Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 PM

850 posts, read 4,366,023 times

Advertisements

i know for sure on maui there's at least one farm. on o'ahu? i dunno.

what's kinda neat, you might recall, is that the city and county of honolulu usually gets their tree from someone's yard/neighborhood. this year, i believe a cute older lady donated hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 04:48 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,307,014 times
*Bump* (Noticed KTA is getting ready for trees--it's about that time!)

I was searching for hotcatz's post about the trees she uses at Christmas. We're thinking about a potted tree this year. We've also considered skipping the tree and just using poinsettia's and candles to decorate. What will other Hawaii folks be doing this year?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
True, they do grow pretty big. The one in the back yard is huge but it was here long before I was and will probably still be there long after I'm gone. Someone did want to buy it, cut it down and make it into lumber or bowls or something, but it is fine just where it is. If it was cut down it would leave a stump about three feet across and I'm sure that tree is one reason the dirt is still there, otherwise it would have fallen down the mountain already.

Are there any Christmas tree farms on the island, do you know? There is the fellow who has a few Norfolks growing in his yard, but I'd think up the mountain it would get cold enough that mainland type Christmas trees would grow?
Christmas tree farm on Maui; I buy mine at Home Depot every year and am pleased with the condition and shape. No more expensive then back East.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 PM

68 posts, read 245,395 times
Aloha all. Norfolk Pines are a great idea for indoor Christmas trees. Ive got a six foot one that weve decorated for the past 3 years. But being in Michigan we wont be able to plant it outside in 2-3 years when it gets too big. But I work part time with the city conservatory here (on cycads, tree ferns & palms) so it will have a home there. Weve also got a Bunya Bunya pine at home, but the wife doesnt like it because its too picky!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 PM

432 posts, read 1,203,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
...What will other Hawaii folks be doing this year?
For the past several years, the elementary school in Pauillo has done a fund raiser of making available (for a donation) Christmas trees that it grows on school land. Nice trees, and since Pauillo is one of the more economically challenged communities the proceeds are very helpful to buy stuff for students that parents might not be able to help with.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 AM

155 posts, read 545,056 times
Yes, there is a Christmas tree farm on Maui. My husband did some work there last month. The owner offerred him a free tree.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:23 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,301,813 times
Merry Christmas all. On Kauai there is always the last minute mad dash to locate the last container of mainland trees which ultimately ends up being at Home Depot. Of course on Kauai the old timers (such as myself) prefer the Norfolk Pine which we call "The Hawaiian Christmas Tree." This Christmas is going to be fantastic!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Merry Christmas all. On Kauai there is always the last minute mad dash to locate the last container of mainland trees which ultimately ends up being at Home Depot. Of course on Kauai the old timers (such as myself) prefer the Norfolk Pine which we call "The Hawaiian Christmas Tree." This Christmas is going to be fantastic!
Home Depot in Lihue ran out of trees weeks ago. I was told they didn't order as many as last year because of the economy but surprise they sold out early.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:15 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,704 times
We went to HD last week to find... no trees!! The artificial ones are bogus (and expensive!), so we decided to try something different this year. Found some artificial pine garlands for 1/2 price at Ace, strung them up around the lanai, lights, ornaments, and voila! Christmas!

We even picked one short one and hung all of our fish and undersea-type ornaments (we're from Maryland so we have crabs! even a plaid one!) on it. Then hubby found some old lights that look like glowing sea urchins. Our new ornament this year is a bobbling octopus. We have a puffer fish (real, dried), and even a stuffed ray to add to the scene.

So far our first tree-less Christmas is just fine. We even heard that they still had some trees down in Lawai, but eh, we'll leave them for other folks.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
We went to HD last week to find... no trees!! The artificial ones are bogus (and expensive!), so we decided to try something different this year. Found some artificial pine garlands for 1/2 price at Ace, strung them up around the lanai, lights, ornaments, and voila! Christmas!

We even picked one short one and hung all of our fish and undersea-type ornaments (we're from Maryland so we have crabs! even a plaid one!) on it. Then hubby found some old lights that look like glowing sea urchins. Our new ornament this year is a bobbling octopus. We have a puffer fish (real, dried), and even a stuffed ray to add to the scene.

So far our first tree-less Christmas is just fine. We even heard that they still had some trees down in Lawai, but eh, we'll leave them for other folks.
I'm from Maryland also, living in Kalaheo, small world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii