookout. Lots of history up there, so definitely read up on it to really appreciate it!

This is all just in Oahu, and is no where near a complete list. When you guys visit don’t forget that despite that we live in paradise, that this is still a real place with real problems. Property crime can get pretty bad, and car breaking are common. Never leave your stuff in a car or anywhere out of your sight because chances are it will disappear. And this includes st the beaches, don’t leave all your stuff by your beach towel while you go for a swim and expect it to be there when you get back. It isn’t terrible, but you do need to take precautions to protect yourself.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times
That's why I was wondering what type of things they would want to do...

I would think Haunama Bay would be a complete waste of time if you are coming from AUS.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii