Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 PM

210 posts, read 971,940 times

Advertisements

MadRussian, yes, believe it or not, i would trade places with you! I am a skier, and I crave the snow so much, I was born and raised n Siberia, I love snow and winter. not everyone wants hot weather all year round, it is BORING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 PM

ComfortablyNumb, there is AIR CONDITIONING in Texas! and cheap electricity! BIG DIFFERENCE. try heat and 100% humidity without AC, all year around, no AC in lots of public places too-like small stores or restaurants. you are sitting there drenched in sweat, in some places there is AC, but it is barely working. It is like being in a third world country, even my family in freaking Siberia where they have 2 months of heat has AC, so do all stores and restaurants.
I lived in Texas for 3 years-yes, it is hot, but there are ACs everywhere.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 PM

156 posts, read 805,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
MadRussian, yes, believe it or not, i would trade places with you! I am a skier, and I crave the snow so much, I was born and raised n Siberia, I love snow and winter. not everyone wants hot weather all year round, it is BORING
Sorry! We don't have snow. Rain, ice, cold, blustery north wind, but no snow. New York and Philly is not in Colorado.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM

156 posts, read 805,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
ComfortablyNumb, there is AIR CONDITIONING in Texas! and cheap electricity! BIG DIFFERENCE. try heat and 100% humidity without AC, all year around, no AC in lots of public places too-like small stores or restaurants. you are sitting there drenched in sweat, in some places there is AC, but it is barely working. It is like being in a third world country, even my family in freaking Siberia where they have 2 months of heat has AC, so do all stores and restaurants.
I lived in Texas for 3 years-yes, it is hot, but there are ACs everywhere.
Come on Julia! Go to Home Depot and buy AC! You are not poor! You CAN afford it! It's just getting ridiculous.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-10-2008 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-09-2008, 10:45 PM

No, MadRussian, I CANT. we dont even use the dryer, electricity here is expensive, and we will need 5 ACs at least to air condition our place. why the hell would i buy an AC for each room and living room, waste all the money, if I am not planning to stay here? for a rental house? Our electric bill is as high as it is already without any ACs. Do you suggest we pay $1000/month on AC?
I cant wait until you get here, MadRussian, i want to see how long you will last before running back! I want to hear everything about your move. Back in Ny, we used to buy frozen pelmeni and some russian salad, $6 for both, and it would be our dinner, now I make pelemni from scratch and it costs me at least $20. In you are not millinaire, good luck to you! Lets see how quickly you will get sick of Maui and run back to the east coast...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
Come on Julia! Go to Home Depot and buy AC! You are not poor! You CAN afford it! It's just getting ridiculous.
Yes, she could afford to buy the air conditioners, but she could not afford to run them. Find your electric bill, look to see how many kilowatts you used last month and multiply that by the forty five cents per kilowatt hour Julia would have to pay. That would be her monthly electric bill. I can't run air conditioners at all since I'm off the grid entirely and they use too much power for my system to handle.

For the past decade we have had a wave of mainland contractors and builders come through here who have built lots of houses with mainland construction methods. They figure the houses will be air conditioned, they don't put the big roof overhangs on them, they shut them up tightly so the cold won't get in, etc. We end up with nice looking (by mainland standards) but fairly unlivable houses. Letting the breeze blow through your house is necessary! The big eaves aren't to keep the rain away (although that is nice) it is to keep the sun off the sides of the house. Tin roofs without the insulator strips let a lot of hot air escape, etc. If Julia is in a "nicer" rental, she may be in one of these terrible to live in houses and not even know it.

Long ago, I asked my friend if he thought I should buy a particular car, his reply was "get what you like, you can fix everything else". That statement is pretty pertinent to a LOT of situations. Julia is not where she should be, she knows this and is fixing it as fast as she can but in the meantime it is not a requirement that everyone like Hawaii. I have friends who prefer Siberia to Hawaii so she's not the only one.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-10-2008 at 03:28 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
Not afford to run appliances? Turning to growing your own things because they are so expensive to buy? Eating at McDonalds a LUXURY? This is what one would hear from Equador, or Nigeria. Living in paradise certainly has its downside...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Not afford to run appliances? Turning to growing your own things because they are so expensive to buy? Eating at McDonalds a LUXURY? This is what one would hear from Equador, or Nigeria. Living in paradise certainly has its downside...
PRECISELY! That is absolutely what we try to tell folks but they still keep this "living in paradise" idea in their head. This "living in paradise" idea somehow includes a deserted white sand beach, a furnished McMansion (on or near the beach), fancy dinners, drinks with little paper umbrellas and parrots all over the place. It works for a vacation because you are willing to spend an awful lot because it is for a very short time. You can't live the fantasy "paradise" lifestyle full time with less than two commas in your annual salary. For the ultimate "living in paradise" you'll need more than a "1" in front of the first comma of that number.

Nor can you live like folks do on the mainland here on a mainland salary because everything for that lifestyle has to be shipped in from 2,500 miles away. Then factor in the lower salaries because most of the jobs are service jobs or someone is willing to do the same work for less so they can escape cold winters so you make less than your mainland counterpart.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:52 AM

for everyone who is planning their move--our income right now is twice more then what we had in Manhattan. and we have less left, we cannot save, money pretty much melts away-food, gas, electric, etc. it just dissapears. think about it before moving here. forget quality of life, etc. Take what you make now, and double it--thats how much you will need over here, and your quality of live will be decreased dramatically-no eating out, no trips, rare vacations, if any, isolated life.
If NY we made much less, but we could afford weekend trips, skiing trips, eating out, good clothes, and we still managed to save. And dont forget, we are talking about New York-the most expensive place in the US. If you move from somewhere else, the difference will completely overwhelm you. you make sure you have LOTs of money saved. Yeah, drinks with umbrellas are fine, if you can afford to pay $12 for a drink....
I can even imagine how people with children survive over here-it freaks me out, i looked at baby stuff at kmart out of curiousity--the prices are absolutely sick.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Well, that breaks it for me!!!!!!!!!! I'm booking a flight to NYC first thing in the morning,,, going to pack up all my Aloha shirts, board shorts, my leather bomber jacket, (it's around here somewhere????), and whatever else will come in handy up there!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the sound advice from your years of experience here in the Islands!!!!! Don't know what I'ld do without your wisdom and knowledge concerning Hawaii!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!

Aloha, and Melekalikimaka
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii