Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:29 PM

739 posts, read 1,849,701 times

Advertisements

My husband is very grateful to you guys for talking me out of wanting to live in Hawaii, lol. When we lived in the Bahamas, the roaches were kept at bay by an exterminator. We had lizards outside but they never bothered me. Other than that we never saw anything. Hawaii sounds wayyyyyy too buggy for me. We stay here in Oregon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 PM

155 posts, read 545,056 times
Koakine: I read your post about the roach handing a towel to your wife in the shower. I laughed out loud! Great sense of humor!!! THANK YOU for the humor.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM

155 posts, read 545,056 times
Our condo complex sprays for bugs every month, so there's very few outside.

We shipped a pallet of stuff here. The pallet came off the boat, and out of a container, along with other people's stuff. That pallet brought two roaches. Three inches long. I'm sure the roach was fresh off the boat. We fogged the place. Taken care of.

We spray the inside of our condo once every six months. We see about one roach a month inside our condo. And, by the time I see it, it's either mostly dead (think The Princess Bride) or all dead.

My husband works construction. He says, "Even though you (Lisa) don't see roaches here, I see them everyday. They're everywhere. Roaches are everywhere around this island. Roaches and mosquitos are a fact of life when you're living on Maui."

He went on, "We were peeling away curbs at work. The curbs were old and were filled with cracks. That's where the centipedes live. We got rid of 20 feet of curbing, and found 5-6 centipedes. They also live under rocks."

Other critters... let's not forget ticks, fleas, crab spiders, and slugs.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM

292 posts, read 949,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa From Maui View Post
Our condo complex sprays for bugs every month, so there's very few outside.

We shipped a pallet of stuff here. The pallet came off the boat, and out of a container, along with other people's stuff. That pallet brought two roaches. Three inches long. I'm sure the roach was fresh off the boat. We fogged the place. Taken care of.

We spray the inside of our condo once every six months. We see about one roach a month inside our condo. And, by the time I see it, it's either mostly dead (think The Princess Bride) or all dead.

My husband works construction. He says, "Even though you (Lisa) don't see roaches here, I see them everyday. They're everywhere. Roaches are everywhere around this island. Roaches and mosquitos are a fact of life when you're living on Maui."

He went on, "We were peeling away curbs at work. The curbs were old and were filled with cracks. That's where the centipedes live. We got rid of 20 feet of curbing, and found 5-6 centipedes. They also live under rocks."

Other critters... let's not forget ticks, fleas, crab spiders, and slugs.

It's all ok....

Old 12-12-2009, 03:48 PM

129 posts, read 535,831 times
Can I just say WOW and THANKS for that bee pic Koa! That is one of the most amazing bees I have ever seen! I found one near Green Sands a few weeks ago, but couldn't get a good picture of it- they are SO beautiful!

Old 12-12-2009, 06:33 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times
The bugs and critters of HI are easier to deal with than the south on the mainland: bugs, palmetto bugs aka roaches, poisonous snakes, alligators, fire ants, the list goes on....

Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 PM

263 posts, read 868,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The bugs and critters of HI are easier to deal with than the south on the mainland: bugs, palmetto bugs aka roaches, poisonous snakes, alligators, fire ants, the list goes on....
I totally agree. I'll take the roaches over snakes, alligators, fire ants,tarantulas, large grasshoppers, etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,856 times
Default Roaches

Yes. It doesn't seem to matter how often you clean or spray. I moved into my 16th floor apartment in August, not above a restaurant. I have roach traps in every cabinet in my kitchen yet everyday, every single time I go into the kitchen and turn on the light I see three of four roaches scuttling across my counter. I spray almost daily but no dice. I have blocked my drain spots to keep them from climbing up through the kitchen pipes. They climb through the cracks in the building. It is disgusting. Only one gecko spotted.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 PM

14 posts, read 36,804 times
Very interesting thread and I myself have to say, the thought of huge uglies all around sort of concerns me. Maybe enough to damper the idea of living there. I know for sure that in Alabama ect, the bugs keep you indoors more than the Minnesota winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohala Coast tennis View Post
tferriday, I may be wrong, but I think I sense a hint of distress in your question. I do not intend disrespect by restating the obvious, but this is the tropics. Our insects are mild compared to Alaska and Florida, but they do live here. Cockroaches, centipedes, scorpions and others will try to share your home if it is at the correct elevation in the right location. Geckos are your first defense against some insects inside, but gecko poop may make you crazy.

Are you sure tropical living is what you really want?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:55 PM

14 posts, read 36,804 times
That cracked me up lol!! Women hate rodents, it's the strangest thing, my Ex would become pee-in-her-pants frightened by a mouse on the television and nearly faint. I had to jump up and turn the TV off.

Quote:
Of course, rodent wise, we do have the obligatory mice, (was having dinner in Wailea years back, the table next to mine, a mouse was crawling up a womans leg, when she realized what it was, the table, plates, wine, dinner, everything went FLYING!!!!! Amazing what strength a tiny mouse can bring about in a lady!)

Aloha and okolemaluna
WHAT THE HECK IS THAT CRAWLING UP MY LEG???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii