Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Why do people insist upon propagating a breed that has physical limitations like this?

I also do not believe dogs/cats should be in the cabin.
The only physical "limitation" my breed (boxer) has is that they don't fly well. Not being able to fly because of a short snout is an absurd, ridiculous reason not to "propogate the breed." Boxers were around before there were commercial airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM

13 posts, read 190,964 times
Wow...what I come away from this thread with is that it may cost $10K to transport myself and my 3 Irish Wolfhounds to the islands. Surely there is some other safe (and more economical) way to get there with dogs the size of ponies...

Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIrishly View Post
Wow...what I come away from this thread with is that it may cost $10K to transport myself and my 3 Irish Wolfhounds to the islands. Surely there is some other safe (and more economical) way to get there with dogs the size of ponies...
You'll have to get a quote - but they say $3,500 to $12,000 per passenger one way to Hawaii and the pets fly in the cabin with you. Figure on the high side for your pony dogs . You also need to pay all the quarantine prep costs - figure over $500 per pet.

Here is a link

DogTravel Company

Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Time to update the infor which has been lost over time:

1. The State of Hawaii has no regulations as to where a animal flies in the airplane on trips to and from Hawaii. Any and all restrictions are inplace by airline policy.

2. Animals traveling outside the passenger cabin are still in a climate controlled pressurized area. No major difference in being in the cabin or the cargo hold except for the pressence of passengers.

3. Airlines restrict animals in the passeneger cabin due to problems that occured from passengers trying to screw with the process and get around Hawaii kaw. Since airlines are held liable for violations, they said enough is enough and if the passengers can't behave themself, no more pets in the cabin!

4. Brachycephalic dog and cats are equally subject to health problems be it in the passenger cabin or the cargo hold. Studies by the DOT shows that brachycephalic animals account for more than half of all reported deaths and injuries although they account for only 25% of all shipments. The physical issues with brachycephalic animals make them unsuited for Flight, not really if in passneger or cargo.

5. Many issues with shipping pets is due in part to the limitation of the aircarft currently used on the mainland to Hawaii routes. You always have the option of using the cargo only flights between the mainland and Hawaii.

6. Service Animals are exempt (to the extent they abide by the rules) from restrictions on travel and Hawaii has special quarantine rules for legitimate Service Animals. There are aslo special quarantine inspection rules for Service Animals to include "gate inspections" so the Service Animal and owber are not seperated.

Any Q's just ask away....

Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM

I may have been incorrect in an earlier reply - one of my coworkers says Alaska Air lets you fly with pets in the cabin to/from Hawaii as of Aug 2011 - I didn't see anything on their website to suggest differently - give them a call to verify. What is good is that Alaska only charges $100 which is a lot less than Hawaiian.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I may have been incorrect in an earlier reply - one of my coworkers says Alaska Air lets you fly with pets in the cabin to/from Hawaii as of Aug 2011 - I didn't see anything on their website to suggest differently - give them a call to verify. What is good is that Alaska only charges $100 which is a lot less than Hawaiian.
We brought our cats over via Hawaiian. Because of where they are in relation to the holding facility, the process was super smooth. Plus, flying Hawaiian makes it feel like you are there once you are on the plane. IMHO.

NOTE: Each class of plane is only allowed to check so many animal crates under the plane. The plane we took can only handle 4 containers, one pet per. I made sure to call and book the flight that had room for the pets via phone.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
NOTE: Each class of plane is only allowed to check so many animal crates under the plane. The plane we took can only handle 4 containers, one pet per. I made sure to call and book the flight that had room for the pets via phone.
There are no regulations as to the number of crates an airline can carry on any specific aircraft. These are put into place by the airlines, not by regulations. Three airlines flying the same identical aircraft can have a limit of 4 on one, a limit of 40 on the other, and the third can have a limit of 400.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 PM

For those who like to fly with pets in the cabin - here is the downside:

Loose cat in cockpit delays Air Canada flight - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Old 01-27-2012, 04:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,473 times
Well, for my example, it was Hawaiian Airlines, and they only allowed 4 crates per flight Jan of 2010. That might have changed.

Either way it's smart to ask so you don't have an unexpected "uh oh".

Old 01-27-2012, 04:58 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
What a Catastrophe.

Last edited by honobob; 01-27-2012 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii