Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 06:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
It seemed you were saying there is a lot of expected incompetence "In true Hawaii style". I don't know how you can believe that and at the same time believe we could reliably test 5000/day like a well oiled machine when advocating for opening up to tourism.
Where did I ever say well oiled machine? I said we had the capacity.

Besides, the test within 72 hours of a flight seems fairly stupid to me anyway - since you can get it within the 72 hour period, get it on the plane, or get it while here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
It will grow in number, and 500 cases a day would overwhelm the hospital capacity within a matter of weeks.
Then how does the State survive flu season - with over 500 deaths annually in Hawaii? Are you suggesting during flu season less than 500 catch the flu per day?

We do know, if you get 500 cases of Covid, a good chance 40% of the cases will never show symptoms. Ever.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:38 PM

For the doom and gloom crowd.....

Interisland quarantine back Aug 11

On Oahu - Aug 7 to Sept 5 - all city parks closed, beaches closed, all state parks closed, campgrounds closed, botanical gardens closed, pools closed, tennis courts closed, all team sports suspended - bowling alleys closed, gyms stay open (are you kidding me)

Last edited by whtviper1; 08-06-2020 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-06-2020, 07:09 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Many people from Big Island, Maui & Kauai have been hoping for a shut down of inter island travel lately to help stop spread from Oahu.

It’s easy to say cases are low so let’s open up more. But at the same time, it needs to be acknowledged that cases are only low because of the restrictions. Which means they help. Clearly easing of restrictions is resulting in spiking cases on Oahu. Open up more and your hoping for an explosion in cases like NY, FL, AZ, CA, etc.

Sadly, if people would only stop behaving like it’s mother more than “a case of the sniffles” and stop getting together without any precautions or social distancing, you could keep it under control and that would lead to more opening of the economy. But comparisons to the flu and car accidents only diminishes the seriousness of the virus and leads people to disregard precautions and pushes up cases and prevents opening the economy.

That’s how I’m seeing it. I want things to open up, but downplaying the risk is counterproductive.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
For the doom and gloom crowd.....

Interisland quarantine back Aug 11

On Oahu - Aug 7 to Sept 5 - all city parks closed, beaches closed, all state parks closed, campgrounds closed, botanical gardens closed, pools closed, tennis courts closed, all team sports suspended - bowling alleys closed, gyms stay open (are you kidding me)
Fortunately, restrooms will stay open and ocean activities & golf will still be permitted.

BTW: I heard today that the Ritz Carlton (Kapalua) and Grand Wailea Resorts will not be reopening.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 08-06-2020 at 08:16 PM..

Old 08-06-2020, 09:10 PM

64 posts, read 61,907 times
If only we handled this like Sweden we would be looking at the end of this crisis instead of just the beginning. All the PPP loans and unemployment payments were completely squandered and lives continue to be destroyed. The virus isn't going away. The lockdowns only delay the spike of new cases and deaths. The cure really is far worse than the disease.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 PM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
Quote:
Where did I ever say well oiled machine? I said we had the capacity.

Then how does the State survive flu season - with over 500 deaths annually in Hawaii? Are you suggesting during flu season less than 500 catch the flu per day?

We do know, if you get 500 cases of Covid, a good chance 40% of the cases will never show symptoms. Ever.

Sigh, you are conflating the actions of two different viruses, and in doing so make a false comparative.

We are discussing Covid 19, not the seasonal flu. We do know that the the hospitalization rate in Hawai'i for those who test positive for Covid is approx. 8-9%, however as the infection rate rises, the percentage of hospitalizations usually rises too due to various factors. So figure we get 500 positive cases a day, you
can estimate we'll see 350 hospitalizations a week, i.e. 50 per day.

I told you that a 10% Covid 19 positive infection rate is a wake up call. So apparently does the state and local governments. I expect additional, graduated closures on Oahu and neighbor islands if this isn't quickly brought under control.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside14 View Post
If only we handled this like Sweden we would be looking at the end of this crisis instead of just the beginning. All the PPP loans and unemployment payments were completely squandered and lives continue to be destroyed. The virus isn't going away. The lockdowns only delay the spike of new cases and deaths. The cure really is far worse than the disease.
Go back and read post #728 by Kohala Transplant.

Using the Swedish model we would have expected 790 deaths by now instead of 27.

Since I have no idea if I would be one of the unlucky ones, I'm okay with the efforts that have taken place and hope there will be a vaccine or better treatments as a result of the shutdown.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post

Using the Swedish model we would have expected 790 deaths by now instead of 27.
Oh come on. No reasonable person can make that assertion. Our demographics and ethnicities don’t come close to Sweden. There are various treatments for this virus and every single recent death has had underlying conditions. They are so secretive about these deaths as if when you die you have some expectation of privacy.

The lack of transparency on these underlying conditions makes the data even more suspect.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:37 PM

344 posts, read 251,056 times
Quote:
Oh come on. No reasonable person can make that assertion. Our demographics and ethnicities don’t come close to Sweden. There are various treatments for this virus and every single recent death has had underlying conditions. They are so secretive about these deaths as if when you die you have some expectation of privacy.

The lack of transparency on these underlying conditions makes the data even more suspect.

You were the one that suggested we look at the Swedish data. If it is irrelevant (i don't have a strong position on its relevance), then why did you suggest we look at it? It just seems now you don't like what it implies...

whtviper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1

Lockdowns, at least from my perspective, do not work. Just look at Hawaii - Hawaii took the most stringent action yet having its highest cases - by far.

Looked at the data from Sweden - which instituted no lockdown.

How were they able to completely flatten the curve (with 10 times the population of Oahu) - by doing, nothing?

Old 08-06-2020, 11:28 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Sweden has one of the highest death rates per capta in the world. Sounds like a great model to follow. It’s greater than the US, greater than Brazil, greater than all of its Scandinavian neighbors.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-by-case-count
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii