Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,278 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
I'm 20 years old and currently go to school in New York, I'm in my junior year of college and I want to leave this life behind and start over in Hawaii. I've worked several jobs over the past few summers and have saved about $12,000 and right now, I'm considering dropping out of school and moving to Hawaii. I don't care about money, I don't want to stay here on the main island and work a 9-5 job in a place like New York, or anywhere on the mainland. I went to Hawaii in high school and I have to say, the surf out there was great and the people there were filled with the spirit.

Apparently I look Hawaiian, so when I was out there they saw me as a local, which was a big plus because I noticed the attitude towards mainlands is that all they do is take and never give back. I also learned the hard way that in Hawaii they measure waves from the back and not the front; but it did lead to an epic session with the friends I made over there, everyone said the same thing to me; that I don't belong on the mainland and that I should come and stay in Hawaii.

How is the job economy in Hawaii? I'd have to support myself because I would be leaving everything behind, including my family and everyone I know here. I just can't take being here anymore, everyone is always in a rush, its apparent everywhere, even when I drive, people here feel that it is necessary to go 100mph and weave through traffic to get to a grocery store. In Hawaii everyone I met was just laid back and had better ethics and moral values, or at least they related more to me than anyone ever has here on the mainland.

Can a 20 year old live in Hawaii and support himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 09:03 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
if you can, suffer through until you are done with school. keep saving your money. add it to your savings so when you do move here you have time to get settled and a better education with which to maybe find a better job. the economy and job market suck, so the more money you have to start with the better you will be. yes a 20year old can get a job. what you consider a "living" will depend on your lifestyle. a young man that looks local should be able to spend as much time here as you want to. have your adventure while you are young. I agree working a nine to five in a busy city doesn't sound like something I would look forward to either.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,814 times
A vacation and actually living there are 2 totally different things.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:55 AM

19 posts, read 115,330 times
I spent 6-8k moving out here, so keep that in mind...

Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 PM

60 posts, read 394,106 times
i spent 2,589 to move here. i was also 20 at the time. almost 2 years have passed by and im doin GREAT. constuction is booming out here.. i sugest that as a trade... i start at 7... have plenty of time to surf publics befor i head out to the job site... great watchin the sun come up

=)

u can do it man. just stay focused.. positive.. and most importantly.. fallow ur heart. i shippy my life out here.. car.. clothes.. tools... everything i own worth a dam. failure waas not an option feel me?

have that mentality... and ull make it

i did

Old 10-10-2008, 05:07 AM

19 posts, read 115,330 times
I consider my new rent to be part of the moving cost... The cheapest rent is around $1,000 for a closet studio. So that alone is $2k for rent + deposit. Plan on driving? Shipping a car is $1k, unless you buy a beater car here. Airfare should be around $4-600. You'll need furniture even if you've got modest needs, it'll still be at least $500 to get dishes, a bed, and basic household stuff. Food, gas, utilities, should set you back $500-600 for your first month at least. And this is if you have a job waiting for you on day 1. No job? Your money will go faster than you can imagine out here.

I started my job the first week here and I went through 8k in 2 months. Im not saying dont move out here, just have a plan, and theres no way you will make it for just $2500 unless you're in hobo mode.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 AM

100 posts, read 335,317 times
You have 12k saved, correct? That should be plenty to get you out there and started, especially for a single guy with no added responsibility. If there's a will there's a way. As far as housing/job goes, from what I see you have 2 options.
1. instead of dropping out of school, transfer to UH. This way you can into the dorms if you want, at least to start, you are still working on your education (something that can only help you in the long run job wise) and you still have time to enjoy HI/surf after classes and on the weekends. or...

2. look in the local newspapers online or craigslist for housing and/or job and at least have the housing before you go. My daughter and I are moving to the big island soon and we found a 3br/2ba fully furnished/all utilities included for $1050. (but I also have a steady monthly income that I"m bringing with me) However, this is in Hilo, and its not best known for its surfing (not much in the way of beaches, rains a lot). But I'm sure, being a single guy and not needing a lot in the way of housing, you could find an "ohana" rental, a room for rent or a fairly cheap apartment for under 800 a month wherever it is you want to go if you really search.
The job market is not great in HI, and the level of it really depends on where you go. It might be difficult to find a job before you go there, so I would make sure that you have a plan one way or the other. Employers are very hesitant to hire mainlanders due to the high number of them that turn right back around and go back home. You may find you have to actually be there in order to find something. And without having your education, your choices are going to be limited. That's not to say you won't make it, but it might be more difficult.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck and most of all - go with a good attitude, and be prepared/open for change - there will be a lot of it!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 10,103 times
Hey dude, I live in New Jersey just outside NYC and am moving to HI in January to goto University of Hawaii @ Manoa. I'm using student loans and a prayer to get ot HI since it's a bit pricy and with the economic crash things are even more wonky. I'm pretty dead set on getting outta the tri-state mess a.s.a.p myself, even if I have to join a traveling circus, (though I'd like to get my degree first)
Anyways, let me know if there's any other resources I can help with, I'll do my best.
I have alot of University of Hawaii stuff that I don't need since I'm now registered with them (like course catalogues, descriptions, etc.) which I'll happily mail to you or give to you if you want.

Please use the DM feature to contact other members. Thanks.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-15-2008 at 04:17 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 11:27 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Aloha GrahmWaters,

With a helpful spirit like you have you will thrive in Hawaii. The more you give, the more you get!

Actually, thinking about it being a student in Hawaii is a nice category to be in. You aren't a tourist yet not quite a resident and you will have a huge social group of similar folks to hang out with initially.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Transferring sounds like a good way to rack up student loan debt.

Finish college. Then move, move, move! Your degree may make you more marketable in the long run.

You're right, though. If you want to escape "the rat race," there's no better place. And do it while you're young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: