Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 AM

11 posts, read 65,603 times

Advertisements

I've heard from a friend that homes in Hawaii get broken into a lot. Is this true? Do people not have alarms there or are there smart criminals or what? I've been thinking of buying a house there but I wouldn't want a vacation home being broken into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:41 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,983 times
i think it depends on where you live. i don't really hear of break inns at all where i live in kailua-kona, but i do see it on the news for O'ahu a lot. people here leave their doors open at night and i know people who don't even have locks or doors. where are you thinking of moving and where did you hear this about?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:05 PM

84 posts, read 407,142 times
I'm surprised more people aren't shot. Breaking into a home is serious business, and many people are gunowners.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM

48 posts, read 354,531 times
It highly varies right down to the street level within a neighborhood. I live on a street where no breakins have occurred in two decades. Yet just two blocks away there have been plenty of them reported. Most are inside-neighborhood jobs by druggies looking for money. Also older neighborhoods tends to have a lot more retired people who stay home all day gardening and stuff outdoors, so that probably scares away potential daytime thieves. In contrast, newer developments tend to be deserted during the day since everyone has to work to pay the mortgage.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:01 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,051,580 times
Vacation rentals get hit a lot since they don't have any people around them all the time. Over at Southpoint I heard there were people taking water catchments! Obviously, that wasn't done in five minutes.

We had a burglar in our neighborhood several years ago. He was caught and everyone went to the court and told the judge how scared they'd been with the burglar in the neighborhood. The judge gave the criminal one hundred and thirty eight consecutive years in jail with no parole.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,404,836 times
I heard recently on the news that on the Big Island, solar collector panels were being stolen off the roofs of houses when no one was around! Crazy!

I think the funniest (sorry) theft I heard of was someone stealing a large piece of equipment from a work site. Okay, where ya gonna hide that bulldozer buddy? Drive it to a different island and hope no one notices? LOL I think it was found not too much later.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 AM

96 posts, read 620,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSpringsDan View Post
I'm surprised more people aren't shot. Breaking into a home is serious business, and many people are gunowners.
most theft occurs when the occupants aren't home or it is in a rental or something. not to mention hawaii isnt texas not that many people have guns here. it's mostly a democratic state, those who do have guns have hunting guns that i know of unless youre in honolulu obviously. we are low on a whole on violent crimes. most theft is also done to unknowning tourists too so they arent lugging around guns waiting to shoot someone haha at least i hope not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii