Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:31 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times

Advertisements

Well, we are flying Hawaiian and here's why:
Prices are alot less than any other airline and they are allowing our dog in the
cabin as 'carry on' from Honolulu to the BI at n/c. From Seattle to Honolulu. Granted, our dog is only a 6 lbs Papillion, so that works for us being that weight is not the issue. We're working the same routine with our Yorkie the end of July if all goes well.
A hui hou
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 17,378 times
Anyone interested in flying their dogs in cabin around August/September 2008 should check out forums.dogtravelcompany.net Speciafically forums.dogtravelcompany.net/user/Discussion.aspx?id=79266

I am part of a group of folks that are trying to get a group together to charter a flight from Southern California to Honolulu which will allow dogs in cabin. I'm desperado on the forums over there.

You can PM me here if you have any trouble finding the group.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 53,191 times
God I will do anything to get my dog into the cabin with me. He weighs ten lbs, when I heard ATA went out of business my heart sank. I just posted my info over on the forum at dogtravelcompany.net. I hope we can all make this work.

Last edited by alistrand; 04-27-2008 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-27-2008, 11:32 PM

23 posts, read 72,820 times
Smile More Info

Just an update on everything I found this week.
I talked with United, Hawaiian and US Air this week - all without any luck. I also talked to Phx, Lahaina and CA travel agents who offered to pass on my concerns about trying to get Pets to Hawaii in the Cabin now to their airline reps.
Hawaiian said no way and what's more no pets as checked in now from April 15th to Oct 15th!. United said they would fly one cat in the cabin and one as checked in from Phx to LAX, then IF it was under 85 degC they would check both cats to Hawaii. But it was up to the LAX handlers and I could get stuck in LAX with both cats and not allowed to fly! Otherwise I could fly through Denver or San Francisco with 6 hour layovers! USAir customer service ( not general reservations) seemed prepared to issue me with tickets with the cats in the cabin for May 6th from Phx to Honolulu until I asked to put my husband in first class - then the call went dead and 3 further calls got me only "the policy is no pets in the cabin to Hawaii".
I contacted Dog travel company and they agreed so long as the cats were in carriers and would not be upset by the dogs on leashes they could travel to Hawaii - so I posted on their forum. Fingers crossed - so we are on the ASAP list.
Good news is I filed all my paperwork with Honolulu Quarantine station and they called us Friday afternoon to confirm the cats had permission for direct release starting Saturday 26th! So we are ready as soon as an empty leg is available.
I also called 3 charter brokers (2 in CA and a major one in Boston) and asked them to check for empty legs to Hawaii for me for the next 4 weeks.
Back up plan is to use Pacific Air Cargo who fly live animals to Hawaii from LAX at 2.30am. We would not be traveling with the cats and one of us would have to put the cats on the flight at LAX and the other be in Honolulu to collect them - a logistics nightmare - which is why it is the back up - last resort plan.
Oh did I mention we close on the Arizona house mid May!
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Last edited by rmm13; 04-27-2008 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: remove Smile URL

Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm13 View Post
Just an update on everything I found this week.
I talked with United, Hawaiian and US Air this week - all without any luck.
You did not mention Continental, which others here have said they are using because Continental has a separate pressurized compartment for pets. Suggest you give them a call.

Hank

Old 04-28-2008, 02:22 PM

10 posts, read 38,116 times
Quote:
We are planning to move permanently to Maui, HI late May to get out of the Arizona heat.
We have everything sorted and and close of the house tomorrow, however with ATA going out of business a couple of weeks ago, I have no longer a way to bring my 2 cats, (who have all their rabies test, vaccines and chips ready done can come April 26th) over in the Cabin. I believe ATA were the only airline allowing Pets in the Cabin flying INTO Hawaii.

Anyone know if the other airlines are changing policy to help us pet owners out? Is there any service which could help here? I contacted a number of Air Charter Brokers and have them checking for empty legs into Honolulu or Maui from AZ or CA, Anyone else with this problem who would work with me?
We are trying to get a charter together thru DogTravel.com.....but most of us want to get there the end of August beginning of September if you are intersted go to the sight and add a post to the forum.
The more the merrier

Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Dog travel and Continental

Thanks for the suggestions - I did sign up with dog travel company Thursday - and hope to be on the empty leg ASAP.
I didn't check Continental as I would have to go through either Houston or New York from Phoenix to go to Honolulu! 12 - 23 hours - which doesn't work for our location!.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,018 times
Quote:
Hawaiian said no way and what's more no pets as checked in now from April 15th to Oct 15th!.
Are you sure? Is it because of where you're flying from? I have a reservation for me & my dog on Hawaiian on May 21. (I hope!) I know I said in an earlier post we're not doing Hawaiian because of the restrictions on number of pets per passenger, but it turns out Spouse & I are moving about two weeks apart. So: dog & me on Hawaiian. Cats on Continental. Spouse on whatever airline turns out to be cheapest. Sheesh!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 PM

32 posts, read 109,906 times
Hi US airways does allow pets in the cabin from Phoenix. We are moving to Maui at the end of the summer, and decided to check out other airlines other than ATA There is a website that you can go to it is called pettravel.com and it lists all the airlines. I called US Airways and they gave me the dimensions for under the seat travel.. The medium Sherpa soft carrier will fit.
I think Delta also let pets in the cabin, but can't remember for sure.
Good Luck

Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 PM

True but only as far as LAX!.
Quote from their web site;
Hawaii pet quarantine information
Hawaii is a rabies-free state. To prevent rabies from entering the state, the law requires that dogs, cats and carnivores complete a mandatory rabies quarantine. US Airways will not accept cabin pets for travel to/from Hawaii. US Airways will only permit service animals and emotional support animals in the cabin for travel
to/from Hawaii.

US Airways | Pets

It's near the bottom of the page - top of the page sounds like it is all okay - which is what I tried - I did get transferred to Customer Service as General Reservations said they could help me better. I was hoping they were or have changed their policy - but so far no luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii