Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 08:31 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Cheese-whiz. Have you noticed what’s happening in Florida, Texas, California, Arizona ...... et al? Talk about crashing the economy. Open too soon. There you go.
Well, Gee wiz, the deaths are going down. There are more cases because more testing is being done. Don’t open at all what do you think happens to the economy? So let’s shutdown the economy for a virus not as deadly as you thought it was. Death rate is .2% The hysteria is purposely being dragged out by the media for a virus that has a death rate of .05% for people under the age of 50.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 07-06-2020 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 09:18 PM

344 posts, read 250,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Well, Gee wiz, the deaths are going down. There are more cases because more testing is being done. Don’t open at all what do you think happens to the economy? So let’s shutdown the economy for a virus not as deadly as you thought it was. Death rate is .2% The hysteria is purposely being dragged out by the media for a virus that has a death rate of .05% for people under the age of 50.
The notion that the increased cases is just due to more testing has been thoroughly de-bunked. Even the Republican governors in those states have stopped with this canard. The positive test outcome rates have also been rising dramatically. For example, in Florida, the positive test rate was under 5% a few weeks ago, it is now around 18%.

I don't have any problem with the argument that we need to open up the economy the best we can, but we should make those decisions based on a common set of facts.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
In all my posts re: covid19 for the past 5 months, I have never once said what I thought the death rate is. I have pointed out that no one really knows, although we are getting closer to knowing.

I have also pointed out that there are other unknowns that should drive concerns beyond death rate. Other damages to individual health of sufferers include lung and neurological disorders that are being studied for prevalence and length of effect. We are learning that some damages to some patients is severe and permanent.

An example of how unknowns may play may be seen in the history of chicken-pox ... which virus many years later can emerge as shingles. Brutal.
Quote:
Varicella-zoster is a herpes virus that causes chickenpox, a common childhood illness. It is highly contagious. If an adult develops chickenpox, the illness may be more severe. After a person has had chickenpox, the varicella-zoster virus can remain inactive in the body for many years.

Varicella-Zoster Virus (Chickenpox and Shingles ...
All that said, the most significant factor I have mentioned all along, you’ll recall, is the dynamic of rate of infection - not fatality rate. This coronavirus is proving to be extremely contagious. I’ll remind you what that means: if the fatality rate is only 10% of what another annual flu is ... but the rate of infection is 100x greater, then it is just as deadly. If the rate of infection is 200x greater, then it is twice as deadly. This ain’t over yet. So we don’t know yet how deadly it is either way: per 1000 cases or as a total number.

Remember your prediction this wouldn’t likely kill 60,000? We are now more than double that just a couple months after your speculation.

I am as sympathetic to the economic hardships as you are. But here to point out that if the rush to reopen results in a huge acceleration of cases - the economy will crash even harder as the shut downs end up even longer term than they would have if we waited until we clearly have a handle on the whole business.

Lots of people sick doesn’t support a healthy economy. Unlike the flu and other diseases that cycle through our culture, there is no cure or vaccine yet. The only proactive measure to fight this so far is: distancing.

Be well, officer ... Sorry to read about your wife’s employment dilemma

Old 07-06-2020, 09:23 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
The notion that the increased cases is just due to more testing has been thoroughly de-bunked. Even the Republican governors in those states have stopped with this canard. The positive test outcome rates have also been rising dramatically. For example, in Florida, the positive test rate was under 5% a few weeks ago, it is now around 18%.

I don't have any problem with the argument that we need to open up the economy the best we can, but we should make those decisions based on a common set of facts.
Agree.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
In all my posts re: covid19 for the past 5 months, I have never once said what I thought the death rate is. I have pointed out that no one really knows, although we are getting closer to knowing.

I have also pointed out that there are other unknowns that should drive concerns beyond death rate. Other damages to individual health of sufferers include lung and neurological disorders that are being studied for prevalence and length of effect. We are learning that some damages to some patients is severe and permanent.

An example of how unknowns may play may be seen in the history of chicken-pox ... which virus many years later can emerge as shingles. Brutal.

All that said, the most significant factor I have mentioned all along, you’ll recall, is the dynamic of rate of infection - not fatality rate. This coronavirus is proving to be extremely contagious. I’ll remind you what that means: if the fatality rate is only 10% of what another annual flu is ... but the rate of infection is 100x greater, then it is just as deadly. If the rate of infection is 200x greater, then it is twice as deadly. This ain’t over yet. So we don’t know yet how deadly it is either way: per 1000 cases or as a total number.

Remember your prediction this wouldn’t likely kill 60,000? We are now more than double that just a couple months after your speculation.

I am as sympathetic to the economic hardships as you are. But here to point out that if the rush to reopen results in a huge acceleration of cases - the economy will crash even harder as the shut downs end up even longer term than they would have if we waited until we clearly have a handle on the whole business.

Lots of people sick doesn’t support a healthy economy. Unlike the flu and other diseases that cycle through our culture, there is no cure or vaccine yet. The only proactive measure to fight this so far is: distancing.

Be well, officer ... Sorry to read about your wife’s employment dilemma
Those other concerns might not be known for years. So then what? What we do know now is most people who are hospitalized fully recover except those who are put on a ventilator. Most people who are infected don’t even know it. Half of the deaths were from nursing homes that governors put infected patients into. We also know though the infection rate is climbing, the deaths are decreasing, but no one is talking about that in the media. We also know that the death rate is hardly present for those under the age of 50. Those over the age of 65 this virus most definitely is a concern. We need to protect them the best we can. But what is important is the deaths are on a decline. It doesn’t matter that cases are up, what matters is that deaths are going down. Epidemics and pandemics are not based on infections, it’s based on deaths. And every day the death rate is lowering.

I’m not sure how you think our health care system functions, but it for a fact relies on a healthy economy. There isn’t much of a health care system with no economy.

Thank you for your concern with my wife’s employment. She will land something eventually

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 07-06-2020 at 11:56 PM..

Old 07-06-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post

It is obvious the increase of cases is do to more testing. We are learning more people are infected? Has there not been more testing of Covid? Anyway, that is all the media is focusing on, “increase in Covid cases.” The number they should be focusing on and are not is the deaths are dropping. So we are having an uptick in infections, yet the deaths are on the decline. The media won't tell you, but coronavirus deaths have decreased by more than 92% since the virus' peak in April. Being there is no vaccine, natural herd immunity is the best way to slow this virus down.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:45 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Why should the federal government give Hawaii anything if they refuse to open up the state to tourists? Can’t help someone who doesn’t want to help themselves. So an entry level teacher with just a bachelors pay is $37,000. A 20% cut on that salary is just less than $30,000. Lot of mainland hires will not show up if a 20% pay cut is implemented. That along with Hawaii ranking #1 in worst states to teach. Looks like Hawaii will have to turn to the Philippines to hire teachers.
That is for someone without a teaching credential. If you have a credential it's about 10k higher.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
That is for someone without a teaching credential. If you have a credential it's about 10k higher.
My wife would be Class IV step 6 on the salary scale of $57,988 I think.

https://www.hsta.org/portals/0/docum...FINAL-2021.pdf

I see what you are saying, that is without a teaching credential (SATEP).

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 07-07-2020 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-07-2020, 01:16 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Quote:
.....So we are having an uptick in infections, yet the deaths are on the decline. The media won't tell you, but coronavirus deaths have decreased by more than 92% since the virus' peak in April. Being there is no vaccine, natural herd immunity is the best way to slow this virus down.

FYI,

Deaths are reported to be in in decline because of discoveries in clinical treatments within the hospital settings. You learn as you treat patients.

Natural herd immunity? That would propbably require 60-70% of the entire population of the US to become infected. Approximately 225 million people. Even then, nobody knows for sure if once you are infected with Covid19 you cannot acquire it again, and so the notion 'herd immunity', is a still a an unknown.

Ever thought what the US economy and ability to provide medical services would look like if 225 million people were infected with Covid 19 within a relatively short span of time?

In the short term and IMO, our best bet, is a theraputic treatment that will substantially reduce the symptoms of the infection. Again IMO, a safe, workable vaccine that has a modest amount of success (vaccine 1.0) is sometime off in the future.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:37 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
FYI,

Deaths are reported to be in in decline because of discoveries in clinical treatments within the hospital settings. You learn as you treat patients.

Natural herd immunity? That would propbably require 60-70% of the entire population of the US to become infected. Approximately 225 million people. Even then, nobody knows for sure if once you are infected with Covid19 you cannot acquire it again, and so the notion 'herd immunity', is a still a an unknown.

Ever thought what the US economy and ability to provide medical services would look like if 225 million people were infected with Covid 19 within a relatively short span of time?

In the short term and IMO, our best bet, is a theraputic treatment that will substantially reduce the symptoms of the infection. Again IMO, a safe, workable vaccine that has a modest amount of success (vaccine 1.0) is sometime off in the future.
If this is so, then I say that the media shouldn't be screeching as it is about the "spike" in cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii