Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times

Advertisements

I had to ticket my trip from Denver to Kona separately with two airlines. United from Denver to LA, then Delta from LA to Kona. Due to United's process for accepting a travel certificate, the two segments were ticketted separtely with the two airlines.

My question now is trying to check my bags from Denver to Kona. United is telling me that I have to pick up my bags in LA and then re-check them with Delta. I don't think I'll have time to go through this whole process in my lay-over time. And I really don't want to!

Anyone else done this? I'm thinking of going out to the airport just to ask the ticket agents there if they will check my bags the whole way through. Obviously the people on the phone in India could care less. My other thought is to just mail my stuff to myself and not check bags at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
If this was booked as a single trip, all at once, using two airlines, the baggage will be transfered to the final destination of the ticket. If you booked two seperate tickets on two seperate airlines, independent of each other, your baggage only goes to the final destination of the individual leg of each ticket. So if they were book together at the same time or was a Denver to Kona trip your baggage goes to Kona. If booked as a Denver to LA trip, and another booking LA to Kona, your baggage follows each individual leg.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Default Luggage Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
. . . My other thought is to just mail my stuff to myself and not check bags at all!
You can also Google "baggage shipping" or "luggage shipping" and get lots of options for companies that specialize in shipping baggage. Some offer door-to-door service and insurance. I'm a big fan of the USPS for shipping, too, though.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
It's probably cheaper to mail it to yourself. You get one carry on and don't you have to pay for a checked bag these days? We haven't flown for a year or two, but they've gotten all greedy about charging for baggage.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Because we have to check our bags individually with each airline, we will have to pay United $15 per bag, then Delta $15 per bag, each way, that's $120 round trip for two people. We can mail 50 pounds through the USPS for about $90 round trip. I checked out other baggage shipping places on line, and they were way expensive. Especially to Hawaii.

Based on the fact that we can always have the standard carry-ons, I've pretty much talked myself into shipping rathering than checking our bags.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
IF an extra $30 for the trip concerns you, you should not be going on the trip.
With that in mind, and because of the very real chance of your bags not making the flights, I still would ship them. Be aware though, that USPS isn't exactly the most reliable method as to timeframe. You will HAVE TO ship earlier than what the USPS says is required or risk not having the baggage there when you need it.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM

Default Why USPS is "cheaper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
IF an extra $30 for the trip concerns you, you should not be going on the trip.
With that in mind, and because of the very real chance of your bags not making the flights, I still would ship them. Be aware though, that USPS isn't exactly the most reliable method as to timeframe. You will HAVE TO ship earlier than what the USPS says is required or risk not having the baggage there when you need it.
There is also the issue of getting your bags once you arrive. You'll have to have a rental car or take a taxi to the right PO to pick your bags up. If/when they've arrived. And their tracking system -- while it is better than it used to be -- is nothing compared to FedEx or UPS. (The PO offers package tracking, but it is not real-time and often is not updated for over 24 hours.) And if your package is lost, the PO's insurance is not 100% replacement cost or an immediate payment.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the Post Office. I just wouldn't use them for anything that was time-critical or that you absolutely had to have.

So the luggage shippers charge more because they pick your bags up, package them, ship them, insure them, and deliver them to your destination. On your schedule. It's a great service, just not always "worth it," I agree. We used to use them all the time for multi-week location photography when we just couldn't manage all the equipment and clothing, too.

Best of luck.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 PM

mdand3boys. I never said that the $30 was what the problem is. The extra $120 IS a major aggravation. However, the bigger aggravation is having to get our bags from baggage claim in LA, then go to another terminal and check in again. AND do that all over again on the way back to Colorado.

I priced the Post Office versus Fed Ex and the price difference was major. So if we decide to ship it will be through USPS. We'll leave plenty of time for delivery to our house in Hawaii.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Default You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
mdand3boys. . . . However, the bigger aggravation is having to get our bags from baggage claim in LA, then go to another terminal and check in again. AND do that all over again on the way back to Colorado.\
I agree. Not to mention that LAX is one of the least efficient/longest-line TSA entry points in the country. We have done the same thing in Rio de Janeiro faster than you will be able to do it in LA. I promise.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM

217 posts, read 640,169 times
dreaming are you MOVING to hawaii or just visiting? all you really need for a visit is a few bikinis some flip flops (slippers right?) and if you wear your jeans and stuff (ya know layer!) then you can get by with a carry-on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii