Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 11:04 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times

Advertisements

Disparaging article on current Hawaii policy:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/corona...vacy-nightmare

Old 05-26-2020, 11:45 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Disparaging article on current Hawaii policy:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/corona...vacy-nightmare
From the Daily Beast.

A hit piece designed to push buttons. Essentially it states that Hawaii's efforts to protect itself through quarantine might violate someone's civil rights. People "of color" may be at higher risk.

From me.

If everyone follows the well-defined quarantine protocols none of these "fears" will be realized.

In short, don't come here during the quarantine expecting a tourist vacation.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-26-2020 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 12:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
From the Daily Beast.

A hit piece designed to push buttons. Essentially it states that Hawaii's efforts to protect itself through quarantine might violate someone's civil rights. People "of color" may be at higher risk.

If everyone follows the well-defined quarantine protocols none of these "fears" will be realized.

In short, don't come here during the quarantine expecting a tourist vacation.
I actually laughed and rolled my eyes when I read that article.

Anyone can throw around a bunch at the problems any given policy has. What the article fails to provide are any alternatives. - None

It reminded me of various Directors and Managers - and individual contributors coming to me with a laundry list of problems - issues - problems with procedures - the organization - you name it - as if I didn't already know of about the problems. After being coached I already knew ALL of the issues - and after being told you can come to me with any issue as long as you bring ideas to solve the problems - if they did it again, they were moved out of my teams.

Besides not offering a single solution - what the article gets wrong is the 14 day quarantine is mostly PR - a tool to highly discourage visitor travel - and some arrests happen to make the national news as a reminder to not visit. We aren't seeing residents arrested - but I suspect there is risk if you come with suitcases your neighbor - if you don't get along with them, could call the police.

The airplanes are not filled with as the article puts it - the fringes of society living with no cell service and poor GPS service and people of color. The planes are filled by residents - some essential workers - and tourists - for which the program is targeted.

With that said - I'd completely lift any quarantine requirements now for those with Hawaii ID (which should be an incentive for those in the future who live here and don't have a Hawaii ID) and lift it completely July 5.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:40 PM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I actually laughed and rolled my eyes when I read that article.

Besides not offering a single solution - what the article gets wrong is the 14 day quarantine is mostly PR - a tool to highly discourage visitor travel - and some arrests happen to make the national news as a reminder to not visit. We aren't seeing residents arrested - but I suspect there is risk if you come with suitcases your neighbor - if you don't get along with them, could call the police.

With that said - I'd completely lift any quarantine requirements now for those with Hawaii ID (which should be an incentive for those in the future who live here and don't have a Hawaii ID) and lift it completely July 5.

Why July 5th? Should we expect by then some event to occur where we will experience a decrease in transmissions that justify a elimination of quarantine requirements? Effective and reliable pretesting requirements prior to traveling, perhaps?

Old 05-26-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Why July 5th? Should we expect by then some event to occur where we will experience a decrease in transmissions that justify a elimination of quarantine requirements? Effective and reliable pretesting requirements prior to traveling, perhaps?
There will be no fast pre testing by July 5. We can require tests on arrival with results in 24 hours. July 5 makes sense to me as Vegas will have been an entire month by then and skip July 4 activities. Nobody is predicting a bunch of tourists will come anyway. But walking around Waikiki and Ala Moana recently convinces me we need a firm reopen date soon or its going to be truly catastrophic (or more catastrophic than it is) establishing a date brings at least a potential date to try to survive. No point in keeping everyone in limbo.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
There will be no fast pre testing by July 5. We can require tests on arrival with results in 24 hours. July 5 makes sense to me as Vegas will have been an entire month by then and skip July 4 activities. Nobody is predicting a bunch of tourists will come anyway. But walking around Waikiki and Ala Moana recently convinces me we need a firm reopen date soon or its going to be truly catastrophic (or more catastrophic than it is) establishing a date brings at least a potential date to try to survive. No point in keeping everyone in limbo.
Possibly. July 5th might be too soon for all the entities to get on board, however some general thoughts: No distinction between Hawai'i resident or visitor. The virsus doesn't discriminate. Perhaps testing cost becomes a line item on the ticket price. Traveler can submit to insurance for reimbursement, if any, otherwise it's on their dime. Anyone refusing the test goes to fourteen day quarantine with a required payment of fee to state/local authorties to cover the cost of their monitoring. Postively tested persons and the people they interact with go into observation/quarantine.

Mask and physical distancing continue to be required.

This is predicated on a effective, reliable test being available.

Of course, the problem arises that there is no negotiating or dictating terms to a virus. In the event we were to conditionally open and the virus was to rapidly take root, the 'catastrophe' you are concerned occuring in Waikiki and Ala Moana will be nothing compared to what will occur.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Possibly. July 5th might be too soon for all the entities to get on board, however some general thoughts: No distinction between Hawai'i resident or visitor. The virsus doesn't discriminate.
Start with residents now as a pilot program to see how it works - in order to be ready for a higher volume when everyone does not have to quarantine.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Start with residents now as a pilot program to see how it works - in order to be ready for a higher volume when everyone does not have to quarantine.

I like the notion of a pilot program, and having residents participate would be ideal for the
predicted ease of follow up to ensure understanding of its success or lack thereof. Not sure
how quickly it could be crafted and vetted, however it shouldn't take too long.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I like the notion of a pilot program, and having residents participate would be ideal for the
predicted ease of follow up to ensure understanding of its success or lack thereof. Not sure
how quickly it could be crafted and vetted, however it shouldn't take too long.
Well - it should have already been crafted.

Given about 300 residents arriving per day - we certainly have the testing capability for that volume today with a 24 hour turnaround.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Well - it should have already been crafted.

Given about 300 residents arriving per day - we certainly have the testing capability for that volume today with a 24 hour turnaround.

Well -- There are also other requirements outside of testing, which is relatively simple. Unfortunately we absolutely need to have the infrastructure in place that can address the need for robust and active contact tracing. You simply can't go to 'Contact Tracers R' Us' and pull them off the selves. It takes time, experience and money to train and develop that kind of capability. The Hawai'i Dept. of Health's recent challenges with contact tracing has been limited to chasing down Hep 'A' infections. While also a virsus, Covid 19 is an entirely different animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii