Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 2,283 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are planning our first overseas trip together and we are considering going to Hawaii for a bit over a week early December.

Basically I'm just interested to know some first hand experiences/thoughts about Hawaii.
e.g. What is there to do? Any specific recommendations? Things to avoid? What is the weather like in early December? Is the food delicious? How's the shopping?

Just any general information about Hawaii would be awesome - we really don't know what to expect so I'd love to hear your opinions!

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 09:52 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Try Fodors Travel Guide – Plan Your Trip Online

or

Google

Old 09-25-2017, 11:13 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,693,256 times
I suggest you start with www.gohawaii.com.

There are four major islands and they all offer something different. Some people like to visit two or three islands, and coming from Australia you'll be starting with Oahu. Don't just stay on Oahu, though. Consider either the Big Island (more rural and an active volcano) or Kauai (very green).

Also check out the Trip Advisor Hawaii forum.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
What are you hoping to find? Usually folks pick one or two islands to visit depending on their preferences. Oahu is very urban with beaches and loads of traffic. But, you can be a tourist in Waikiki and not need a car. Actually, for Oahu, not having a car is probably a plus. For a touristy vacation, stay somewhere in Waikiki and take a few bus tours to various parts of the island if you want out of Waikiki. It'll be pretty expensive and pretty much an urban experience.

Kauai is much less crowded, not a lot of nightlife, very green, has a fern grotto, a big colorful canyon, sandy beaches and you'd probably want to rent a car.

Maui has some touristy areas such as Lahaina, some remote areas such as Hana (where the drive to get there is half the event), some hikes, sandy beaches, some traffic, some largish town/city.

Hawaii Island (also called the 'Big Island') has the volcano, beaches of all different colors (white, black and green sand, also a lot of rocky beaches), loads more room, lot less traffic, not too much of urban anything.

So, depending on what you'd prefer, there's an island (or two) for you.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 PM

163 posts, read 269,404 times
I like Lonely Planet for Hawaii tour books. Frommers is great, too.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,973,721 times
It's really hard to advise not knowing what you like to do on vacation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-25-2017, 06:10 PM

In response to the people saying they don't know what to suggest because I haven't said anything specific, I wanted your opinion on what you think is good about Hawaii in general! (not tourist websites etc)

(We'd most likely be staying in Waikiki if we do go since we've never been and would want to do all the "touristy" things first).

So maybe a better question would be: What can you do in Oahu if you're based in Waikiki? Is it easy to go on day trips to volcanoes and other natural attractions if you want to escape from the urban area for a day? Would renting a car be a good option to explore the rest of the island or is a tour better? What is the weather like in early December? What is your opinion of Waikiki? (beautiful, busy, etc).

We don't really have many expectations as we have never been overseas so basically anything would be amazing and interesting in our eyes!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:33 PM

51 posts, read 119,665 times
Don’t stay in Waikiki. It’s got crime, bums, drugs, it’s like las Angeles on an island. If go to Oahu recant a car and go to a resort away from the hustle and bustle.... December in Hawaii has big waves, snorkeling is probably out. Oahu has great hiking

Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,973,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhoneytaco View Post
In response to the people saying they don't know what to suggest because I haven't said anything specific, I wanted your opinion on what you think is good about Hawaii in general! (not tourist websites etc)

(We'd most likely be staying in Waikiki if we do go since we've never been and would want to do all the "touristy" things first).

So maybe a better question would be: What can you do in Oahu if you're based in Waikiki? Is it easy to go on day trips to volcanoes and other natural attractions if you want to escape from the urban area for a day? Would renting a car be a good option to explore the rest of the island or is a tour better? What is the weather like in early December? What is your opinion of Waikiki? (beautiful, busy, etc).

We don't really have many expectations as we have never been overseas so basically anything would be amazing and interesting in our eyes!
If you are in Waikiki all there are dormant volcanoes, Diamond Head as an example.

Waikiki is nice if you like touristy stuff, you can learn to surf and take tours from there. I always prefer cars, but you could work it out on tours. The North Shore is popular, and so is Kuuloa Ranch and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Lots of areas to go hike to falls if you have a car, not tours to that stuff usually.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixbar View Post
Don’t stay in Waikiki. It’s got crime, bums, drugs, it’s like las Angeles on an island. If go to Oahu recant a car and go to a resort away from the hustle and bustle.... December in Hawaii has big waves, snorkeling is probably out. Oahu has great hiking
Haha! I'm from Melbourne so I'm no stranger to hustle and bustle - but yeah, sadly most places do have more crime in the CBD locations. Thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii