Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

College graduate, moving to Hawaii, drunk driving accident when teenager, left foot amputated wear prosthesis, amputee at the beach, hospitality industry, rental prices

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwillUNDERSTANDitALL View Post
Comfortably Numb, I am -with- you man. I'm from Arizona..

But I much value the spiritual, soul-ful things in life, more than material. Which, is exactly the opposite of where I grew up.

I would rather hang out with close people smoking pokalola (sp) playing ukelele, or in nature, or at the beach...then go to a mall. Not that I don't like malls, well... yea, I don't like malls. haha

I have this aching feeling that I need to be around people who have hearts...not just outer fronts. I see that in the Mexican culture where I live in Arizona. I saw that in Maui when I visited, but mainly just with the local real hawaiian people. I was treated very well. A man who picked me up hitchhiking bought me lunch! THEN he took me to where I wanted to go. It was totally out of his way. He was even near my age. Just a cool dude.

Anyways I'm not very trusting of people because I read people very easily/fast. But many people in hawaii were so relaxing, in fact I suddenly felt like -I-, was the one without heart. Because i've had to shield myself so much on the mainland... from heartless judging people. Its not who I want to be... thats why i need to be around more good people who have more interest in smiles than gucci shirts.

I was raised Christian and my parents are from minnesota. so i was raised , i think, with good morals and ethics...but mainly, having respect for other people. but i've been hurt by people who don't have respect... its tiresome the amt of road rage, disrespect i see around me...

neways just wanted to say i feel you on what your saying. i think its great you are moving, because i think our intuition tells how we need to move. physically moving large distances was probably part of our human genetic nature for what...98% of the time we have been humans? then we started agriculture... and now we can literally spend 10 years living in a 2 mile radius bubble... and most of that following the same exact routes...talk about lack of life and living... thats like a rat living in a cage. and we laugh at them.... yet we are that same rat!
Oh I hear you, my good man. That is the same exact thing that is calling me to Hawaii. I too read people too well, and I think it is really a double-edged sword, revealing to me how vapid, shallow, and mindless our culture has truly become. It's even way worse now than compared to when I was a young kid growing up in the early 90's. Socializing is no longer getting together and having fun, but now usually just getting together on the pretense of getting drunk while talking about nonsense.

As a person who can't play that game that well, it makes it increasingly difficult for me to live here happily. People don't even care about eachother that much over here anymore, and everyone is very judgmental and just moving WAY TOO FAST. If they do show some sense of compassion, it is rare that it will ever extend out of what could directly benefit them, because they will say that they just "don't have time" because their mind runs at 1,000,000 mph. There are, of course, still many good people here.

All in all, though, this is just very bad for my soul, because inside I am a very peaceful and loving person who greatly enjoys celebrating existence with my fellow man. The pervasive lack of virtue I see in the society around me, especially in recent generations, makes me bitter and cynical. Life is too short and meaningful to ever be lived that way.

Back in university I used to hang out with Chinese people I met in my school's Buddhist group, and it was patently obvious that their programming was just entirely different. Socializing to them was typically getting together, cooking or getting dinner, and talking about things that at least had some substance. I never had realized how most Americans in a conversation just wait to talk rather than actually listening. From what it sounds like, Hawaii is more of a place like this than anywhere else in the US (although I'm not foolish enough to think it is some ideal place of perfection where my entire soul will feel at peace).

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii