Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:06 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times

Advertisements

You also need to ensure you have a place to stay with your dog once you arrive in the islands and have completed the quarantine requirements...lots of places do not allow animals. (And base housing has a "list" you wait for...been there, done that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM

76 posts, read 198,330 times
HI Paka!

Man, I know - it just seems so overwhelming! They said the housing wait list is 12+ months. We have been told that before and gotten a house within a month - so you just never know until you get there. We are anticipating living in town though. Any advise?
I have already started a small list of dog friendly hotels. Getting a charter together is the number one priority, hotel number 2, house number 3. Isn't moving fun?!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:43 PM

Hi!
I am excited to say that we are well on our way to putting together a charter flight from LAX to Honolulu. Have a few people interested in a flight from DC to LAX, but hope to get more.
Please let me know if you are interested in either of these flights. We do not have dates set yet.
Thanks!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 PM

806 posts, read 2,342,321 times
If your plane makes a stop in Seattle, we may be interested. We are a family of 4 with 2 lap dogs heading for Maui.

I have shipped 3 dogs over a LONG time ago, and they did fine. No trauma or sickness. I could hear my big dog barking at the porters, I bet that was annoying to them.
My friends dog actually got out of her cage and scared the hell out of the groundcrew (pit mix) she just wanted to run around.
Another dog gave birth to her litter while in flight- BIG $$$ at the quarantine station..

Make sure you follow all the Ag rules or you will have to pay $$$. They don't mess around!!

Keep me posted on the price and everything. Mahalo!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 AM

As of now my plan is as follows - October flight from LAX or Long Beach to Honolulu. My goal is to have the fare at $2500 per passenger. Lower would be great, and if it is possible, I will do it. Higher is also possible, as it depends on how many passengers we end up with and how much fuel is at the time. Please note, dogs will be considered passengers, as they will have their own seat.

I am also looking at a flight from Washington DC to LAX or Long Beach. I have not had as much interest in this one as I have the LAX to HNL. But I am really going to try, as I really don't want to drive coast to coast!

On a different note, here is an interesting article about loopholes that the airlines have when it comes to reporting animal deaths (or not reporting as the case many be) Please read it, it is outrageous! Airline loophole: Many animals' deaths not tallied | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2008/11/02/spotlight.html - broken link)

Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 PM

?? $2500 per PERSON??

Ouch..

Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,055 times
Default Even Worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
?? $2500 per PERSON??

Ouch..
NO! Read carefully:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyDogs View Post
My goal is to have the fare at $2500 per passenger. Lower would be great, and if it is possible, I will do it. Higher is also possible, as it depends on how many passengers we end up with and how much fuel is at the time. Please note, dogs will be considered passengers, as they will have their own seat.
That's $2,500 per person PLUS $2,500 per pet. I'm not saying it's not worth it. I'd do it in a second for our pooch v. flying her in the "belly of the beast."

Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 PM

WOW, you would?? Nice to see you have that kinda cash to throw around...
for that cost, I'd rather purchase my dogs their own seats, we could afford our own row for that matter, the attendand would probably serve them their water and peanuts!!!!!

aloha!

(I've shipped my dogs to and from Hawaii, in the "belly", they did fine, with the help of a little sedative!!)

Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Yes, it is pricey. But you ARE actually buying your dog a seat on a private airplane! Trust me, if there was a better way to do it, I would. Unfortunately none of the regular scheduled airlines give you the option. If your pet is over somewhere around 15lbs then the "belly" it is.
Keep in mind - that is a very tentative figure. The more people and their dogs, the less it will be. I am not made of money. And I certainly am not looking forward to dishing out a lot to fly to Hawaii. But I would rather do that than know how scared and stressed my dog is in cargo. Worse yet - go to pick him up and find that he did not survive or is seriously injured. I value his life too much. It just is not worth it to me. Log on to the airline reports and read all the horrible details of what happened to the poor animals who did not make it. Recently there was a Golden Retriever whose kennel fell off the little truck that transports luggage from the airport to the airplane. The guy did not even notice that it happened and kept driving. Another employee had to point it out to him. The dogs kennel broke apart and the metal from the kennel door impaled him. They found him in a pool of blood. He did not survive. And that poor doggie never even made it to the airplane. If the pilot forgets to hit the switch, they can freeze to death. If the flight is delayed and the pilot turns the airplane off then it can reach very high temperatures in cargo very quickly. Read the link I posted above on March 26 about all the UNREPORTED incedents.
I have said many times, this isn't for everyone. Plenty of people fly their pets in cargo every year and they are fine. And that is great, but I am not willing to take the chance.

As a side note, they now recommended that you NOT sedate your animals before a flight because it can be very dangerous. Many deaths are caused by this. Even many of the homeopathics are not recommended for air travel.

ANYWAY - for those of you who ARE interested - I am wondering how many might be interested in traveling in November or December instead of October? I am not saying I am changing anything, just want to see if this works better for anyone. Please let me know.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 AM

Thank you gherkin314! I saw that and did fill out the survey. We will see how they pan out with their routes, but it might be a good option to get from the east coast to west coast. All the way to Hawaii would be great!
There is one other that is suppose to be starting up, but they told me Hawaii is not an option for them yet either.
Just in case you don't know, how ever you do end up flying your dog to Hawaii, it is a tax deduction when you are PCSing. Hey -it's something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii