Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 PM

23 posts, read 79,907 times

Advertisements

I live in a condo that my fiance bought a couple of years ago. Included are 2 parking spaces. My fiance has been parking his motorcycle infront of his car within the parking space lines. I'm just wondering if the parking space is our property or a "common area" in the condo. We're having some problems with our condo board. They're saying we can't park the motorcycle infront of the car. Even though it's within our parking space. I'm wondering what rights do we have as condo owners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:16 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
I've never lived in a condo but it is my assumption that condo boards exert as much authority as they think they can get away with. You say you have rights to two parking spaces, but the condo board might think you only have rights to park two vehicles.

If the car and the motorcycle are both in the same space and you can demonstrate that the area used up by the two is the same or less than somebody's Oldsmobile, then you need to get snotty with them and make them show you legalese to say they're right. You should have been given a copy of the association rules when you moved in. Get lots of coffee and read it through several times.

Bob

Last edited by SkyBob; 02-15-2009 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: spelling errors, all the time, spelling errors

Old 02-15-2009, 03:22 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
If your condo has assigned parking, then it should be fairly obvious as to where you can park. If there is a parking limitation, as in one parking place per condo, then you can't take up two spots. Anyways, it always irritates me when someone takes what is essentially a bike with a motor on it and occupies a full parking space. Maybe you've ruffled a few feathers. Not part of the Aloha spirit to be greedy, even with parking places. Just a thought,,,,,,,

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-15-2009, 03:43 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
If your condo has assigned parking, then it should be fairly obvious as to where you can park. If there is a parking limitation, as in one parking place per condo, then you can't take up two spots. Anyways, it always irritates me when someone takes what is essentially a bike with a motor on it and occupies a full parking space. Maybe you've ruffled a few feathers. Not part of the Aloha spirit to be greedy, even with parking places. Just a thought,,,,,,,

Aloha and okolemaluna
Read her note again. She says included with the purchase of the condo was two parking spaces. It doesn't sound like she's being greedy. On the contrary, she is putting two vehicles in one space.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 AM

23 posts, read 79,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
Read her note again. She says included with the purchase of the condo was two parking spaces. It doesn't sound like she's being greedy. On the contrary, she is putting two vehicles in one space.
thanks skybob for reading my post acurately. i've read the condo rules before and it says nothing about having 2 vehicles in 1 stall. we get along with everyone and make it a point a be extra friendly since it is a small building but it seems like some people are out to get us. in our old condo a lot of people parked a motorcycle in back of their car. i guess we shouldn't have moved into a building with a bunch of old people. anyways thanks to everyone for their input!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Sorry I missed the "included" part. There's no reason for them to get on you about taking up two parking spots. Just go to your resident manager, sure they will straighten things out. One of the things about living in a "condo" enviornment, is that there are always going to be a few folks who aren't going to like whatever you do,,,,,, keeps em busy,,,,,,

Aloha and okolemaluna

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-17-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: uncalled for

Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Have they "noticed" you officially with a letter from the Board citing the the rule you are breaking, giving you some deadline and/or penalty for noncompliance? If not, if it's just been words, then I'm thinking the issue is not addressed per se, in the rules. I many condo house rules that I have read, motocycles and scooters are specifically addressed in that IF the scooter/bike can be parked in the space and allow a car to park with neither taking up more space than is allowed (not going over the lines etc), then it's allowed.

Sounds like you have the typical big duck in little puddle situation going on coupled with folks who really need to get a life. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 16,876 times
Default Parking spaces

FIrst, read your Declaration and the read the rules.

Of course, condo boards are notorious for only following the Declaration when they choose to, but nevertheless, read the documents.

Here's my 'guess', based on our condo. Your parking is probably limited common (LC), meaning common, but for your exclusive use. The spaces are probably restricted to parking vehicles, only. Not storage, for example.

I would not be surprised if parking a bicycle or motorbike in the space, together with a vehicle is a violation of your rules. The logic, I suppose, is that one of the two vehicles would extend out farther than expected. So, if another resident backs into the overhanging vehicle, there may be a legitimate dispute over responsiblity.

But, when you read the rules, I'll bet you find other violations. Then, you could try the 'why me and not them, too' approach.

Is it okay for a Board to pick and choose which parking rules to apply? Probably not, but they probably think it is. And, what reasonably should you do about it, except to note that they are arbitrary, self-motivated, biased, and perhaps idiots.

My experience is that Boards think their authority is somewhat unlimited, without regard to limitation of Declarations or laws. But, give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:46 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Cool So...

The next unit over parks 10 motorcycles and 1 VW bug in one of their spots, no overhang, they fit just jine, and 2 VW bugs and 7 motorcycle in their second 'assigned' parking spot, still no overhang and those also fit just as well. Now what ????? I think it's common sense and common courtesy to all the other tenants. One vehicle per assigned parking spot. That's my guess.
Koale

Old 10-10-2009, 11:20 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Is the motorcycle loud? If so, that may be why you are being singled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii