Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 AM

210 posts, read 972,310 times

Advertisements

MadRussian, Hoboken, Manhassett, Forest Hills, Middle Village-all 1 hour or less away from the city, GORGEOUS places! Forest Hills has great apartments, cheap ,beautiful parks. You can find everything in NY-stinky or not, Long Island is absolutely awesome, Weschester and CT are great too and short commute to the city. there are so many wonderful places to live. But, hell, we lived in manhattan, and we had a great appartment, believe it or not, we had not cocroaches and it was not crouded. If you look, you find, you make it sound like everyone lives like crap in NY. Our friends are renting the first floor of a house in Queens, great Polish neighbourhood, wonderful food, very clean, $1200 a month for a large two bedroom, 30 minutes commue to the city. Astoria has great clean and new buildings. You opinions about NY city are so ignorat, it is a big city, and you can find everything you want over there. Our living accoumodations over there were better then on Maui. Here our toilet clogs, we have no AC and we have ants that we cant get rid of. In NY we had AC, doorman and food delivery. And we did not need to drive anywhere for 40 mintes every day to buy groceries.
And I like the weather there more, believe it or not, we were in Long Island all summer, on the beach or hiking in the mountains, and in the winter we went skiing every weekend, I could not wait for the winter! I was practically counting days until it gets cold and ski season begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 03:14 PM

59 posts, read 203,785 times
Default Unhappy JuliaHuff

Just a question for you as I have been following these message boards for several months now. JuliaHuff, if I remember correctly, isn't your husband a doctor? Is he doing his residency and then planning on leaving the islands to save your marriage. If not, the writing is on the wall. Hope everything works out for you in 09'....Topher

Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Just a question for you as I have been following these message boards for several months now. JuliaHuff, if I remember correctly, isn't your husband a doctor? Is he doing his residency and then planning on leaving the islands to save your marriage. If not, the writing is on the wall. Hope everything works out for you in 09'....Topher
No kidding. Julia, you need to get off that island immediately and take your karma with you. You make it sound like you're living in San Quentin Penitentary rather than being a free person on a beautiful Pacific Island. Surely you can live here for a year or two without being so toxic. Cripes, I've been living on Kauai 8 years (winter here, summer in the midwest, truth be told) and you're dwelling on every rotten detail. People who usually do this aren't happy anywhere. This may not be paradise, but to my lifestyle it sure is a great place to live. Is it perfect? Of course not. I don't make a million bucks a year but I've got a nice house, great weather, I eat really good, healthy food and I've got a ton of friends. I dive, snorkel or swim when I want to, hike every day, I go to a great gym with lots of friendly locals, and I sleep soundly every night. I got everything I need and I'm not blowing a fortune. Is it more expensive than the mainland? Yes it is. But if you know your way around and can find some deals, it's not so bad. Good grief. I'm sure your husband is getting reamed every day, poor SOB.

Peace

Edit: I've read some more of your postings Julia and now I understand. You're a Russian woman. Say no more. Where you came from is always better than where you are now. And you're an expert on everything.

Last edited by bulldogboy; 12-30-2008 at 07:55 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 AM

66 posts, read 354,152 times
Default bully

"Julia and now I understand. You're a Russian woman. Say no more."

Wow bullydogboy,

I'm surprised that you have any friends with you sarcastic, judgmental, sexist attitude.

Peace

Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 AM

5 posts, read 11,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by We're All Aliens View Post
"Julia and now I understand. You're a Russian woman. Say no more."

Wow bullydogboy,

I'm surprised that you have any friends with you sarcastic, judgmental, sexist attitude.

Peace
I'm such a Bully. Read her posts where she craps on the islands and calls them (and I'm paraphrasing, thought you might need that spelled out) expensive, slummy, cultural wastelands. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, mushball...even me. Now gimmie some Aloha, brudda! Lighten up, dude.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Hilarious. I cannot, cannot, cannot stand NYC...and I dream of living in Hawaii.

How different we all are in what is important and pleasing to us.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:52 AM

806 posts, read 2,342,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Also, do you "feel" the fact you are actually on a tiny island in the middle of a gigantic ocean? Is there a sort of isolating feeling like that?

It's like being in a place with a mountain on one side and water on the other, the rest is buildings, roads, shops, houses, stuff like you'd find in any small city.
Isolation is not that bad of a feeling, it's nice to know where your boundaries lie, I couldn't imagine living in the middle of the US, you could just keep going and going and going, that's creepy to me. Some people actually like being snuggled in somewhere!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogboy View Post
I'm such a Bully. Read her posts where she craps on the islands and calls them (and I'm paraphrasing, thought you might need that spelled out) expensive, slummy, cultural wastelands. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, mushball...even me. Now gimmie some Aloha, brudda! Lighten up, dude.
Precisely. Her opinion doesn't match yours but it is her opinion and she is allowed to have it. You are allowed, of course, to disagree with it. However, we will respect you more if you disagree in a witty and interesting way.

It is fortunate that not everyone likes living here, otherwise these little rocks in the middle of the big Pacific would sink under the load. What's the saying the Scots have? Something about "if we all liked the same things just think of the haggis shortage there would be?"

Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM

218 posts, read 755,934 times
I thought it was a shock to the system just moving to Florida from Pa... first thing I missed was really good BREAD. I can certainly sympathize with a NYer going through all the withdrawals -- just moving to Florida!:>)

Hawai'i, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother way of life entirely -- People need to really look at a globe to really put it in perspective, and do some serious, serious RESEARCH, before moving there.
I am very thankful to hear all the objective scoops on here -- especially in regard to respecting the Locals and their philosophies (as to avoid "Stink Eye" and what is mistaken for "prejudice".) MUCH different than up here. It's not like going to Miami, Naples, Boca... even the Keys.

I thought that people relocating to Florida only to chronically complain about the HEAT were funny. When you move to Hawai'i, it's not just an exotic location -- it's a WAY of LIFE there. People need to respect just what it IS there before even considering a move. Several years ago, I was thisclose to jumping on a plane to Hawai'i. Glad I realized it wasn't just another bunch of pretty tropical Islands and volcanoes where Magnum lived or I would have been in for some awakening! I would have gotten Stink Eye BIG TIME at every turn if I acted like what is normal in my area! Now I know that if I go, I would appreciate all that it is, and for all the right reasons and also be more conscious of my wording, behaviour and mannerisms.

Thanks to all the scoops people share on forums like this one clearing up all the misconceptions, giving the whole picture, I won't try to make it into something that I want it to be -- but appreciate it for what it IS. Or I can just glance at that Globe to really drive the reality home :>)

Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 PM

66 posts, read 354,152 times
Default gimmie gimmie gimmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogboy View Post
*gimmie* dude, you got to give to get. don't go crappin on women and then askin a SISTAH for Aloha. I have 2 Russian women sistah friends on the island who I should refer you to for a good cultural akole whoopin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii