Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,814,251 times

Advertisements

Besides that, always pull back your covers before you hop in to bed. We've had a centipede will crawl up and nestle between the sheets were it was cool and dark. We've had a scorpion in a clothes drawer. A scorpion in the linen closet. Had ants make nests in drawers, cabinets, and coffeemaker. And in a bed (in that case, it was in less than 2 hours time!) It is just a fact of life in Hawaii, and bugs will appear in the night while you are asleep. If it is a deal breaker, then Hawaii won't be a restful choice for you.

But if you just figure that bugs are a nuisance to deal with, then you'll be OK. [With a few exceptions of them being more serious than a nuisance, such as termites.]

By the way, wearing shoes in the house is a habit you'll want to break, if you plan on visiting others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 PM

130 posts, read 234,640 times
In China one removes their shoes when entering any house...But slippers/scuffs/sandals/flip-flops as appropriate, are provided for indoor wear...Personally I cannot walk around barefoot because of heel problems.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,158 times
It's all scary

Old 05-10-2014, 02:06 AM

6 posts, read 17,330 times
Default A New Yorker moves to HNL

We moved to HNL from NYC 9 months ago -- resurrecting this post!

In NYC we were on the 2nd floor of a pre-war building -- the kind of old building where dust and dirt could settle into the cracks where the ceiling met the floor. Our neighbors on one side were 2 old guys who seemed like hoarders. The back door to the apartment opened to a hallway where large garbage bags were kept. We have 2 kids and were very clean. I rarely (maybe 5 times total) in our 10+ years in NYC (3 years in this most recent place) saw roaches. I think the building had a very good policy of spraying, taking out garbage, and sealing doors.

Fast forward to tonight, where I am battling ants in the kitchen and the bathroom, and have seen several large B52 2-3inch roaches in the house in the past month. We are renting a house in HNL that is closer to the ocean, so we don't have centipedes. We have a yard, but have cut back plants near the house. We have caulked cabinets, kitchen and bath areas. We are pretty good about sweeping up kiddo crumbs, mopping up water etc. A professional spray job was done when we moved in, but the roaches and ants are a constant battle. I like the geckos hanging around the house, but the poop is an issue.

Now we have visited some fancy new high rise condos in Ala Moana area and I have to say, they feel very nice and sleek and clean. I can't imagine as many bugs on the 20th floor.

But hey -- with kids we wanted a yard. And I think the older homes that come with a yard likely can have issues. Our home simply doesn't completely close off to the outside -- the window jalousies don't ever really "fully" close, and the doors have small cracks underneath.

I suppose we could go crazy, but I have come to the conclusion that we can be clean (we obviously don't want an infestation), we can try to seal off openings ... but that some bugs will just simply get in. My husband grew up here, and he says it is just a fact of living here!

...feeling creepy crawly, but learning to just deal and smack with a slippah!!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_mom99 View Post
We are renting a house in HNL that is closer to the ocean, so we don't have centipedes.

pssssssssttttttttttttttttt...............ppppsssss sssssssssttttttttttttttt......hey, NYC Mom....................

(listen, I don't mean to intrude, but evidently you're not aware of the fact that Honolulu Centipedes, namely Local CCC 741, DO READ CDF,,,,,, and gather essential data concerning any areas of town where they may not be duly represented.... Just a little heads up)

(You might want to invest in some industrial grade rubbah slippahs)

E komo mai, Kawika Kiapolo Makolowiki'nui
President, Local Creepy Crawly Critters #741, Honolulu, Hawaii

uuuurrrrrppppp, scuze us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii