Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 11:33 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times

Advertisements

A little above average, but normal. Tourist deaths and waikiki suicides tend to be hushed up more than anything. Bad press not good for tourism.

Plenty tourists ignore rules, classic vacation mentality. The problem with doing that in Hawaii, a location with plenty of nature attractions, is that doing so can be deadly. Mother nature is unforgiving to people's stupidity, and if you do something idiotic and don't die, you should count yourself blessed. Many aren't so fortunate and return home in body bags, every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not really. A surprising number of people seem to think of the ocean as nothing more than a very big swimming pool. And they see absolutely no issues with going into it even knowing they don't swim well (or at all). One of the top questions I see on travel and cruise forums is "Can I go snorkeling even though I don't know how to swim?" And what's really alarming is the number of people who answer "Yes!"
Correct. Just look at all the people that die at queen's bath, despite all the warnings. People think they're too smart for the dumb locals and warning signs. Geez, how much more explicit can you get?

Old 05-13-2020, 01:01 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
This has been going on for decades and decades, pretty much since commercial air travel. Folks feel really entitled since they are on their 'expensive Hawaiian vacation'. Since they're spending so much (and yet never think that every vacation we take as residents of Hawaii is a similar 'expensive' -airfare, hotel, car rental type vacation and we are from a really high cost of living area) anyway, they are on their 'once in a lifetime' vacation and they are therefore entitled to pretty much whatever they want.

They are also here for a very limited time, so when we look at the ocean and know it's really not a good day to go swim at that beach, they look at their itinerary and realize they have only one day left so they go swim even though they really shouldn't.

Then, as the OP has also requested, tourists seem to expect signs to be posted. At what point does common sense kick in? If you can't swim or aren't a good swimmer and there's rough water but there isn't a sign posted - does that then mean it's safe to swim? How can anyone come to that conclusion?

Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
To be fair, warnings (about rip tides and strong surf) in Hawaii could be a little more conspicuous. I will agree that the red flag is not always enough to keep non-cautious people out of the water (smh).

There are probably 2 main reasons why people drown in Hawaii (aside from some old guy having a heart attack)

1. they are unable or unwilling to accurately assess their ability to swim
2. they underestimate the strength of the pacific ocean

Both have been mentioned in posts above.

Many people come visit in winter when the ocean is at it's most turbulent and powerful. Also I think a lot of people compare Hawaii to the Caribbean islands or Cancun MX. The pacific is NOT the Caribbean sea, nor the Gulf of Mexico. Those are much more gentler bodies of water. Even the Atlantic coast is more tame than the Pacific.

I hate that people get this idea that Hawaii is somehow a safe, alternative universe where you get to do anything you want and no harm will come to you. I blame it on marketing.
To be fair, people are just stupid. Typical attitude in some parts of the mainland is "I know better than you and I do what i like". If you're going to the beach, at least go to one with lifeguards. If a lifeguard spots you doing something stupid, and they're well versed in seeing stupidity, at least you have a chance they'll warn you or come save you. If in doubt, ask.

The ocean can look calm to the untrained eye, but if there is a well well worn warning flag cautioning currents and swimming, chances are, this may be below the surface.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
This has been going on for decades and decades, pretty much since commercial air travel. Folks feel really entitled since they are on their 'expensive Hawaiian vacation'. Since they're spending so much (and yet never think that every vacation we take as residents of Hawaii is a similar 'expensive' -airfare, hotel, car rental type vacation and we are from a really high cost of living area) anyway, they are on their 'once in a lifetime' vacation and they are therefore entitled to pretty much whatever they want.

They are also here for a very limited time, so when we look at the ocean and know it's really not a good day to go swim at that beach, they look at their itinerary and realize they have only one day left so they go swim even though they really shouldn't.

Then, as the OP has also requested, tourists seem to expect signs to be posted. At what point does common sense kick in? If you can't swim or aren't a good swimmer and there's rough water but there isn't a sign posted - does that then mean it's safe to swim? How can anyone come to that conclusion?
It's like they expect the entire beach to be roped off, so they can complain that you're violating their right to sit on the beach or swim in the water. Then climb over the ropes, and do what they want anyways Just like people do when hiking on illegal trails, then need to be rescued by helicopters at taxpayer expense.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:08 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
It always amazes me that tourists turn their backs to the ocean in order to take pictures. Now there is a difference between turning your back ay Waikiki and turning your back on the rocks between sandy beach and hanauma bay.

We always used to go to the toilet bowl at hanauma bay; I grew up in Hawaii Kai and my cousins cousins used to be caretakers for hanauma bay and lived above the old snack bar and used to have the run of the beach late into the night. We watched the tourists drink then jump into the hole. Others would deliberately go underwater when the water was rushing out.

There were times at sandy beach when the flags were up and we would just sit and watch the waves. Invariably, some tourists would run into the water and get into trouble.
I never understood why tourists see flags, see the locals on the beach NOT in the water and go in anyway.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
It always amazes me that tourists turn their backs to the ocean in order to take pictures. Now there is a difference between turning your back ay Waikiki and turning your back on the rocks between sandy beach and hanauma bay.

We always used to go to the toilet bowl at hanauma bay; I grew up in Hawaii Kai and my cousins cousins used to be caretakers for hanauma bay and lived above the old snack bar and used to have the run of the beach late into the night. We watched the tourists drink then jump into the hole. Others would deliberately go underwater when the water was rushing out.

There were times at sandy beach when the flags were up and we would just sit and watch the waves. Invariably, some tourists would run into the water and get into trouble.
I never understood why tourists see flags, see the locals on the beach NOT in the water and go in anyway.
I think tourists (particularly first-time tourists) find Hawaii to be such a magical place that they just don't believe anything bad could happen to them here.

Older people go snorkeling just like they did as kids without realizing what a strain it puts on their bodies. Heart attacks are a common result.

If I'm going to be in water over my head in depth for any length of time, I take a flotation device with me. Usually a 6"-diameter noodle. Just enough that I don't get overwhelmed.

Several times at Black Rock I've had people swim up and ask to hold on to my floatie "to catch my breath". Often they are only middle-aged.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:27 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
It always amazes me that tourists turn their backs to the ocean in order to take pictures.
Why shouldn't they turn their backs to the ocean?

Seriously, one thing you have to remember is that the majority of tourists did NOT grow up close to the ocean. So precautions that are second nature to you (such as never turning your back to the ocean) they literally don't know. And as a result it never occurs to them that they are doing things that are dangerous. Sometimes that results in a tragedy.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:54 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why shouldn't they turn their backs to the ocean?

Seriously, one thing you have to remember is that the majority of tourists did NOT grow up close to the ocean. So precautions that are second nature to you (such as never turning your back to the ocean) they literally don't know. And as a result it never occurs to them that they are doing things that are dangerous. Sometimes that results in a tragedy.
Well, when you go onto the sharp, slippery rocks to take pictures because the water looks so cool when it crashes onto the rocks, sending the water 6 feet above the rocks and recedes quickly back into the open ocean it is just plain stupid.

Then people risk their lives to trying to save you or recover your body that has been battered by the waves slamming against the sharp rocks, or finding your body in an underwater cave or just wasting time and money searching the open ocean.

Another class of idiots that willfully ignore the signs and fences because they are so special that the warnings could not possibly apply to themselves.

A young man on his h.s. graduation trip decided to straddle the Halona blowhole. He went up in the air and then was sucked through the hole into the ocean - all in front of his horrified family.

He died and I think his parents sued (it has been a long time to remember what happened after he died). He died because he was stupid. It was a needless death because he thought it would be funny and the pictures/video would be funny and cool.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:25 PM

well, stupidity isnt limited to tourists to hawaii. news just reported that a woman trespassed illegally into yellowstone and fell into old faithfuls thermal vent.... warning signs not good enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: