Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times

Advertisements

honolulu hands down (assuming you skate) miles of glass smooth concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JULANI View Post
I am not a resident ... not just yet ! But I know Puna , Big Island of Hawaii is the best !
I won't mention what the Puna District of the Big Island is the best for; however, for many, it involves "greenery" and "hiding."

Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,429 times
Totally opinionated response, so many will disagree, but IMO:
Hawaii (Big Island) best for: snorkeling, diving, exploring rural, open spaces (including a 14k mtn) Not good for: Sandy beaches, luxury seaside resorts
Oahu best for: Shopping, museums, history, and big (but crowded) resorts and sandy beaches. Not good for: getting away from city life and traffic
Kauai best for: Lush, tropical paradise, rivers, waterfalls and awesome natural beauty. Great beaches. Not good for: Having a lot of roads and space to explore by car, shopping, amenities.
Maui: I haven't been there, but many people who have been there say it has the best combination of beaches, natural beauty and stuff to do. But, in my opinion, its the main spot for the spring-breaker party crowd so avoifd the island if you want to avoid that scene.
Molokai: Don't know
Lanai: Don't know

Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,434 times
Not the best question to ask but I would have to say Kauai is hands down the best for its natural beauty and wide range of outdoor activities. We have one of the best beaches in the state (Polihale), the prettiest scenery (Na Pali/Kokee) and of the rainiest spots on earth which affords us more pretty scenery. We have Salt Pond and the taro fields of Hanalei. Also, outside of Ni'ihau we have the highest population of native Hawaiians. Kauai has so much to see and explore....

However, if I had the chance to visit Ni'ihau, I might have to go with that over Kauai.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Junk cars ... I guess one is ok! But is yours in your yard?? As in-- it looks like it was planted there a few years ago?
No, you can't see that one anymore, the guinea grass ate it. I have a husband who does things like drive 4WD jeeps up into the backyard that sound like a dryer full of nuts and bolts and then declare "it's a good truck, it just needs a new engine!". Ha! It sat there for five years -I used it as a garden toolshed- before he finally figured he wasn't gonna find a new engine for it and gave it to someone else to park in their backyard. Funny thing was, when he parked it there our neighbors asked us if we were going to get a new dog since they saw it as a new dog house.

Cars don't last real long parked in yards, they melt. Did you watch that one in Hilo by the gas station in the middle of Hilo town? Within twenty years it was completely gone. Just kinda melted into the ground and that was one of those round fendered forties type of cars when they made them out of much heavier steel. I'm sure a new car would melt in half that amount of time.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 PM

12 posts, read 50,990 times
Default Just visited Maui

I fell in love with Maui it is really laid back and not a lot of people. We stayed in Kihei and went to Lahaina, Kahului, Hana, and Haiku. Man it is beautiful there. THere is lots to do and the job market is fair (if you wanna work) I am relocating there this December from Washington state. Lets chat

Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I have a husband....
Oh, yeah...gotta make exceptions for that too...!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
You know, dat is sometin dat rarely gets mentioned ova hea, not only do we get da rampant cannibalism, which everyone juss like ignore, but now, we get da car devouring guinea grass!!!!! Hey, my cah was in da backyahd only tree years ago, whea it stay now?????? Da guinea grass wen eat em!!!!!! An, whea you stay askin is da guinea grass da mos wors??????? Molokai!!!!!! dey get choke already!!!!!! Of course, dere is grass growin in Puna on da Bigger Island, but it gets cut down on a regular basis, so, IT'S NOT GOIN EAT YOUR CAR!!!!! Dose Punatics know how for care fo da backyahd, gaurens!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna, still workin on da book

Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 PM

82 posts, read 460,230 times
Saw this old thread - wondered if any of you had any more you wanted to add to it about your favorite island ? Town ?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,456 times
I'm partial to the Big Island but can easily show love for the other islands Lots to love.

Besides being home in a way, the Big Island is just so incredibly diverse in landscape. The drive around the island is amazing. I lived on Hilo side and going to Kona for beach or just a day trip is easy to do.

To be get poetic about Hilo-

Hilo
A group of emeralds
set in the crevice
of black rock,
wet with rain,
soft with moss.

Hilo's not even my favorite town neccessarily, but am perhaps most familiar with it. Being a lover of the urban life, there are things to miss when you're there, but I actually never get rock fever when I'm back there. And when the time is right, Big Island Country- coming home to you

Big Island things to love (and try if you visit)
Tsunami Sushi (downtown Hilo)
Richardsons beach on a warm day
those malasadas in Honoka'a
a stroll thru main street in quirky Pahoa town
Cafe Pesto (downtown Hilo)
Hilo Farmers Market
Volcano National Park AND the tours/viewing areas to the lava that are sometimes enter outside of the park
Volcano Village- quiet but absolutely worth a drive through. There's a lodge type restaurant there too that has a menu reminiscent of mountain lodge's offerings.
Kens House of Pancakes.

I'll stop. Makes one hungry if you've had a taste....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii