Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times

Advertisements

Wow...I live on the BI. Been here a little over a year now. I was lucky and found full time employment after only two weeks. But you know what...? I'd love to have even just a few minutes during my week to be a 'beach bum'. Do nothing...think only about how beautiful the water is and the mountains. Man, this wasn't what I expected, either. I thought I'd have at least a month or two for relaxing after many many grueling years in Seattle. Sheesh... I say come on over and let whatever happens, happen! Reality comes in many forms. So... maybe we'll see you soon, eh Bruddah?
Koale!

Last edited by Koale; 11-28-2009 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: thought about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,663 times
Plus all the crime and murders and drugs and the complete Aholes that live in Florida, I lived in the Tampa area myself a couple of years and I will never go back that state as long as I live.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:04 AM

805 posts, read 1,510,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

If you haven't been to Hawaii, you don't understand some of the culture. You could be putting your life at risk if you are just sleeping out on some beach. There are many instances and reports of people being jumped at the beach, especially on some parts of Oahu. This is not some idyllic unpopulated island like you see in the movies. Areas that may look 'safe' to you may be very dangerous. Or there may be local families who live there and you don't want to get in the middle of that.

This is totally true. Something very few people think of when moving from the mainland. "Haoles" constantly get jumped. I know personally of 3 separate people in separate incidents who were attacked -- two of them in Maui, the other one in Kauai. Not a one-on-one attack. But a whole gang or two against one. Something that you'll have a hard time running away from even if you aren't disabled. It can happen anywhere, especially if you live on the beach. We're talking internal injuries and missing teeth....!

I also know a woman who went camping in her van on the beach, and was raped.

Not trying to make you paranoid or saying it will happen to every white person but it can happen, and does. One sad incident was when a visitor who was a father swimming in the ocean with a BABY in his arms attacked. On Maui.

I'd say to the OP, whatever island you go to...get a cheap place to live and stay off the beach/streets. Get on your moped and ride to the beach. When darkness comes, you can go safely home.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:35 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureplan10 View Post
Plus all the crime and murders and drugs and the complete Aholes that live in Florida, I lived in the Tampa area myself a couple of years and I will never go back that state as long as I live.
Yeah, it looks like they can even be found in Connecticut.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
zoa

60 posts, read 491,285 times
If I had the opportunity (and perpetual resources) to buy one-way tickets to places I wanna go... I'd do it in a heartbeat! Just for the experience! CJHUSMC - you do what ever you want.. you just gotta face the circumstances of your choices.

That is the only way to live!!!

So.. some advice from someone who has lived here all her life (with some of those one-way ticket stints to other places)...

1 - Come to Oahu - it has many of the amenities you'd want, still has enough country, and a superb city bus system to get you most anywhere on the island.

2 - Make reservation at the YMCA on Atkinson St. (near Ala Moana area). Many just coming over from the mainland stay there for relatively low prices and can still bum at the beaches

3 - Forget scooter, invest in a disabled bus pass TheBus - Fares & Passes and ride to any beach you want on the island! Even get camping permits and stay for up to 5 days LEGALLY! Department of Parks and Recreation, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu (http://www.honolulu.gov/parks/permits.htm - broken link)

4 - After you get tired of the townie beaches of the island (Waikiki to Ala Moana) venture further away after learning the way of things. There are still places where you can find Bachelor Apartments (you get a room, utilities, but share bathroom/showers) with lower rents (below $500/mo for long term). I know several veterans and this is EXACTLY what they've done.

5 - of note... do NOT be one of those pan-handling types. THOSE vets get into serious trouble with other vets...

6 - The VA has a program here for housing veterans in what used to be Barber's Point barracks. If you don't mind hanging out with a bunch of other vets (both disabled and non) then this could also be an option. Once you get here, you gotta check with the local VA office about it though.

hmm.... I can't think of anything else right now.

When do you plan on coming?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 AM

236 posts, read 648,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
And so his last post was 1/23/2009... I wonder what happened to him?

And interestingly enough, in this thread, posted at the roughly same time, he has a wife, a combined income and a daughter in kindergarten..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...alifornia.html

I'm assuming the wife left him, which is why he wants to be a beach bum for awhile. Perfectly understandable.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
Actually I'm as fair skinned a person you will ever meet for someone who has lived on the islands as long as I have. -Originally from San Diego also. So, I'm clearly not the "native Hawaiian". Also not bitter or angry...just trying to keep people realistic in their "dreams". You're from Illinois....why are you on the Hawaii site anyway? Don't you have snow to shovel or something??
You waited 3 years and 5 months to reply to my post?
Why am I posting on Hawaii forum?
Well, I do live on da Big Island... and there would not be snow in June, in Illinois...

Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
You guys on the Big Island need to pay closer attention to your medication schedules. Looks like you missed a day or 1000 there MD...

Aloha

Old 06-10-2012, 01:39 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
01-21-2009, 03:49 PM mdand3boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Actually, he has stated that he income of $2500 per month, is used to living as homeless or nearly so by choice and wants to check it out. In my opinion, I say "Go for it" as well, based upon the info provided.

I find that on a number of forums and blogs that there seems to be a few of those "DON'T EVEN THINK OF MOVING HERE" types continuously posting. Some of these people are bitter and angry that anyone other than a Native Hawaii type even lives on the islands to begin with. This is rather sad and goes against the Aloha principles...
01-21-2009, 05:34 PM maui08

Quote:
Actually, he has stated that he income of $2500 per month, is used to living as homeless or nearly so by choice and wants to check it out. In my opinion, I say "Go for it" as well, based upon the info provided.

I find that on a number of forums and blogs that there seems to be a few of those "DON'T EVEN THINK OF MOVING HERE" types continuously posting. Some of these people are bitter and angry that anyone other than a Native Hawaii type even lives on the islands to begin with. This is rather sad and goes against the Aloha principles...

Quote:
Actually I'm as fair skinned a person you will ever meet for someone who has lived on the islands as long as I have. -Originally from San Diego also. So, I'm clearly not the "native Hawaiian". Also not bitter or angry...just trying to keep people realistic in their "dreams". You're from Illinois....why are you on the Hawaii site anyway? Don't you have snow to shovel or something??

Today, 06:34 PM mdand3boys

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
You waited 3 years and 5 months to reply to my post?
Why am I posting on Hawaii forum?
Well, I do live on da Big Island... and there would not be snow in June, in Illinois...
HUH? Unless there has been some recent editing, seem to me that Maui08 responded in Jan. 09.

Too much Saturday night partying going on somewhere??

[More Aloha added to Junjohann's]

Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
High five there, JJ!

OTOH, MDand3 is constantly chanting that there is nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads. At least she's practicing what she preaches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii