Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 11:22 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler105 View Post
For the record, concerned why he was detained and not charged. And who cares what we think in terms of innocence? We have a police and judicial system for that. We can only elect some of them and have opinions on how corrupt they are.

I am personally trying to understand how corrupt the local gov. If no one is charged and no explanation is given to the public I would conclude that the local gov is corrupt as hell.

For the guy who asks everyone in this thread to not speculate, you speculated the most so far but have no insider knowledge like the rest of us. And you keep arguing with yourself, argument is not about innocent vs guilty. It's about why detained and not charged when video shows aggressive assault. Let's see what prosecutors say next. They changed story from "nothing to see here, folks" to "we will need more time to decide if we want to charge".
I haven’t speculated even one iota.

Haven’t defended police, prosecutor, alleged attacker, nor victim.
I have defended the principles of: not jumping to conclusions ahead of investigative results and ‘innocent until proven guilty.’ And that goes for accusations of corruption and poor police work too. Any of those suspicions might turn out to be the case … or not.

Social media is a veritable petri dish for growing conspiracy theories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
At a bare minimum - the prosecuting office owes an explanation. They do after all work for the public.
Absolutely agree.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
It's Hawai'i, chances are the assailant is of some relation to someone in LE or civil service and they're just looking the other way.
Maybe so. Maybe not. Stay tuned.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:13 PM

10,554 posts, read 7,750,499 times
I guess the question would be if this video is sufficient evidence to positively ID and then convict the assailant.

It certainly gives credence to an older post about how terrible drivers in Hawaii are. Both men were foolish to stop, argue and get out of their vehicles.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:20 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
I'm wondering why the assailant wasn't charged with anything. He got out of his car, went up to the other motorist and struck him first. If this isn't assault I don't know what is. People have to learn not to get out of their cars when there's a possible confrontation. Especially when you're elderly like this. You can't defend yourself very well. As someone who's been in more than my fair share of confrontations on the roads including a couple where police were called on me, when I was younger and hotheaded, I can tell you it's just not worth it.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:49 AM

10,554 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Any updates? Perhaps the old man chose not to press charges, for some reason.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Any updates? Perhaps the old man chose not to press charges, for some reason.
No updates since last Sunday.

The old man does not have to press charges for the assailant to be charged and tried in court.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:57 AM

789 posts, read 368,857 times
Quote:
Why HPD and prosecutors decided not to charge 28 yo Daniel Reid Aikau? Any insider info? Is this level of corruption normal for Hawaii? What about Aloha and respect of elders?
Quote:
Is the young guy part of some connected family?

from: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/0...ial-treatment/

Quote:
Togiai’s family worries that Aikau is getting special treatment because a member of prominent surfing family. Clyde Aikau is his father and deceased big-wave surfer Eddie Aikau is his uncle.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:59 AM

88 posts, read 96,287 times
> Aikau’s attorney, Eric Seitz, said the fight occurred after his client accidentally cut off Togiai on the road.

> “It should not have happened and he’s very sorry. And we certainly want to meet with the family and do what’s necessary to make amends,” said Seitz.

> But the victim’s family said that if prosecutors don’t file charges, they plan to file a civil lawsuit against Aikau.

Let's hope they follow through with a civil lawsuit and the feds look into prosecutors as well. It's been almost a week, I don't think prosecutors will file charges.

Nasty precedent is being set up here, no charges filed for the guy who struck elderly unarmed guy ~8 times. Elderly guy did not even fight back. If the Aikau guy acted in self-defense as his lawyer Seitz claims, let him prove it in the courtroom?

If the Aikau guy had done this rage beating on the mainland, chances are, he would have been promptly put down by most drivers, many with concealed or open carry. But he knows damn well that he has a free pass in HI.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:52 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:

Nasty precedent is being set up here, no charges filed for the guy who struck elderly unarmed guy ~8 times. Elderly guy did not even fight back.
Probably happens all the time - the only thing different about this incident is that it happened to be caught on camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii