Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 09:47 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
And, that is why we can't have nice things, like tourism and wide scale re-opening of our economy.

Because a significant portion of the population has been convinced the whole thing is a hoax or a conspiracy, and refuses to wear a mask or social distance, so they can "own the libs".
Or, you reopen - and high risk people where a N95 mask and shelter in place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:28 AM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Or, you reopen - and high risk people where a N95 mask and shelter in place
I thought you said above you know why masks should be worn?

They are much more effective in protecting others from virus the wearer is shedding than they are in protecting the wearer from virus shed by others. Is it really so much too ask?

Old 07-16-2020, 11:07 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
I thought you said above you know why masks should be worn?

They are much more effective in protecting others from virus the wearer is shedding than they are in protecting the wearer from virus shed by others. Is it really so much too ask?
Why are you mixing completing different things? Mask wearing to help others to help not get the virus versus (which is not 100% effective) versus wearing a N95 mask to prevent you from getting the virus (which is near 100% effective). Do you know what a N95 mask is?

I'll try this again. If you are fearful - have underlying conditions - obese - old - buy an N95 mask and shelter in place, you won't get the virus.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:34 AM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Why are you mixing completing different things? Mask wearing to help others to help not get the virus versus (which is not 100% effective) versus wearing a N95 mask to prevent you from getting the virus (which is near 100% effective). Do you know what a N95 mask is?

I'll try this again. If you are fearful - have underlying conditions - obese - old - buy an N95 mask and shelter in place, you won't get the virus.
So, too much to ask.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:26 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Its not just from sneezing and coughing, simply talking, and even exhaling, will put virus carrying aerosol and droplet in the air, a significant portion of which would be stopped by a mask.

Google is your friend:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1920&bih=937
So how does the mask effectively stop the virus from exiting the mask? Viruses aren’t only in droplets from your mouth. How far do these droplets travel when you talk? Now talking spreads the virus? I have been stuck in an police vehicle For 8 hours m plenty of times with guys who have come to work sick and I never caught the cold. You why, because they didn’t sneeze or cough in my face.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:52 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
So how does the mask effectively stop the virus from exiting the mask? Viruses aren’t only in droplets from your mouth. How far do these droplets travel when you talk? Now talking spreads the virus? I have been stuck in an police vehicle For 8 hours m plenty of times with guys who have come to work sick and I never caught the cold. You why, because they didn’t sneeze or cough in my face.
I know you just don’t get it ... But I’ll share another little anecdotal example to demonstrate the difference between “knowing” and “not knowing.”

I can’t remember the last time I caught even a common cold. Over 25 years for certain ... maybe 30. I caught colds in my youth and younger years but when the kids’ mother was ill and I was caretaker for her and whole family I just had a feeling I’d never get sick again. It’s been over 25 years now. During these years since I have babysat for my grandkids at least several hundred days . Including when they’ve been sick with colds and flus. And they DO cough and sneeze in my face, plenty.

Why don’t I catch what they’ve got (and other people around me transmit for years)?

My mother died of a sudden aneurism at age 99. She said she’d never had a cold or flu in her life ... and I believe that to be likely because I never knew her to be sick in my lifetime.

Immune systems are variable from person to person and from time to time.

You seriously should reconsider how you assert medical “knowledge”.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I see you never took Logic 101. No offense. Most people never have. “Has helped” is an absolute affirmative. Saying “it’s unknown (at this time) whether hydroxychloroquine is an effective treatment for Covid19” is neither an affirmation nor negation of it’s effect.

Heh

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Believer
Lol, I did not take logic 101, but through life experience I think I’m realistic, rational, and logical sentient being. Has helped doesn’t refer to helping everyone. Hydroxycholoquin hasn’t helped everyone. For some it has been too late. That’s an absolute.

You couldn’t help yourself bringing up POSTUS and blaming him for being polarizing when in fact it is the left who has made this virus political, not scientific.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I know you just don’t get it ... But I’ll share another little anecdotal example to demonstrate the difference between “knowing” and “not knowing.”

I can’t remember the last time I caught even a common cold. Over 25 years for certain ... maybe 30. I caught colds in my youth and younger years but when the kids’ mother was ill and I was caretaker for her and whole family I just had a feeling I’d never get sick again. It’s been over 25 years now. During these years since I have babysat for my grandkids at least several hundred days . Including when they’ve been sick with colds and flus. And they DO cough and sneeze in my face, plenty.

Why don’t I catch what they’ve got (and other people around me transmit for years)?

My mother died of a sudden aneurism at age 99. She said she’d never had a cold or flu in her life ... and I believe that to be likely because I never knew her to be sick in my lifetime.

Immune systems are variable from person to person and from time to time.

You seriously should reconsider how you assert medical “knowledge”.
I’m not sure how this is a defense that cloth masks effectively stop viruses?

Old 07-16-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Lol, I did not take logic 101, but through life experience I think I’m realistic, rational, and logical sentient being. Has helped doesn’t refer to helping everyone. Hydroxycholoquin hasn’t helped everyone. For some it has been too late. That’s an absolute.

You couldn’t help yourself bringing up POSTUS and blaming him for being polarizing when in fact it is the left who has made this virus political, not scientific.
Again, you don’t know if it has helped anyone, at all. You believe it has. There is not yet any conclusive evidence. People who recovered after taking the drug might have recovered for other reasons. This is why medical trials are so lengthy and exhaustive.

I didn’t bring up the POTUS. He’s been brought up and back time and again by lots of posters, including you.

Your assessment of who has made the virus political and not scientific is hilarious. Even Trump’s supporters must acknowledge his entire life and career is polarizing ... to accept what he does, to support his actions, is to acknowledge his methodology. Many of his supporters like his methodologies. Many feel they are justifiable. But it is simply undeniable that his strategy and methods are to divide and conquer ... not to unify. But that’s for a different forum.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure how this is a defense that cloth masks effectively stop viruses?
I didn’t say it was. I pointed out that you equated not catching a cold with your co-workers simply avoiding coughing / sneezing in your face :. Ergo masks are pointless. Your attempt at equivalency is a fail.

Here’s what you wrote that I responded to:
Quote:
You don’t know why you didn’t get their colds. That’s the point I made.

As to whether masks reduce the transmission of disease: you’ve had references given by others here, I believe. Why don’t you read them? Do you think surgeons wear masks for fun when they operate on people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii