Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times

Advertisements

I was looking at a friend's pictures from a Florida vacation. The beaches look incredible, a lot like Caribbean beaches. White sand, much warmer water than Hawaii (in the summer). If you're from Hawaii or the West Coast and have never experienced water that you can sit in for hours without getting hypothermia, do it if you get a chance. Don't go to Las Vegas for your next vacation, go to the Caribbean or the Gulf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
Okay someone clue me in as to the big deal about florida because apparently I don't see it. I have never seen so many people move to a state only to move out within 1 or 2 years, and I'm not kidding either when I say this. I have a brother that lives in boynton beach/west palm beach area and it looks nice but there really isn't much there other than retail stores. I've never seen so many Walgreens in my entire life until I visited florida. But for some reason I still keep meeting people that want to go there and settle there. What is it about florida that appeals to people? The weather? Most have told me that it's horrible in the summer in regards to the humidity. The job market? Are you kidding me? I'm not even going to ramble on about that one because there's nothing no one can say to me that leads me to believe that florida has a great job market, so don't even try it! I just met up with an old friend from high school who lives in orlando and is moving back up to philadelphia because she lost her job down there and she's told me that there's nothing there. Again, someone clue me into what the big deal is with the state of florida. Is there something I'm not seeing? It's absolutely unbelievable how many people I meet that at one time lived in florida and have moved back to the northeast portion of the united states. "Oh I didn't think it was going to be like that down there, we didn't expect the jobs to be like that." Say what? Listen, and pay close attention to what I'm about to say. Unless you have some sort of degree or marketable trade there's absolutely nothing in florida, and even that's a stretch. Even a degree these days doesn't gurantee you anything. Someone give me more insight about the state of florida.
Low-paying jobs in Florida. Sounds like the same complaint with Hawaii though?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 55,660 times
Default Florida beaches

I've been vactioning in Florida for over 30 years. I went to Maui this last Feburary. I will probably never go to Florida to vacation again. It has nothing compared to Maui (beach wise). When it is 85 degrees out with what seems like 99% humidity and you walk into the ocean, it feels like you are getting into a hot tub. Not very refreshing. Most of the beaches are crowded and just kind of have a dirty feel to them. Because I have mostly vacationed in Florida I never realized that the ocean should not feel dirty. Maui has changed that. I am sure there are beaches in Florida that are great but I guess I just never found them. Now if Maiu only had the cuban food that Florida has I would have found my heaven.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 PM

270 posts, read 506,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Low-paying jobs in Florida. Sounds like the same complaint with Hawaii though?

See this link for job/wage information in Orlando-Central Florida
Orlando Jobs (FL) | Simply Hired

Minimum wage Florida as of June 2011 is $7.31 hour
Job happiness is where / what you do. Service jobs are all over Florida due to
tourists, but salary applies too. Blanket statements about Florida jobs are not
consistent with locations. Research specific areas! South Florida = Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Boca, etc and "service jobs:" are like anywhere else,plus tips. It is hard to survive there working as a waitress/waiter plus tips. If moving to Florida, S Florida, HAVE a decent paying job lined up FIRST. Exactly like Hawaii, be "reality based " and not "fantasy mined and delusional". If you are, people will wave "goodbye" as you depart. Get real .

Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
"the less ha'oles that come here to live the better off us locals will be"

I'm torn, part of me wants to say, "1940's Hitler called, he wants his racial superiority attitude back." The other part wants to say, "1950's Alabama called, they want their segregation back".

Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM

941 posts, read 1,968,836 times
Quick before this gets shut down:

terracore, I thought you lived in Hawaii (part time?) so you should've understood onipa'a. He is not ranting against ha'oles (does it have an okina or not?) because of discrimination or segregation, but because of disenfranchisement and loss of control. Since you already pulled the Godwin's, let me correct you with this: "1930's Poland called, they want their country back."

onipa'a wrote: "the less ha'oles that come here to live the better off us locals will be." That is an interestring statement, and I've wondered how true it is myself. In some ways (real-estate, job competition, not to mention local culture and politics) it seems to be true, but in others (economy, influx of money, new ideas, open culture). Regardless of the reality of the situation (US state, freedom of movement, etc), it is interesting to consider. Of course, the answers are subjective, because what is good and what is bad is subjective, and locals is a big term covering lots of demographics.

BTW terracore, is that a URL in your status?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 AM

281 posts, read 256,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Hi! I currently live in St. Louis, MO and I want to relocate to a tropical climate. I am currently torn between selecting Hawaii or Florida for my move. Have any of you that have lived/live in Hawaii previously lived in Florida (or vice versa)? What would you consider some of the pros and cons in comparing living in Hawaii versus living in Florida? Thanks for your input -
I prefer Hawai'i over Florid'a. Less stupefying humidity, has coral reefs (only found in Keys in Florida). Florid'a is cheaper, though and no state income tax. Live your life and Hawai'i and then go to Florid'a (God's waiting room) to close out the whole thing.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM

270 posts, read 506,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"the less ha'oles that come here to live the better off us locals will be"

I'm torn, part of me wants to say, "1940's Hitler called, he wants his racial superiority attitude back." The other part wants to say, "1950's Alabama called, they want their segregation back".

These days,, people can use caller ID and listen to what they WANT to hear.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM

281 posts, read 256,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Quick before this gets shut down:

terracore, I thought you lived in Hawaii (part time?) so you should've understood onipa'a. He is not ranting against ha'oles (does it have an okina or not?) because of discrimination or segregation, but because of disenfranchisement and loss of control. Since you already pulled the Godwin's, let me correct you with this: "1930's Poland called, they want their country back."

onipa'a wrote: "the less ha'oles that come here to live the better off us locals will be." That is an interestring statement, and I've wondered how true it is myself. In some ways (real-estate, job competition, not to mention local culture and politics) it seems to be true, but in others (economy, influx of money, new ideas, open culture). Regardless of the reality of the situation (US state, freedom of movement, etc), it is interesting to consider. Of course, the answers are subjective, because what is good and what is bad is subjective, and locals is a big term covering lots of demographics.

BTW terracore, is that a URL in your status?
Paste it in the browser of choice (and, IMHO, you should chose FireFox or Chrome, but NOT any version of IE), and let us know. It looks more like a joke to me.

BTW, I think the rant was disgraceful and ignorant on its face, but I must admit I don't know of any mitigating circumstances that might exist. I think if a white said, "the less Hawaiians the better" they would be villi fed. All parties should check calender - it is 2012, not 19XX.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onipa'a View Post
ohh! soooo...not digging the WHO CARES...as far as HAWAII is CONCERNED!! because the FACT of the MATTER is this: WE DON'T CARE IF YOU CHOOSE TO COME HERE TO OUR ISLANDS OR NOT, BECAUSE IF YOU'VE SEEN ONE "HA'OLE" YOU'VE SEEN 'UM ALL! and the less ha'oles that come here to live the better off us locals will be. so in essence, i can't say that i don't agree with what previous person had stated, ....Florida being flat and staying up in the mainland instead of coming here to Hawaii Nei...but ah, BRADDAHMAN who be mouthing 'bout not caring about the islands in Hawaii, i think you need to CHECK YO SELF!
I don't think mom let him back on the computer since his/her 1 and done post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii