Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
My sister-in-law is a school principal in Minneapolis, MN. Her school last school year was a special ed school for the incorrigibles that had been moved from other schools for whatever reasons. She had to put up with fights, weapons, dis-interested parents - if she could ever get to meet with them, etc. etc. etc. She had to fire incompetent teachers that could not or would not teach. Drugs, alcohol and fighting are more common than most people know in most mainland schools, primarily because they are not involved in their schools.

Our local school system (Worthington Ohio) is one of the best in the area and we still have problems with drugs and alcohol, weapons, sexual activity (even on school property) etc. etc. etc. It takes more involvment from parents than they want to give.

Also, good old children's services and ACLU have put a stop to almost any disciplinary action towards children's bad behaviour. Almost any child will say "Don't touch me - I'll call children's services!". The correct answer should be "Go ahead and call - maybe they can take care of you!". The only problem with that is if you have any income at all, Children's Services will want you to pay child support to them. Ask me how I know!

Have you checked into home schooling your kids? Lots of people who are disappointed in their school systme have turned to home schooling.

Mickey
yeah but do they tell the kids to clean the class rooms and take out garbage? I'd like to be there when the teacher asks the student to do that and when the student responds back.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-22-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: language-inappropiate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:37 AM

406 posts, read 865,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
yeah but do they tell the kids to clean the class rooms and take out garbage? I'd like to be there when the teacher asks the student to do that and when the student responds back.
C'mon now. Let's use a little common sense here. Normally the janitorial staff takes care of cleaning and emptying trash, but sometimes during class time it's necessary to do some cleaning and emptying. If there is no or minimal janitorial staff, then that may be a good place to volunteer your efforts - it may help the school system.

In my day if we had said anything bad to a teacher, we would have been paddled and/or expelled. Nowadays because of ACLU and Children's Services and do-gooders that pushed them, you can't even say a harsh word to kids. They will throw you in jail for even thinking about paddleing your own kids.

If you want to talk cleaning and janitorial staff in schools, I have a friend who just retired a couple of years ago from a janitorial position in the school system. He was very dedicated to making sure the classrooms were in tip-top shape and the staff had everything ready for class the next day.

He had also worked janitorial at a local college and he said the girls were the worst to clean up after in the restrooms and dorm rooms.

Mickey

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-22-2008 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: language

Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
C'mon now. Let's use a little common sense here. Normally the janitorial staff takes care of cleaning and emptying trash, but sometimes during class time it's necessary to do some cleaning and emptying. If there is no or minimal janitorial staff, then that may be a good place to volunteer your efforts - it may help the school system.

In my day if we had said anything bad to a teacher, we would have been paddled and/or expelled. Nowadays because of ACLU and Children's Services and do-gooders that pushed them, you can't even say a harsh word to kids. They will throw you in jail for even thinking about paddleing your own kids.

If you want to talk cleaning and janitorial staff in schools, I have a friend who just retired a couple of years ago from a janitorial position in the school system. He was very dedicated to making sure the classrooms were in tip-top shape and the staff had everything ready for class the next day.

He had also worked janitorial at a local college and he said the girls were the worst to clean up after in the restrooms and dorm rooms.

Mickey
well obviously, but from what Maui 08 is saying, I don't even think that they get their classrooms cleaned daily, let alone weekly or if they even have a "janitorial" staff.

Maui08, have you thought about moving to Oahu by chance at all?

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-22-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM

210 posts, read 971,973 times
Maui08-thank you for your insight on maui school.
we are moving to Maui for my husband's job, from new york, and planning to start a family, it is good to know these facts.
I would appreciate if you could share more about your life in Maui. You seem like a person with good common sence.
thank you very much!

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-22-2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: For safety reasons, please do not give out your e mail addy. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
Maui08-thank you for your insight on maui school.
we are moving to Maui for my husband's job, from new york, and planning to start a family, it is good to know these facts.
I would appreciate if you could share more about your life in Maui. You seem like a person with good common sence.
thank you very much!
-No problem. We fell in love with Hawaii years ago...before our kids were of school age. We have lived in Oahu for years as well as Maui. We went back and forth from San Diego to Hawaii 3 different times! Twice for work and this last time because we missed Maui. We are not rich but simply sold almost everything we had on those different occasions and made it happen with what we had. This time here, things were much different. We had our kids in public school for a very short time as we arrived towards the end of school and were horrified to find out that most of their teachers never showed up for work, had them cleaning the classrooms to earn higher grades, police were at the school at least once per week.....list goes on and on.

-Honestly, if we had it to do over we would not have left San Diego again. We are currently looking for ways to leave ASAP. Maui and Hawaii in general are great places to live and visit for those who don't want the best for their kids educationally. We just are not willing to trade our children's future for some fun years in the sun! The habits they form now will stay with them forever. -Hope this helps

Aloha

Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
-No problem. We fell in love with Hawaii years ago...before our kids were of school age. We have lived in Oahu for years as well as Maui. We went back and forth from San Diego to Hawaii 3 different times! Twice for work and this last time because we missed Maui. We are not rich but simply sold almost everything we had on those different occasions and made it happen with what we had. This time here, things were much different. We had our kids in public school for a very short time as we arrived towards the end of school and were horrified to find out that most of their teachers never showed up for work, had them cleaning the classrooms to earn higher grades, police were at the school at least once per week.....list goes on and on.

-Honestly, if we had it to do over we would not have left San Diego again. We are currently looking for ways to leave ASAP. Maui and Hawaii in general are great places to live and visit for those who don't want the best for their kids educationally. We just are not willing to trade our children's future for some fun years in the sun! The habits they form now will stay with them forever. -Hope this helps

Aloha
Maui, were the schools just as bad in Oahu/Honolulu? I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
Maui, were the schools just as bad in Oahu/Honolulu? I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.
Public pretty close. Oahu had many more private schools to choose from and more affordable. If I remember correctly, the public schools were pretty bad on Oahu as well but our kids were very little then so we did not pay as close attention as we do now.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:30 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,935 times
Maui08, you might reconsider California as a choice if you are concerned about your kids' education. NY (outside of NYC) actually has one of the best school systems in the country, I hear. I have also heard that the northeast in general has much better schools (academically speaking) than many other parts of the country. From what I have heard from my sister, who has kids coming into her classes from many different places (HI public, CA, other states), many coming from CA do not place very highly for their age group in math, reading, etc. (The same is true of many coming from HI public schools.)

Food for thought.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
Where are the normal people who look beyond today's sunny skies and wonder how their kids will turn out going through the Hawaii schools?
I spent ten years in Hawaii while my three children were growing up. One graduated from the University of Guam and lives with his wife on Kauai. One chose not to go to college and lives with her husband in Virginia where they run their own business (custom cabinetry). They have two children and three grandchildren. One graduated from San Diego State, and lives in Silicon Valley working as a QA software engineer for Ebay. They have two children.

I think they turned out just fine. I lived all over the US while they were growing up, and Hawaii schools were below the average, but my three worked at it. School is what the students (and parents) make of it.

Hank

Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
I spent ten years in Hawaii while my three children were growing up. One graduated from the University of Guam and lives with his wife on Kauai. One chose not to go to college and lives with her husband in Virginia where they run their own business (custom cabinetry). They have two children and three grandchildren. One graduated from San Diego State, and lives in Silicon Valley working as a QA software engineer for Ebay. They have two children.

I think they turned out just fine. I lived all over the US while they were growing up, and Hawaii schools were below the average, but my three worked at it. School is what the students (and parents) make of it.

Hank
them's a good words, Hank!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii