Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2020, 01:36 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
But, I am glad there is social safety net to help people who need it.
That's the thing - we don't have a social safety net - we've already announced a 10% pay cut for State employees

It will only get worse

Old 10-01-2020, 01:57 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
Quote:
Well, the article seems to get the 40k number from medquest enrollment. My understanding is that is only accessible to low income people, right?

I certanily don't think all the people losing work place coverage are low income, but would not be surprised of the majority from the service sector are not high income workers. Presumably the high income people that have lost their income have an emergency fund for times like this.

I am not trying to justify any of this, it is a horrible situation. But, I am glad there is social safety net to help people who need it.
Not to sound especially jaded, but these social nets generally assist people attempting to game the system. Yes it does help people genuinely in need, but many more are all too willing to collect medical and other benefits for free.

Like I showed in the example, true lower-middle class and up individuals aren't getting much assistance, if any. These are the types of workers most affected by the pandemic. People trying to game the system are basically status quo, pandemic doesn't affect them. They're still getting section 8 rental, EBT, welfare, etc. Middle class worker laid off gets rent deferrals (still owe it), opportunity to wait in 2 hour lines for foodbank handouts, and $5 discount on obama care.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:42 AM

344 posts, read 250,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Not to sound especially jaded, but these social nets generally assist people attempting to game the system. Yes it does help people genuinely in need, but many more are all too willing to collect medical and other benefits for free.

Like I showed in the example, true lower-middle class and up individuals aren't getting much assistance, if any. These are the types of workers most affected by the pandemic. People trying to game the system are basically status quo, pandemic doesn't affect them. They're still getting section 8 rental, EBT, welfare, etc. Middle class worker laid off gets rent deferrals (still owe it), opportunity to wait in 2 hour lines for foodbank handouts, and $5 discount on obama care.

Well, i think we found something we agree on. The safety net is not strong enough for middle class folks.
Hopefully, you are supporting policies and politicians that shore them up, rather than tear down what little there is.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:53 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Today Alaska Airlines announced they will be offering Covid testing for travelers at mainland gateways going to Hawai'i.
This continues to fall in line with what I earlier stated would occur. We'll soon see additional carriers rapidly fall in line. We should also soon expect announcements of Covid testing availability for travel to and from Hawai'i and select international destinations.
Thank you! I've missed that. Edit: I see it's not at the airport though. That's a big minus.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:43 PM

451 posts, read 411,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Thank you! I've missed that. Edit: I see it's not at the airport though. That's a big minus.
Thxs for the edit.

American Airlines also jumped on the Covid testing bandwagon yesterday.

Convenience and pricing will improve as competition heats up for warm bodies to
fill seats. Just my WAG, but I am guessing this will become very easy by
December/January.

Hopefully get a few more people here to scare off the White Tip Reef Sharks that
have been hanging around Kaimana.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:26 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Sad to learn that the President and First Lady have contracted Covid-19. According to the news, the next 48 hours will be critical.

Surprising to note that President Trump is not using hydroxychloroquine as part of his treatment regimen for Covid-19.

Aside from getting the antibody drug and remdesivir, Mr. Trump has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin and a daily aspirin, according to the White House.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-..._copyURL_share

Last edited by Futuremauian; 10-03-2020 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-03-2020, 11:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

Surprising to note that President Trump is not using hydroxychloroquine as part of his treatment regimen for

Aside from getting the antibody drug and remdesivir, Mr. Trump has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin and a daily aspirin, according to the White House.

He already took it awhile ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...quine-n1214301

Old 10-03-2020, 05:52 PM

From what i recall, he was touting hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure, not a cure or treatment. He probably was taking it already.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:59 PM

344 posts, read 250,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Sad to learn that the President and First Lady have contracted Covid-19. According to the news, the next 48 hours will be critical.

Surprising to note that President Trump is not using hydroxychloroquine as part of his treatment regimen for Covid-19.

Presumably, he has reputable physicians supervising his care, as opposed to the demon sperm lady. So, not all that surprising. He is probably not getting bleach either.

Hopefully, the multiple therapies he is getting will work well for him. He is probably getting the best care in the world right now.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Presumably, he has reputable physicians supervising his care, as opposed to the demon sperm lady. So, not all that surprising. He is probably not getting bleach either.

Hopefully, the multiple therapies he is getting will work well for him. He is probably getting the best care in the world right now.
Who is demon sperm lady?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii