Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandBum View Post
I apologize, your post came across as a bit exasperated with the "sigh", italics, bold and uppercase.
Sorry for the harshness - someone else has me riled up.

Let's just leave it at you can't take pets in the cabin. You could long ago - I think ATA was the last carrier you could until they stopped flying to Hawaii.

A lot of pets fly to Hawaii as luggage/cargo and they come over fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 AM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times
it is true, NO pets are allowed to fly into hawaii in the cabin, they can fly OUT of hawaii in the cabin if they are the right size but not IN to the state. doesn't matter if the airline list the size of the carrier a dog would need for in cabin travel it does not apply to animals going into the state of hawaii. ag law is very strict and all the airlines follow the rules to the letter.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,300 times
I fly back and forth with my dogs several times a year. I flew when ATA would allow in cabin pets and mine flew at my feet. Unless it has changed in the last year or so, IN CABIN restrictions are solely from the airlines. I asked the quarantine people and they said they have no problem collecting the pets from the cabin like they did when ATA was flying. Now, when a service dog or support dog comes in cabin it is the airlines responsibility to take you with your animal to the quarantine office. Maybe the economy has limited their ability to do what they used to but the airline COULD take in cabin pets the same as service dogs, etc. to quarantine. It is my understanding that only Hawaiian allows in cabin pets flying from Hawaii. I wish more people would ask airlines to NOT restrict in cabin pets to Hawaii.

I have traveled with my pets in cargo and there has never been a problem.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I wish more people would ask airlines to NOT restrict in cabin pets to Hawaii.
I hope you recognize that there are a lot of people who would not agree. I'm on the other side of this issue. I wish all animals (except bonafide service animals) were banned from all airplane cabins everywhere. Sorry, nothing personal, I just don't want them in my space due to allergies and a host of previous bad experiences.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:25 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,819,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I hope you recognize that there are a lot of people who would not agree. I'm on the other side of this issue. I wish all animals (except bonafide service animals) were banned from all airplane cabins everywhere. Sorry, nothing personal, I just don't want them in my space due to allergies and a host of previous bad experiences.
Keep the animals, get rid of the babies and small children!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
You said it not me

Old 01-27-2012, 01:45 AM

270 posts, read 506,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

I saw this and it crossed my mind if any airlines have ever surveyed (asked) the public, that may fly or does fly to the "islands", (or anywhere for that matter) on longer flights, about this topic? Specifically, would those with accompanying children be receptive to making their travel projections in the future, with other parents/families, as an incentive? In brief, establish a "family flight" that catered to their needs as a group with stocked items for same. Toys, food/snacks/formula, diapers, G children films, etc as a "backup" or direct inducement for overall comfort and "needs". Configurations may be as developed by responses of passengers, and cost acceptance.

The point is that perhaps people would be willing to make such a long flight tailored for their needs, by making reservations well in advance to obtain that service. Trained attendants, or a few extras, for that type service would certainly aid moms and dads as an extra hand. It could be a recurring flight and as close to a specific "charter" by intent, as any scheduled flight could possibly satisfy. Those adults not with children would then likely be able to arrange flights, otherwise not configured, if they so desired. Call it "family flights" or something to remove the stress for parents and kids. If they already do this, I did not get the memo.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,684,158 times
The sad point with a Shih Tzu is because of their short nose it is advised not to have them transported in the belly of the plane.
I think there is also a couple of other breeds with this issue. I remember reading about this online while looking for flights with my Shih Tzu.

http://www.the-happy-dog-spot.com/dog-air-travel.html
http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...d-on-airlines/

Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
"family flights"
Good idea, but the extra cost for staff and the room people actually need for families would make it like a first class cabin.

Seems like every flight I have taken to the mainland has had small children. It used to bother me, because lots of parents have a much higher tolerance for loud volume whining than I do.

But now I just bring ear plugs and politely smile at the children as they drive their parents and/or their neighbors insane.

Today's message was brought to you by emoticon.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Why do people insist upon propagating a breed that has physical limitations like this?

I also do not believe dogs/cats should be in the cabin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii