Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 10:22 PM

344 posts, read 250,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Per the man - with no plan

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ed-beyond-oct/

Hawaii’s mandatory 14-day quarantine for trans-Pacific travelers will likely be extended beyond Oct. 1, the governor said Monday.
The most surprising thing I saw in that article is that visitors will number 2.9M this year. Was that all before the shutdown?

Old 09-14-2020, 11:45 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
The most surprising thing I saw in that article is that visitors will number 2.9M this year. Was that all before the shutdown?
For the most part. We average 10M per year pre covid. So you figure we had 3 months before everything really got locked down. Then it went to 5% of normal travel for the next 6.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:53 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Per the man - with no plan

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ed-beyond-oct/

Hawaii’s mandatory 14-day quarantine for trans-Pacific travelers will likely be extended beyond Oct. 1, the governor said Monday.
Sad thing is that nobody is even surprised or even hopeful that things will open up any time soon. If you tell a hawaii resident that ige extended it another 6 months in one crack, they'd be more surprised that he had the balls to do it all in one crack.

Wonder how his wife even stands being around him. He must be the biggest **** in the entire state.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:59 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
The mere 72 hours/recent/covid test/certificate time window needs to be relaxed a little.

and the last I saw was, without that certificate, the draconian rule preventing even renting a car at the airport. Waaaaay over the top IMO - Get real FFS.... Hertz is carefully sanitizing their vehicles interiors afaict.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:32 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
You would think that Hawaii's leaders would want to do a trial run of allowing some non quarantined travelers into the state before the high demand winter season arrives. With that consideration, it would make sense to start the pre test option this fall.

But Ige says this program is "Not ready to be rolled out". Why the hell not?

Old 09-15-2020, 10:25 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
For the most part. We average 10M per year pre covid. So you figure we had 3 months before everything really got locked down. Then it went to 5% of normal travel for the next 6.
Yeah that makes sense. Folks have to keep in mind that the state got a decent amount of uninterrupted travel before the shutdown. What concerns me with how Hawaii is acting is what the state will do if many people choose not to take the vaccine when available; I saw something like 35% of Americans don't plan to take, which would not be a good thing and I think would give Hawaii leaders--if their current practice is any indication--pause of fully reopening. https://khn.org/morning-breakout/pol...covid-vaccine/

Old 09-15-2020, 10:58 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
The blown opportunity is that the State has had over 6 months to pilot a resident testing plan.

Currently, you've got 800+ people arriving in the State everyday who aren't closely monitored - and many of whom are deemed essential. I know one guy who routinely goes to the mainland and back - he does home renovations so as a construction worker gets an exception to quarantine for work. While a high profile arrest happens every so often.

Even the Lt Gov recently backed off PCR tests only saying the $20 rapid antigen are sufficient - as its better to know who may have than not test at all.

https://beatofhawaii.com/hawaii-trav...ber-reopening/

Hawaii’s Lieutenant Governor and emergency room physician Josh Green said on a Facebook live stream yesterday, “I don’t see any reason not to begin travel (and) getting some hotels open, some restaurant activity going again.” He is unaware of anything preventing travel resuming starting as planned, starting October 1. “There’s no reason we can’t do that… We’re on the precipice of that.”

Hawaii travel soft opening plan: two tracks to avoid quarantine.

Lieutenant Governor Green, who has frequently been at odds with both the governor and Honolulu’s mayor, and is widely believed to be planning a gubernatorial run himself, is proposing two testing tracks to avoid quarantine.

1. 72 hour PCR pre-travel test. First is the long-touted PCR test to be required within 72 hours of travel to Hawaii.

2. Dual antigen tests pre and post-travel. A new alternative to PCR tests that he is proposing, is for antigen testing to detect virus proteins. Those are to be taken on the mainland within 72 hours of travel and again in Hawaii within 72 hours of arrival. Antigen tests provide results within minutes at a low cost of about $20 per test. Green said about the two tracks,

Old 09-15-2020, 01:36 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
The mere 72 hours/recent/covid test/certificate time window needs to be relaxed a little.

and the last I saw was, without that certificate, the draconian rule preventing even renting a car at the airport. Waaaaay over the top IMO - Get real FFS.... Hertz is carefully sanitizing their vehicles interiors afaict.
What do you mean relaxed? I didn't think it had been adopted yet.

I'm not convinced a smattering of tourists would be a problem at all right now IF: They wore masks when flying, getting rent a car, checking into hotel, buying food, etc. and socially distanced when at the beach, golf course, what have you.

Has that been tried anywhere else in the country? Probably Las Vegas.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Has that been tried anywhere else in the country? Probably Las Vegas.
Walt Disney World and Universal Studios in Orlando has been open for awhile now.

Silver Dollar City in Branson is open

Various Six Flags amusement parks open across the country

As well as Vegas.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:10 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,052 times
It is surprising to me that they have not been able to put at least something in place yet with respect to a testing upon arrival or prior to departure type program.

But, at this point, I keep reading that a vaccine may be ready by the end of October and available to the public perhaps as soon as November or December. That's only 2 months away at this point.

I wonder if they've just thrown in the towel and are going to delay and soft peddle around the issue to wait out a vaccine if it really looks like one may become available within a couple months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii