Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 09:28 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times

Advertisements

They were showing arrival numbers this morning on the news - roughly 21,000 arrivals a day during Spring Break versus 31,000+ pre-pandemic or still 30%+ less than before which will not ultimately sustain the tourism industry unless it substantially improves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 12:33 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I learned many years ago when the flashing don't walk signal starts - if you aren't in the intersection you don't cross.

Not much different than Red means stop - Green means go - and Yellow does not mean go very fast.
I learned years ago how to safely cross a street. Most people do. Most people don't learn how to avoid plainclothes police out on a revenue binge. I'm all about pedestrian safety but this is not what this is about. They picked about the narrowest side street off Kalakaua where most tourists wouldn't even think it was more than a driveway or alley. I guess this is in connection with the speeding ticket quotas. No way to welcome our tourists back.

Last edited by GoldKona; 03-29-2021 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
I learned years ago how to safely cross a street. Most people do. Most people don't learn how to avoid plainclothes police out on a revenue binge. I'm all about pedestrian safety but this is not what this is about. They picked about the narrowest side street off Kalakaua where most tourists wouldn't even think it was more than a driveway or alley. I guess this is in connection with the speeding ticket quotas. No way to welcome our tourists back.
I was in Waikiki this weekend - you will be pleased to know plenty of jaywalkers and no lack of people crossing the streets with an outright don't walk signal.

A flashing don't walk is not a suggestion - the law is if you haven't entered the intersection then don't enter it. If tourists (and locals) need a reminder of that via ticket, so be it. Quite frankly, the use of undercover rookie cops isn't really necessary, they'd do it right in front of uniformed officers.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I was in Waikiki this weekend - you will be pleased to know plenty of jaywalkers and no lack of people crossing the streets with an outright don't walk signal.

A flashing don't walk is not a suggestion - the law is if you haven't entered the intersection then don't enter it. If tourists (and locals) need a reminder of that via ticket, so be it. Quite frankly, the use of undercover rookie cops isn't really necessary, they'd do it right in front of uniformed officers.
Exactly, it is just a cash grab. Otherwise there would be regular enforcement. Why else deploy 5-8 cops on one corner. If you can safely cross a street who cares if it was flashing or green?

Old 03-29-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Exactly, it is just a cash grab.
It is my understanding we need the cash

Old 03-29-2021, 09:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Quote:
Most Native Hawaiians don’t work in hospitality.
A good chunk do, and hospitality is a good chunk of economy. A good chunk of the hawaiians outside of hospitality likely cater to many who do work in hospitality.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
A good chunk do, and hospitality is a good chunk of economy. A good chunk of the hawaiians outside of hospitality likely cater to many who do work in hospitality.
Source?

Old 03-30-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It is my understanding we need the cash
Yep, that rail isn't gonna build itself.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Quote:
Source?
here, they break up hospitality into food service, accommodation, arts/recreation, and kinda sorta transportation. More people especially tourists means more transportation related services. Plus how many "native Hawaiians" are also partially asian or white? Go to page 18

https://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/censu...y-industry.pdf

There is also the construction category. That too like transportation is likely related to hospitality in many ways.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Plus how many "native Hawaiians" are also partially asian or white?
It doesn't matter - if you have at least 51% Native Hawaiian blood - you are Native Hawaiian.

It does pay to be Native Hawaiian though - Public Assistance is $132 per Native Hawaiian nearly 4 times higher than non Native Hawaiians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii