Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:05 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Taxes are typically the least of most people’s concern.
You should spend time on the C-D Retirement forum, or any retirement forum for that matter. Taxes are a big topic of conversation among people who are retired or nearing it. My post was really directed at people who are considering moving and retiring to Hawaii (I believe I put moving/retiring at the top of it). Perhaps I should have posted it in the Retirement area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 02:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
You should spend time on the C-D Retirement forum, or any retirement forum for that matter. Taxes are a big topic of conversation among people who are retired or nearing it. My post was really directed at people who are considering moving and retiring to Hawaii (I believe I put moving/retiring at the top of it). Perhaps I should have posted it in the Retirement area.
I suppose.

But in my opinion if taxes are the make or break dealbreaker - perhaps one should scratch Hawaii off the list. Would think housing would be a higher priority in low cost states like Arizona or Florida which also have no state income tax.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:20 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
I suppose.

But in my opinion if taxes are the make or break dealbreaker - perhaps one should scratch Hawaii off the list. Would think housing would be a higher priority in low cost states like Arizona or Florida which also have no state income tax.

Most people consider all the factors.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-02-2019, 11:14 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Utilities seem to be under-reported.

You can save some money if your house is not hooked up to the sewage system by having cesspool or installing septic tank. But the former requires hefty cleaning charge and the latter demands huge installation cost.
That is incorrect. Cesspools are banned entirely and septic systems are only allowed if the city/state does not already have infrastructure available at your property. Unfortunately, you do not have a choice.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,052 times
Quote:
I suppose.

I agree that housing costs are a greater concern in Hawaii than taxes. You can buy 2 to 3 times the house in Florida compared to Hawaii if the Florida house is not next to the coastline. For people that have chronic health problems now or in the future, Hawaii is not the best place to consider since the health care in Hawaii is at the bottom of the barrel. If people have a significant retirement income stream, or they are still working with a high income, high income taxes are a big concern. Some very high tax states like California and New York are experiencing a loss of affluent people to no income tax states. Those people are fed up with paying the high state income taxes.

Arizona has a state income tax. The 7 states that do not have state income tax are:
Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Old 03-04-2019, 11:51 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
But the biggest saving is that we don't have (or need) a furnace or A/C.
If you don't have solar panels and you do have A/C, you will definitely spend more on utilities.
How common is it for Hawaiian residents to go without A/C? For any/all the islands?
Quote:
Would think housing would be a higher priority in low cost states like Arizona or Florida which also have no state income tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Arizona has a state income tax.
Yes, wanted to point out that the state of Arizona does indeed have state income tax.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
That is incorrect. Cesspools are banned entirely and septic systems are only allowed if the city/state does not already have infrastructure available at your property. Unfortunately, you do not have a choice.
According to State Department of Health, there are still about 11,000 properties with cesspool in Oahu. They will be gradually phased out completely by 2050:
Wastewater Branch | CESSPOOLS IN HAWAI’I

Old 03-04-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
For people that have chronic health problems now or in the future, Hawaii is not the best place to consider since the health care in Hawaii is at the bottom of the barrel.
Actually Hawaii is always ranked in the top 5 in Quality of Health Care according to various studies:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...thcare-quality

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...th-care/23457/

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...ealthcare.html

Most likely you will live longer and healthier if you retire in Hawaii:

Life expectancy in Hawaii: 81.3 yrs
Life expectancy in Florida: 79.6 yrs
Life expectancy in Arizona: 79.5 yrs

Old 03-04-2019, 01:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Actually Hawaii is always ranked in the top 5 in Quality of Health Care according to various studies:

Most likely you will live longer and healthier if you retire in Hawaii:

Life expectancy in Hawaii: 81.3 yrs
Life expectancy in Florida: 79.6 yrs
Life expectancy in Arizona: 79.5 yrs
Quality of healthcare means nothing to you if you live on an outer island, get in a serious car wreck, and they can't fly you to Honolulu in time. It also doesn't mean a whole lot if you need certain procedures only offered on the mainland.

Life expectancy is skewed due to the high population of Asians - specifically Japanese (average 84.7) and Chinese (average 87.7) and Filipino (average 84.3). Native Hawaiians don't even average out to the US average - they are at 76.6 in Hawaii.

Retiring in Hawaii and living longer and healthier have nothing to do with each other.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It also doesn't mean a whole lot if you need certain procedures only offered on the mainland.
Those special procedures can only be performed in certain selected hospitals on Mainland. Hawaii is no different from North Dakota where residents have to fly to certain hospital in some cities to have that procedure performed.

Read those rankings and their criteria. Ethnicity is not mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: