Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 09:37 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times

Advertisements

Whatcha gonna do?
Thousands of feral chickens are roaming in Hawaii. A new bill proposes a unique solution to stop them.
https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...n-16938390.php

To curb Honolulu’s booming feral chicken population, lawmakers are proposing a bill that would eradicate them by deploying a special contraceptive bird feed,

Ok, so as I read this … I’m wondering: if there is a “contraceptive bird feed” … is there a contraceptive cat food?

Things that make me go “hmmm” …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 09:46 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,243 times
Oh please. Free dinner walking around? I'm eating my way out of this "crisis".

Old 02-23-2022, 04:55 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Oh please. Free dinner walking around? I'm eating my way out of this "crisis".
If they tasted good they’d be gone already.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Depends on how hungry you are …
But yeah …

Old 02-23-2022, 07:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
I thought the chickens brought over to eat the bugs that were brought over. And the Cats brought to eat the chickens. But then again, the humans can just eat the chickens.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:01 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post

Probably right about that. But, then again, those things are incredibly difficult to catch, so I'm not sure many would even get the opportunity!

Old 02-23-2022, 09:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Probably right about that. But, then again, those things are incredibly difficult to catch, so I'm not sure many would even get the opportunity!
Those chickens taste so bad even the feral cats won't eat them.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:14 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

You people trying to catch chickens with YOUR HANDS?

https://youtu.be/GvocmM3wzM0?t=79

Old 02-24-2022, 12:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Enough seven rooster soup should solve the problem. If you can catch them, that is. And for those inquiring minds, yes, roosters taste just like chicken.

Kauai doesn't have mongoose so there's not much that eats the chicken eggs and chicks. There's feral chickens on Hawaii Island, but not to the same levels, not sure why. Maybe between the mongoose and the pigs, there's enough things eating the eggs and chicks?

When cooking feral chickens, if the breastbone is solid all the way to the end, that's a stewing chicken. Stew it for chicken broth or put it in a slow cooker or pressure cooker. If there's a pliable end to the breastbone, then you've got a roasting chicken. If half the breast bone is pliable, then it's a fryer. Your typical grocery store chicken is a very young chicken and only half the breastbone will be solid. Unless it's an old retired laying hen, then you've got your stewing hen. Great for flavor, really tough meat. The fryers are great for meat, not a whole lot of flavor. Which means, for perfect chicken soup, you need an old one for flavor and a young one for meat.

Another thing you can do with feral chickens is skin them instead of plucking them. Then flatten the skin out and let it dry and then you have a flat feathered 'art' chicken for the wall.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Enough seven rooster soup should solve the problem. If you can catch them, that is. And for those inquiring minds, yes, roosters taste just like chicken.

Kauai doesn't have mongoose so there's not much that eats the chicken eggs and chicks. There's feral chickens on Hawaii Island, but not to the same levels, not sure why. Maybe between the mongoose and the pigs, there's enough things eating the eggs and chicks?

When cooking feral chickens, if the breastbone is solid all the way to the end, that's a stewing chicken. Stew it for chicken broth or put it in a slow cooker or pressure cooker. If there's a pliable end to the breastbone, then you've got a roasting chicken. If half the breast bone is pliable, then it's a fryer. Your typical grocery store chicken is a very young chicken and only half the breastbone will be solid. Unless it's an old retired laying hen, then you've got your stewing hen. Great for flavor, really tough meat. The fryers are great for meat, not a whole lot of flavor. Which means, for perfect chicken soup, you need an old one for flavor and a young one for meat.

Another thing you can do with feral chickens is skin them instead of plucking them. Then flatten the skin out and let it dry and then you have a flat feathered 'art' chicken for the wall.
Finally a useful contribution!
But back to my original question: ‘if there’s chickenfeed that kills fertility’ … is there cat food that can do the same for the cats?

Heck, chickens like cat food too … maybe magic cat food is a potential ‘one-stop solution’ …
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii