Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 09:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Have you checked the cost of AirBnB these days? After adding on their fees and cleaning fees and other stuff, the nightly rates can double from the quoted rate. I guess sleeping on someone’s couch may be cheap enough, but we ended up paying nearly $800 for two nights that started at $200 a night.
I did, and found some private rooms less than $119/night with all in fees. It isn't for me - nor are hostels or camping - but it can be done.

The volume of camper/RV listings did surprise me - quite a few of those.

Alternatively - for literally a little bit more than the camper rate, Kamaaina rates at the Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki with all in taxes and fees with a room category upgrade are also reasonable, a spot check of the weekend of Oct 14-16 yields an all in rate with taxes and fees of $271 for 2 nights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 02:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
I'm seeing a lot of younger folks writing about their various experiences and there's usually a common theme of confusion about how to deal with the real world. In her case, the van is too big to drive easily. Well, duh! That's just what is and expecting anything else is just wishful expectations. Maybe she came from a very sheltered environment where everything always worked?

There also generally seems to be an expectation of things being easy and upset when they're not. Such as when the back up camera goes out on the RV. She did figure out to get help for backing up since perhaps it didn't have mirrors? Generally, when driving something large like that, one plans things out to minimize backing up. She did seem to finally realize that it needed different parking situations than for a regular car. Well, she seems like she can learn, that's a good thing.

At least she was bright enough to not try to take it into downtown Honolulu.

Her article also had the flavor of someone looking for content.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:24 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,257,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.insider.com/what-its-lik...-worth-it-2022

This was a new one for me. Another example of a fool who should have known better, IMO. Turns out she didn't even save any money after everything else was considered and would have been better off getting a "cheap" vacation rental or hotel.

Some of the takeaways from the article:
  • Renting a van includes the risk of last-minute changes.
  • Finding legal places to park overnight was a challenge.
  • There was no user manual with the van, so I had to inquire about a lot of things.
  • With a rental, you're on your own for any cleanliness issues.
  • Maintenance issues can be high stakes when your mode of transportation is also your temporary home.
  • Maneuvering the van was nerve-racking.
  • Parking such a big rig was challenging, especially when technology failed me.
  • In some cases I adjusted my travel plans to suit the camper van and my safety concerns.
  • On my first night, I arrived at the campground late and got locked out.
She learned a good lesson on camping. Now she knows how it works. She should have sought out someone, on line, with camping experience, RV Forums, to guide on how a camper Van works and drives, takes up space, then one is used to with a car. Looks like where she rented the Van should have been a red flag when the van was not ready. I sought out RV People when I have camped. It helped me when i was not sure of a issue on backing up, and to practice before hand in a big parking lot, before you got to the camp sight. A lot of info out there.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:15 PM

15,494 posts, read 7,529,453 times
That whole story was pretty whiny. She was worried the van was too wide to drive on a road? How does she think things get delivered to stores and such?

Old 09-14-2022, 05:23 PM

30,662 posts, read 18,276,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That whole story was pretty whiny. She was worried the van was too wide to drive on a road? How does she think things get delivered to stores and such?
Yeah, just not very well thought out by this woman.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:14 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
After reading the article I am not one bit surprised.

Old 09-15-2022, 05:56 AM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
Back in the 60's, you could stay in a little grass shack on Kauai, for very little $...

Old 09-15-2022, 09:42 AM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Back in the 60's, you could stay in a little grass shack on Kauai, for very little $...
Kealakekua.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:34 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times
Finding affordable lodging requires a strategy. It's always a good idea right before the cancellation date to check to see if there is anywhere else (or even the place you've reserved) have dropped their rate for close dates to try and fill rooms. If it's at the same place you've booked, sometimes you can switch to the lower rate online, sometimes you have to call the hotel. If you just show up tell them the rate dropped they will have some excuse why they can't do it.

Another strategy is to call them and explain you're there for work and won't be using any of the resort amenities and ask if the resort fees can be waived. They are less willing to do this if the date is far in the future and they think they can fill the room, but if the date is soon and they have vacancies they are more amicable to doing it. Hotels use "dynamic pricing" that adjusts prices up and down depending on availability to maximize profits, and that translates into what they are willing to do with resort fees etc. If they won't remove the resort fees even after explaining you won't be using any of the amenities, you can ask if they will substitute something you would actually use like a free breakfast (or whatever). It also helps to try to email them. I've had the person answering the phone tell me NO but then I email the hotel which usually goes to a manager and they give a different answer. It also sometimes works the other away around.

There's a lot of other strategies if one is creative, but I don't consider them ethical and would never do them myself.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:05 PM

406 posts, read 866,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm seeing a lot of younger folks writing about their various experiences and there's usually a common theme of confusion about how to deal with the real world. In her case, the van is too big to drive easily. Well, duh! That's just what is and expecting anything else is just wishful expectations. Maybe she came from a very sheltered environment where everything always worked?

There also generally seems to be an expectation of things being easy and upset when they're not. Such as when the back up camera goes out on the RV. She did figure out to get help for backing up since perhaps it didn't have mirrors? Generally, when driving something large like that, one plans things out to minimize backing up. She did seem to finally realize that it needed different parking situations than for a regular car. Well, she seems like she can learn, that's a good thing.

At least she was bright enough to not try to take it into downtown Honolulu.

Her article also had the flavor of someone looking for content.

Back in the mid to late 1960s I had a "camper", really a motorhome like this:

It was a 1948 Flxible converted to a motorhome. (Mine was blue instead of the yellow/red combination.)

She should have tried to drive that! No backup cameras at that time, just the big old mirrors. It could be fun trying to back it up. It was fun to travel in to see the country.

Mickey
Attached Thumbnails
I stayed in a camper van in Hawaii for 9 a night, and it was a trip from hell in paradise filled with hidden costs...-flx-2-1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: