Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 01:58 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,382,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It means - at least to me - the numbers aren't all that concerning to me when you look at the big picture

We haven't banned smoking, fast food restaurants, or alcohol - yet, they will kill far more people
Those are lifestyles choices. Covid is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 03:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Apparently Covid has made mask wearing a mask a lifestyle choice.

But it is interesting, at least to me, we allow as a society to let people make lifestyle choices we know will kill them. How many people would not die if smoking was banned?

But I as a healthy adult is restricted in my movement when high risk individuals can wear a N95 mask and shelter at home. Seems the high risk individuals have made a lifestyle choice also.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:

But it is interesting, at least to me, we allow as a society to let people make lifestyle choices we know will kill them. How many people would not die if smoking was banned?

But I as a healthy adult is restricted in my movement when high risk individuals can wear a N95 mask and shelter at home. Seems the high risk individuals have made a lifestyle choice also.
Heh

Yes we allow people to make stupid choices. Nevertheless, they ARE choices ... whereas CV19 is not. Agree, nothing is dumber than smoking. Then again, lots of nice, good, otherwise intelligent people smoke, drink to excess, and do bad drugs.

We are being restricted temporarily in our movement - until treatments and prevention protocols become widely available. I don’t like the situation any more than you do. It sucks. Some of it is proving unnecessary and unrealistic. But I‘ve been through worse. When you are under surprise attack, it’s all hands on deck / man your stations while the situation is assessed and response can be coordinated.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:49 PM

344 posts, read 251,803 times
Quote:
We let people drink, but we don't then let them drive where they might hurt someone else.

We let people smoke, but not in most enclosed spaces where their second hand smoke can harm others around them.

You want to go get infected, that is fine, but when you then come around other people (especially in enclosed spaces) and risk infecting them, it seems just as reasonable to require protective measures, in this case a face mask, so you are not spreading your virus to others.

Facemasks are not necessarily for your protection, they are for the protection of people around you.

Edit: I meant this as a response to whtviper's post about allowing people to drink and smoke.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
We let people drink, but we don't then let them drive where they might hurt someone else.

We let people smoke, but not in most enclosed spaces where their second hand smoke can harm others around them.

You want to go get infected, that is fine, but when you then come around other people (especially in enclosed spaces) and risk infecting them, it seems just as reasonable to require protective measures, in this case a face mask, so you are not spreading your virus to others.

Facemasks are not necessarily for your protection, they are for the protection of people around you.

Edit: I meant this as a response to whtviper's post about allowing people to drink and smoke.
Yeah. I could see that

Old 07-15-2020, 06:07 PM

451 posts, read 412,894 times
Quote:

Wearing a mask as a lifestyle choice? No, you wear a mask because you simply don't know if you have become an infected carrier of Covid 19, asymptomatic or otherwise, and if you are shedding virus
everytime you open your mouth. You wear a mask to do your best to protect those you come in contact
with, and hopefully protect yourself from those who are possibly carrying the virus.

In addition, Covid 19 is a novel virus. A novel virus is one that has no vaccine or known cure. Because it
is a novel virus, we know very little about it, and we clearly don't know all the short and long term
mortality risks associated with this disease. Consequenty, we wear masks, practice physical distancing
and freqently wash our digits. It's pretty simple to understand.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Wearing a mask as a lifestyle choice? No, you wear a mask because you simply don't know if you have become an infected carrier of Covid 19, asymptomatic or otherwise, and if you are shedding virus
everytime you open your mouth. You wear a mask to do your best to protect those you come in contact
with, and hopefully protect yourself from those who are possibly carrying the virus.

In addition, Covid 19 is a novel virus. A novel virus is one that has no vaccine or known cure. Because it
is a novel virus, we know very little about it, and we clearly don't know all the short and long term
mortality risks associated with this disease. Consequenty, we wear masks, practice physical distancing
and freqently wash our digits. It's pretty simple to understand.
Sigh - I know why you wear a mask - and I wear one.

One has to have their head in the sand to not see many all across America has decided it is a lifestyle choice.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:29 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,318,361 times
Quote:
You are speaking in absolutes again - when we don’t have absolute answers yet. . The appropriate phrasing would be: “may be helping” ...

Also, plenty debunking out there on the issue of “case counts rising because of more testing.”

And as for polarization: absolutely yes. And THE absolutely most polarizer of everything America is struggling with right now is the POTUS himself. It’s what he does. It’s who he is. It’s what he loves and thrives on and always has his entire life.

And what he’s been throwing smells like it came from a cow’s ass.
Not sure saying has helped is speaking in absolutes unless you say hydroxycholoquin hasn’t helped anyone.

Oh, that’s just one of the reasons for the higher amount of cases is do to more testing. I didn’t say that’s the only reason for case counts.

When the main stream media continually screams at the president which no president in my lifetime has ever had to endure, the polarization is coming from the left. It is the left who has turned covid and pretty much anything else they possibly can into something political. That’s who they are. We now live in a world of cancel culture and anything that doesn’t align with their ideology is racist and any other “ist” and “phobe” they can come up with.

When the President banned China from traveling to the US, what was the lefts position? But the president didn’t do enough. Then he banned travel from Europe, but that wasn’t enough. He did all this when the WHO and CDC were completely downplaying this virus. This president has surrounded himself around every expert, scientist, economist, and epidemiologist that a person can surround themselves around right from the very beginning. When people said there weren’t enough ventilations, what did the president do, he implemented the Defense Production Act for the manufacturing of more PPE and ventilators, he implemented Covid stimulus bills along with congress, he had makeshift buildings like the Javits center turned into hospitals and had Mercy and Comfort Get to the both coasts to take care of patients. There was absolutely no stone left unturned that this president had thrown to tackle this virus and to say otherwise is grossly intellectually dishonest. The media and the left has been disgusting throughout this so called fake pandemic and turned it into everything political In an attempt to destroy a presidency. Their Russia hoax didn’t work, their impeachment Hoax didn’t work, and now we are on their Covid Hoax. When that isn’t working, the leftists turned to this nation is systemically racist which is also a hoax. There is nothing from the left on this so called pandemic rooted in science. What we have is conformity, virtue signaling, and people shaming. If you do not agree with the left, you are just a immoral person wanting people to die. After all anyone who isn’t a leftist is a bad person with ideas. Trump being polarizing, ya, I’m glad he is polarizing and not willing to give into the crazy left and not afraid to call out their destruction. He is showing the difference between Americans who love this nation from those who do not by making shown those who do not by their actions. He is showing the lefts asses. He has exposed them for who they are and who they are are a bunch of Marxists who hate this nation and want to fundamentally transform her into something foreign. Thank God for President Trump. Sadly, he’s just a bandaid, a finger in the hole of a damn ready to burst. Hopefully the silent majority come out and put an end to this anti-American leftism. They are worse than the Bolsheviks and red China because they come at you disguised as the champions of liberty when in fact they are anything but. They are the champions of conformity, statism, administrative state, central government, man made rights, and misery.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 07-15-2020 at 11:45 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
It means - at least to me - the numbers aren't all that concerning to me when you look at the big picture

We haven't banned smoking, fast food restaurants, or alcohol - yet, they will kill far more people
Too bad you can’t post memes. There is a meme of Gene Wilder (Willie Wonka) “so you’re obese, smoke, don’t exercise, and have diabetes, but you want everyone to wear a mask because you care about your health.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Isn’t covid less of a concern for the vast majority of people who keep themselves healthy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii