Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 10:02 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I was mostly surprised that after being born and raised in Honolulu, she didn't have friends or family to stay with.
Her friends & family were probably on one or more of the outlying islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 10:08 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm seeing a lot of younger folks writing about their various experiences and there's usually a common theme of confusion about how to deal with the real world. In her case, the van is too big to drive easily. Well, duh! That's just what is and expecting anything else is just wishful expectations. Maybe she came from a very sheltered environment where everything always worked?
She never showed a photo of the van, so we don't have a clear idea of what she was dealing with. I was wondering if she booked the thing sight unseen, and may have thought she was getting an ordinary van, like a small delivery van or a minivan. Why would she need more than that, for a stay of a few days? It seemed like she got more than she bargained for. If, in fact, she knew it was a larger vehicle, that's on her. She could have rented a regular van from a car rental agency.

Not to mention, that the vehicle hadn't been cleaned and re-equipped for her stay, unlike Air B&B's that are permanent structures. Air B&B has strict requirements about that, with lots of hoops for the hosts to jump through, for more conventional rentals a friend told me, who rented out her cabin on Air B&B for a summer. And in order to get good reviews on Air B&B from customers, there's a lot of pressure to provide extras.

The owners who put their van up on Air B&B sound like slackers; not only did they not bother to provide clean towels, they left the job of getting their vehicle repaired and fully-functional to the very last minute. It sounds like they decided to try renting out a spare vehicle they hadn't used themselves possibly for years, for extra income. "Hey! Let's rent out our semi-derelict trash-strewn abandoned van for an extra hundred bucks/day!" Yeah, that'll work...

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-16-2022 at 10:18 AM..

Old 09-16-2022, 10:40 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She never showed a photo of the van, so we don't have a clear idea of what she was dealing with. I was wondering if she booked the thing sight unseen, and may have thought she was getting an ordinary van, like a small delivery van or a minivan. Why would she need more than that, for a stay of a few days? It seemed like she got more than she bargained for. If, in fact, she knew it was a larger vehicle, that's on her. She could have rented a regular van from a car rental agency.

Not to mention, that the vehicle hadn't been cleaned and re-equipped for her stay, unlike Air B&B's that are permanent structures. Air B&B has strict requirements about that, with lots of hoops for the hosts to jump through, for more conventional rentals a friend told me, who rented out her cabin on Air B&B for a summer. And in order to get good reviews on Air B&B from customers, there's a lot of pressure to provide extras.

The owners who put their van up on Air B&B sound like slackers; not only did they not bother to provide clean towels, they left the job of getting their vehicle repaired and fully-functional to the very last minute. It sounds like they decided to try renting out a spare vehicle they hadn't used themselves possibly for years, for extra income. "Hey! Let's rent out our semi-derelict trash-strewn abandoned van for an extra hundred bucks/day!" Yeah, that'll work...
It looked like a full size Chevy van. It wasn't a minivan.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:15 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

There's a lot of truth in what you wrote. I have an Air BnB rental here in Hawaii and manage a few more. One of the big problems with the str market as a whole is that a lot of folks saw it as an avenue to easy money and really have no buisness being in the hospitality industry.
We have the highest rated listing in our area and are often booked solid 6-8 months out. Some of our friends and acquaintances saw our success and have gotten (or plan to) get into the market. In talking with them it is apparent they have no clue how much work goes into the process and they simply think it's a matter of opening up, sitting back and cashing checks.
Hopefully a lot of these types of hosts get washed out as the industry reorients.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:51 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Back in the mid to late 1960s I had a "camper", really a motorhome like this:

It was a 1948 Flxible converted to a motorhome. (Mine was blue instead of the yellow/red combination.)

She should have tried to drive that! No backup cameras at that time, just the big old mirrors. It could be fun trying to back it up. It was fun to travel in to see the country.

Mickey
Nice I Like it. How long did you have the Motor Home?

Old 09-20-2022, 08:55 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
[quote=prospectheightsresident;64130081]

Some of the takeaways from the article:
[list]
[*]"Finding legal places to park overnight was a challenge."

This would be my primary concern.

She mentioned "overwhelmingly positive reviews". Hah! Hard to imagine. She should have posted a link to them.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:00 AM

406 posts, read 865,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Nice I Like it. How long did you have the Motor Home?

I had it about 10 years. If you are looking for one, check https://sellabus.com/ . Several are for sale there, along with many other brands.

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: