Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times

Advertisements

What is UP with so many trust fund kids on the islands (at least Kaua'i)?

I cannot believe how many grown folks-young adults, live out on Kaua'i, living in the lap of luxury, not working, just taking it easy as if they were in early early retirement, and when I ask my sister, how is she/he doing it, she replies "Oh he/she is one of them trust fund kids too". Most of them are from California.

My sister is on welfare-HUD housing, food stamps, SSDI etc. I dont know how year after year she can live amongst these people, and then the tourists who come here flaunting their money having fun, and then the mainlanders coming in with tons of money to buy up more homes etc. She is surrounded by filthy rich people.

I am so glad that I live in a trailer park full of low income folks. As a Registered Nurse of 17 years, making a decent income, being able to afford a nice pickup truck that drives, I am "rich" in comparism. I couldnt imagine being in her shoes. It would either drive me nuts or sadden me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,886 times
These are the people who provide the MONEY that, ultimately, feeds and clothes all of the rest of us on Kaua'i. While I'm envious, sure (and probably will be considered one of the "rich folks" in a couple of years, at least I hope so, though I will at least have to work for it), the fact is that we need people with lots of money to come here and buy what we are selling - whether that's groceries, houses, activities, natural healing, IT services, whatever. If the money that is here just keeps circulating around, and the population keeps growing (even if no one comes, if we keep having babies and living longer it will grow), we will all get poorer. Even if the population stays the same, we have to buy a lot of stuff from the mainland, so LOTS of our money is going OFF the island every day. It has to be replaced from people bringing money from there to spend here, whether they are tourists, rich retirees, or trust-fund kids. (It would be ideal if we could sell something that could be delivered over the internet, then people might send us money and not come here. Or a catalog business. But realistically, that's not going to be happening too much.)

Let 'em come. The island will spit out those she doesn't like, one way or another.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:24 PM

Uh..they are also bringing real estate values up, rental prices up, because it's supply and demand. If there are folks who can afford to dole out $3000/month rent for a condo, why should the owner rent it to a poor ole local for $700?
It DOES hurt the locals. My sister has lived there 22 years and is not a trust fund kid. She has struggled the whole 22 years, and it just gets worse as more real estate is bought up by these rich folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
These are the people who provide the MONEY that, ultimately, feeds and clothes all of the rest of us on Kaua'i. While I'm envious, sure (and probably will be considered one of the "rich folks" in a couple of years, at least I hope so, though I will at least have to work for it), the fact is that we need people with lots of money to come here and buy what we are selling - whether that's groceries, houses, activities, natural healing, IT services, whatever. If the money that is here just keeps circulating around, and the population keeps growing (even if no one comes, if we keep having babies and living longer it will grow), we will all get poorer. Even if the population stays the same, we have to buy a lot of stuff from the mainland, so LOTS of our money is going OFF the island every day. It has to be replaced from people bringing money from there to spend here, whether they are tourists, rich retirees, or trust-fund kids. (It would be ideal if we could sell something that could be delivered over the internet, then people might send us money and not come here. Or a catalog business. But realistically, that's not going to be happening too much.)

Let 'em come. The island will spit out those she doesn't like, one way or another.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,421 times
I think housing rental costs have a great deal more to do with mortgage costs than the number of prospective renters. Property owners are not likely to rent units at less than their out-of-pocket costs, regardless of the number of tenant prospects. The "trust fund kids" are a huge myth here on Maui -- and I can only guess -- on Kauai as well. There are a few, but not nearly as many as are blamed for their impact on a now-fragile housing market.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:15 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,732 times
Tell your sister to move to the west side. The locals run the trust fund kids right outta town!!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:53 AM

that's what i am talkin' bout. i told her if i ever moved to Kaua'i and stayed, as beautiful as North Shore is, i would live on the west side, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Tell your sister to move to the west side. The locals run the trust fund kids right outta town!!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 AM

67 posts, read 269,771 times
If you cant afford to live there then you should move to south dakota or something. Please stop complaining about what other people have or dont have you have to work for success or be given it by your parents. Neither are illegal or wrong if you want to change your family tree then get up and do something about it but please stop complaining about it.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
When I was in Colorado in many of the more trendy areas their were alot of thsese waht they called trustee there. I thoungt they were talking about convicts at first. I just hope their trust funds last their whoole life as otehr waise thereis trouble ahead.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Let's hope their trust funds don't go down the tubes with the global financial crisis. What happens when the workerbees move to the mainland for a better quality of life and there is no one to garden, clean, cook and cater to the trust fund set?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 PM

Uh, my location states I am in Texas, not Hawaii. And none of my posts state that I live in Hawaii now. I can't afford to live there, hence, I don't live there!! So I have no idea what you are talking about!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilobound View Post
If you cant afford to live there then you should move to south dakota or something. Please stop complaining about what other people have or dont have you have to work for success or be given it by your parents. Neither are illegal or wrong if you want to change your family tree then get up and do something about it but please stop complaining about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii