Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 05:01 PM

819 posts, read 583,366 times

Advertisements

There was a feature on the news last night about how nine tourists have drowned in the last two weeks; many while snorkeling.

Any ideas about why this is happening? Is the water too rough or too chilly and people are staying in it for too long?

Two years ago we attended a family wedding and the father of the bride actually drowned the next day while swimming. This happened at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. Yes, there were red flags up and the waves were bigger than I'd have preferred but tourists have a certain mentality when on vacation. If the beaches are that dangerous, CLOSE THEM or put up serious warning signs. "We advise you not to swim today". Something. Anything.

My tuppence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 05:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Above average - but not uncommon. It isn't water temperature - except for Hilo, ocean temps are running mid-70's right now. Compare that to, lets say Tampa, where I am traveling for work this week, the gulf/bay temperature is running about 61 - and people are swimming in it, brrrrr.

My guess why so many drownings, lack of personal accountability (for which many pay the ultimate price), people need to know their own limitations on swimming ability, physical issues, and just plain common sense.

Roughly 900 have drowned the past 10 years in Hawaii. Visitors drown at 9x the rate of locals.

Hawaii Tourists Drown At Nine Times The Rate Of Locals

Old 02-01-2018, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'd imagine residents of Hawaii just shrug it off to tourists being stupid. Yes, they (we) are - we're on vacation and everything is supposed to be rosy. Then we go home and become regular, functional citizens again. Warn us of the danger of rough surf - loudly warn us - because we are too dumb to take it seriously otherwise.

Please.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:53 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Above average - but not uncommon. It isn't water temperature - except for Hilo, ocean temps are running mid-70's right now. Compare that to, lets say Tampa, where I am traveling for work this week, the gulf/bay temperature is running about 61 - and people are swimming in it, brrrrr.

My guess why so many drownings, lack of personal accountability (for which many pay the ultimate price), people need to know their own limitations on swimming ability, physical issues, and just plain common sense.

Roughly 900 have drowned the past 10 years in Hawaii. Visitors drown at 9x the rate of locals.

Hawaii Tourists Drown At Nine Times The Rate Of Locals
Paddling friend of mine is the South MFD Captain, they have found a link between certain snorkeling masks and carbon dioxide poisoning. Take carbon monoxide+iffy cardio condition+first time snorkeling and a bad outcome is no surprise. One fellow, just the other day, was in knee deep water....... Dead.....And a floating dead snorkeler looks like a live one, until you notice they haven't moved for a while, and then it's too late.

http://mauiwatch.com/2018/01/mfd-nin...eaths-13-days/
Nine deaths in thirteen days, it's the killer opihi.

Last edited by Jungjohann; 02-01-2018 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 06:06 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'd imagine residents of Hawaii just shrug it off to tourists being stupid. Yes, they (we) are - we're on vacation and everything is supposed to be rosy. Then we go home and become regular, functional citizens again. Warn us of the danger of rough surf - loudly warn us - because we are too dumb to take it seriously otherwise.

Please.
I have read that 8 of the recent death were in Maui waters. 6 of the 8 were tourists. 2 were using the masks Jungjohann mentioned. Most were at beaches with no lifeguards.

Above you mention "warn us of the danger of rough surf". I feel that is just an attempt to remove people from there own personal responsibility for the risks the take. Everyone knows the oceans are dangerous. If people aren't strong swimmers, only swim at beaches with life guards. Wear a banana belt if your not sure of your abilities ... etc.

Even the father in law who died in the post above went into the ocean even when the red flags were up.

You know, I've seen so many people doing so many dangerous things that I'm surprised there are not more deaths actually.

Anyway, 8 deaths in Maui in a short period of time is unusual. If in doubt, stay out.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:37 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Everyone knows the oceans are dangerous.
Not really. A surprising number of people seem to think of the ocean as nothing more than a very big swimming pool. And they see absolutely no issues with going into it even knowing they don't swim well (or at all). One of the top questions I see on travel and cruise forums is "Can I go snorkeling even though I don't know how to swim?" And what's really alarming is the number of people who answer "Yes!"

Last edited by Aredhel; 02-01-2018 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 PM

163 posts, read 268,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not really. A surprising number of people seem to think of the ocean as nothing more than a very big swimming pool. And they see absolutely no issues with going into it even knowing they don't swim well (or at all). One of the top questions I see on travel and cruise forums is "Can I go snorkeling even though I don't know how to swim?" And what's really alarming is the number of people who answer "Yes!"

Strange, but hang with me for a second on this. lol

When Moana came out all these people had "theories" about how she was actually controlling the ocean (though the directors said the opposite). I was annoyed because it was obvious that the ocean was an actual character, but it fits with some people's mentality that nature can be conquered and controlled by humanity. Even though Moana was literally talking to it and it was answering her, folks just couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that a body of water can do what it wants without human permission or intervention.

The part when she gets her foot stuck and keeps getting hit by waves actually happened to me. I was just getting shoved down over and over and I seriously thought I was going to die because I couldn't get to the surface even though I could see it. But like her, I didn't know what I was doing and I almost paid for that with my life.

Other than being about Polynesians, the thing I loved most about the Moana movie was how it made the ocean sentient. It really does feel like a person sometimes. You think you're doing okay and Ocean says, "Nah. Not today!".

Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 AM

310 posts, read 446,998 times
There was a documentary on shark attacks a while back. Found that this area in Maui tends to attract a lot of sharks because of the flow of the water between the islands. It brings a lot of fish around the Reefs in the area which attracts the sharks. I forgot the name of the documentary, so I cannot put the link here.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Paddling friend of mine is the South MFD Captain, they have found a link between certain snorkeling masks and carbon dioxide poisoning. Take carbon monoxide+iffy cardio condition+first time snorkeling and a bad outcome is no surprise. One fellow, just the other day, was in knee deep water....... Dead.....And a floating dead snorkeler looks like a live one, until you notice they haven't moved for a while, and then it's too late.

MFD: Nine Drowning Deaths in 13 Days - MAUIWatch
Nine deaths in thirteen days, it's the killer opihi.

Wow, that is amazing. Carbon dioxide, who would have thought? I bring my own mask when going to places that have snorkeling. Will do some research on this subject. Thanks!!!

Old 02-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I have read that 8 of the recent death were in Maui waters. 6 of the 8 were tourists. 2 were using the masks Jungjohann mentioned. Most were at beaches with no lifeguards.

Even the father in law who died in the post above went into the ocean even when the red flags were up.
Yes, he did. He was a very strong swimmer and had been swimming in that exact spot for many years. He was still a tourist and maybe just didn't understand how strong the current was. He was found floating in the water, dead. So awful. Some people really need it drilled into them to respect the ocean more than they think they do.

In the end, we do have to take personal responsibility but that's no real consolation for the devastated family left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: