Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
you keep saying things like this and I keep asking for statistics to back up your claim. Haven't seen any yet!
I can say at Hawaiian Airlines, one of the largest employers in the state who had access to HR data while I was there - about 50% of Mainland/Canada hires left year 1 and roughly 90% left at year 2. Generally, if you made it past year 2 - they stuck it out unless they got a greater opportunity career wise, not because they wanted to leave Hawaii at that point.

After dozens of exit interviews - in my opinion, most regretted their decision as it set them back considerably financially (taking large pay cut, moving expenses, high rent, buying/selling home, etc). As much as you try to weed out dreamers - they still get thru as they are smart enough in the interview process to know that is usually a dealbreaker.

The fact that Hawaii's population declined in 2018 is another possible indicator people may not stick it out.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/04/ha...ic-challenges/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 01:29 PM

54 posts, read 41,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Just tell them it was a WITSEC option.

Now that is a good one! I don't know about IRL, but in the movies I can't recall HI ever being an option for that.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Tell them you changed your mind and you're moving to North Dakota or Wisconsin or Minnesota (or pick somewhere else totally opposite from Hawaii) and then see what they say? Ask them if they are going to visit you after you move?

You do know the opinions would still fly, lol

These days I just say we aren't 100% sure what our plans are. That isn't a total fabrication, as we do want to do some traveling before we settle...(in HI, I just leave that part out).

A lot of our good friends have been 100% supportive though. They say they will visit, and I am sure one or two of them might do that. We'll see.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you can't be bothered to live a minimalistic lifestyle before you move to Hawaii - then your chances of succeeding are probably low if all us a sudden you had a flash of minimalism once you get to Hawaii.....

I agree. That flash would be "forced" minimalism, and I can't see many people adopting it that way. Personally, I am not sure I would have been able to adopt much of a minimalist lifestyle back 20 years ago. I look at life and all the unnecessary "things" completely different now. Once you really downsize your life it brings all kinds of revelations.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:46 PM

451 posts, read 411,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemind21 View Post
' .......I look at life and all the unnecessary "things" completely different now. Once you really downsize your life it brings all kinds of revelations....
Amen to that! Amazing how much is really unnecessary.

With regard to Hawai'i population growth, or a lack of it, from 2010-2018 their has been a statewide increase in population of approx. 4.4%. We tend to age in place and produce babies.

There was negative population growth in 2017 and 2018, however it apparently consists of younger cohorts looking for better economic opportunities. That's concerning as it decreases needed skill sets within the employment pool, tax revenues, etc., etc. As a percentage of the population, older cohorts have substantially increased, and as people age, they tend to consume less (outside of healthcare) and pay less taxes.

Interestingly, we've had two consecutive years of surpluses in the state budget.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemind21 View Post

A lot of our good friends have been 100% supportive though. They say they will visit, and I am sure one or two of them might do that. We'll see.
My wife and I are amazed at how many friends want to come stay with us now that we live in Hawai'i.
We've had years where it was literally every few months that we had family or friends visiting.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
My wife and I are amazed at how many friends want to come stay with us now that we live in Hawai'i.
We've had years where it was literally every few months that we had family or friends visiting.
Uh - not exactly amazing if they don't have to pay for a hotel.......

Old 04-25-2019, 08:56 PM

206 posts, read 186,422 times
Hawaii would be a great place to retire if you can afford it, or can cut your expenses.

It is a completely horrible place to raise a new family unless you have extended family here to rely on, or have a very rare high paying job in the 200k plus range.

Seriously though, I look around and to me its turning into one giant retirement community. Plenty of gray hair but not many young professionals. They're all moved on to better jobs and cheaper COL on the mainland. Let's see how long the tourism industry can prop up the economy. What's rail up to now? 10 billion?

I'm very close to moving away myself. Oregon seems nice. Washington maybe. There's just so much to see and do on the mainland I don't know why you would stick yourself on one of the most remote places on earth unless you've already done all that and plan to retire here.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
They're all moved on to better jobs and cheaper COL on the mainland.
I've interacted with perhaps 150+ interns from UH - Never met one who planned to stay in Hawaii after graduation. None cited cost of living - all stated career/the chosen field not available in Hawaii. I'd half had a 5 to 10+ year to come back after they banked experience.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:40 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Seems odd U of H would be teaching career choices that aren't in Hawaii? It's a school that is supposed to have pretty good ratings, I think?

When folks give you stink about moving to Hawaii, tell them you're planning on quitting your job and becoming a professional surfer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii