Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 08:30 PM

16 posts, read 65,778 times

Advertisements

Howdy i am a texas cowboy im 22 years old and grew up in corpus christi meaning (body of christ) texas! im very friendly and love the beach(corpus christi is a beach town on the gulf of mexico) im a massage therapist and want to move to hawaii and dont know which island i want to go to! i have picked oahu(honolulu) or whatever the best city in maui is like the biggest one cant remember! but not sure which would be better off for me? any suggestions?

i understand living in honolulu (hawaii) is expensive and never have been there so is there a place that i could live right outside of honolulu is there an area on oahu or maui that yall recomend thats not the biggest city but close and really fun? i try to look on a map but not sure how long it takes to get from one place to the next im lookin to pay 700-1000 bucks in rent what am i lookin to pay in regular groceries? how much is gasoline? is gettin a car a bad idea? or would i be better off with a moped? is car insurance like super expensive compared to the mainland? since im a massage therapist i was lookin at a resort prolly to work in cause i think i will make the best money there! which resort do yall recomend thats very nice in oahu? which one do yall recomend for maui?

but basicly i just need advice! anything would be amazing cause i dont know much other than what i have read which is moving my stuff there will be expensive and bein a massage therapist where is the best place to work? what island do u recomend? how is commuting in oahu and maui? can i live in another city/ small town and still commute to honolulu or whatever city in maui yall recomend? or is that a bad idea? but any recomendations/advice would be very helpful thank yall very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 08:46 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Honolulu is the only really true "city" in the state of Hawaii. Everything else is just towns although some of them are pretty big towns. Honolulu covers about half of Oahu and it includes Waikiki as sort of a district within the city of Honolulu. Oahu is probably the most "fun" island and has the most job prospects but it is also the most expensive island as well as the most crowded.

Perhaps, since you haven't visited Hawaii before, you could pack your things into numbered boxes and leave them with someone on the mainland? Then instead of moving all your stuff here and having to find a place to put it as well as pay to get it here, you'd be able to just bring the barest minimum of stuff you'd need to start out and then as you found a spot and figured out where you wanted to live or even if you wanted to live here, then you could send for the rest of your boxes. If your boxes are numbered and you have an inventory sheet, you could request the specific boxes you wanted. This will leave you the option of staying in a hostel, at the YMCA or sharing a house or a room with other housemates while you figure out how things work over here.

On Oahu, you can get around on the bus well enough so a car wouldn't be necessary right away. Bicycles, motorcycles, mopeds, etc. are all less expensive than a car as well as easier to find parking spots for, too.

"Regular" groceries will probably be much more expensive than you are used to since the stuff you are used to is all imported from the mainland. On Oahu there are tons of places to buy food and many folks don't even really cook much at all, they just eat out or live off of snacks. We don't buy many groceries at retail since it is too expensive so I can't really give you too many prices. There are a lot of farmer's markets, asian markets and on Oahu they have inexpensive vegetables and meats available at Chinatown. That is also fun to shop in just to see the place, too. At the other end of the spectrum, they did put in a Whole Foods where Star Market used to be at Kahala Mall and the prices there seemed terribly expensive even for Hawaii.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 PM

16 posts, read 65,778 times
what is the best city in maui?( for fun and job wise as a massage therapist?)

do u like oahu or maui better?

im lookin to pay 700-1000 bucks in rent is this reasonable for ether island? im not lookin for the best or anything just dont want the worse and dont wanna get stabbed/shot/jumped im a very peaceful cowboy.

what surronding cities or towns or whatever they are do u recomend that are around honolulu that would make it easy to commute to work and such via moped or car?

is living near the University a good place to live? i wanna have fun but also be able to get to work and be safe and just have an easy goin stay in hawaii!

how easy is it to drive to other towns/cities on oahu or maui? like to get to houston to dallas it takes about 5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii