Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 01:54 PM

64 posts, read 61,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Nyfinesbxtf, regarding your query about millions being infected, if you are given a bag containing 100 peanuts and and told that three of the peanuts are poison and you will die if you eat one, are you going to eat the penauts or throw away the unopened bag?.
And if you don't eat a peanut from the bag, you lose your job, home, income and can't feed your family. I would choose the peanut option. 97% chance of a positive outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 02:08 PM

19 posts, read 18,973 times
I swear there is some embezzlement going on with this state government. They won't pay people unemployment on time, there is no method or consistency to their systems and processes and I bet if you follow the money, it is lining the pockets of people bribed. They are not helping their people at all.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside14 View Post
97% chance of a positive outcome.
That’s just day 1. Each day you eat a peanut your odds get worse

Old 04-19-2020, 03:36 PM

64 posts, read 61,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That’s just day 1. Each day you eat a peanut your odds get worse
A cv infection would happen to an individual one time and the hypothetical 3% outcome would not change. We have made a choice as a society, a total shutdown. We chose a major economic depression and now have to deal with all the consequences that come with it. A few weeks ago the CDC said the 'do nothing' approach would have led to 2.2 million deaths. With the modeling changing so drastically recently, and new promising therapies, the numbers would likely be lower now. As it stands now... We will not go forward with herd immunity, the virus will return, the virus will not mutate into a weaker form, and the whole process starts over.

Maybe this is a better analogy regarding societal risk.
I drive a car for work, shopping, running errands, recreation, etc. and I have been driving daily for almost 50 years. Over 37,000 Americans die in automobile crashes per year. ​More than 90 people die in accidents every day. An additional 3 million are injured or disabled annually.
I'm willing to look at those statistics, weigh out my risks, and make a choice. Every mile I drive increases those risks. As scary as the statistics look, I believe the benefit and freedom that driving a car provides far outweighs the risk so I choose to drive.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
You can mitigate your chances of a car accident by safe driving just as self distancing can mitigate catching a virus.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:44 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
And if that vaccine is off, it’s pointless. Covid-19 hasn’t mutated yet as far as I know and if there have been any mutations, it’s been happening very slowly in comparison to the flu.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...ng-2020-3?op=1

Hydroxychloroquin has been working for Covid-19 from what I have seen. The jury might still be out on the scale of the degree it works, but if hydroxychloroquin turns out to be a treatment for Covid on a big scale, that’s a game changer. There will be a lot less panic. With that said, I believe their are forces out there who do not want hydroxychloroquin to work. Don’t let a good crisis go to waste.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...quine-n2566409

Working from what you've seen? You work in a clinical setting where you conduct clinical trials? Anecdotal comments and observations not backed up with data created from randomized double blind placebo controlled studies are just a bunch of noise. You can form a hypothsis, however you are wasting your time without testing that hypothsis with emperical data.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:41 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitaworm View Post
I swear there is some embezzlement going on with this state government. They won't pay people unemployment on time, there is no method or consistency to their systems and processes and I bet if you follow the money, it is lining the pockets of people bribed. They are not helping their people at all.
I had a friend working on a HRIS software conversion for the state. He was utterly disgusted at the level of corruption and incompetence within the local government. Considering he manages these projects in a number of second and third world countries, that said a lot to me.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:31 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
I think he is one the poorest communicators I have ever witnessed.

However, I agree with the strategy to get it in the press and at least see if it spurs Federal money - it probably won't - but you miss all the shots you don't take.
Yup, I'm sort of half joking when I say I expect him to one day end one of his speeches with a "bdeep, bdeep, that's all folks". And have you also watched Bruce Anderson from the DOH? He's almost as bad. The guy can't go 10 words without uttering an "ummm". Can he appear any more unsure? Public speaking is obviously not a strength for a lot of these Director level and higher positions.
Quote:
Except there is a vaccine against the flu. I can pause my livelihood for a year - why is that such a big deal.
Not sure I can not work for a year with the current unemployment benefits but I'm sure I can last months. What gets me are those that live beyond their means and have basically no savings. One missed paycheck and these people act like the world is ending. Unemployment benefits are the best they've ever been. A lot of people I know are just taking this in stride. Boredom is their biggest complaint. All most need is something to tide them over until they get their first unemployment benefits but obviously many fail to plan for even a month of no income

Old 04-19-2020, 07:31 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post

Not sure I can not work for a year with the current unemployment benefits but I'm sure I can last months. What gets me are those that live beyond their means and have basically no savings. One missed paycheck and these people act like the world is ending. Unemployment benefits are the best they've ever been. A lot of people I know are just taking this in stride. Boredom is their biggest complaint. All most need is something to tide them over until they get their first unemployment benefits but obviously many fail to plan for even a month of no income
If this thing drags on, which unfortunately is likely it will, the unemployment benefits will be extended. It was done with previous recessions, which were far less in scope and depth.

Not trying to pry, but are you a CPA? I'd imagine the firms are still busy, recession or not.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:35 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
[b][color="Blue"]
Recent findings suggest Covid 19 causes strokes, seizures, and even permanent brain damage in those who recover. I don't believe this should be shrugged off as just another "flu".
What are the health ailments that the flu would have caused that are the same as Covid? Ask the second question before coming to conclusions.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 04-19-2020 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii