Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If one doesn't count the misnamed "Pearl City" neighborhood on O'ahu, the interstate highways in Hawai'i won't even take you to the next city.

On a historical note, while Honolulu has been known officially as the "City and County of Honolulu" since 1907, it didn't even have a city charter until 1959. The main population centers on the neighbor islands eg. Lihue, Kahului, and Hilo are officially "county seats", not cities; however, most would qualify as "towns."
Wailuku, not Kahului, is the county seat of Maui. Just for the record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,263,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Wailuku, not Kahului, is the county seat of Maui. Just for the record.
My bad, I didn't have my morning coffee before I posted and I was thinking more about local airports instead of local government.

Of all the islands in Hawai'i, Maui has the strangest IATA airport codes. For instance, the code for Kahului is "OGG" (instead of a more memorable "KHL", which is the code for the airport at Khulna, Bangladesh) and the code for Kapalua is "JHM" (instead of something like "KPL", which is the code for the airport at Kapul, Papua New Guinea).

Old 05-08-2009, 08:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,415 times
Default SO Many Ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Of all the islands in Hawai'i, Maui has the strangest . . . .
There are just SO MANY ways one could finish that sentence! LOL!

According to SkyGod.com:

"Kahului Airport, Maui, was designated as OGG in honor of aviation legend, and Lihue native, Capt. Bertram J. Hogg (pronounced Hoag)."

And Wikipedia says:

"The airport code name JHM stands for John Henry Magoon, who was president of Hawaiian Airlines when that airline developed [the Kapalua] airport."

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM

287 posts, read 1,372,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
There are just SO MANY ways one could finish that sentence! LOL!

According to SkyGod.com:

"Kahului Airport, Maui, was designated as OGG in honor of aviation legend, and Lihue native, Capt. Bertram J. Hogg (pronounced Hoag)."

And Wikipedia says:

"The airport code name JHM stands for John Henry Magoon, who was president of Hawaiian Airlines when that airline developed [the Kapalua] airport."
Interesting stuff....anyone know the identifier for the Hana airport?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:19 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,263,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
Interesting stuff....anyone know the identifier for the Hana airport?
If I recall correctly, it's "HNM."

Here's a quick list of the identifiers for the airports in Hawai'i that I can remember...

Hana Airport (HNM)
Hickam Air Force Base (HIK)
Hilo International Airport (ITO)
Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
Kahului Airport (OGG)
Kapalua Airport (JHM)
Keahole International Airport (KOA)
Lana'i Airport (LNY)
Lihue Airport (LIH)
Moloka'i Airport (MKK)
Princeville Airport (HPV)
Waimea-Kohala Airport (MUE)

Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Another thing that makes Hawaii unique is its dialect yeah!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 PM

113 posts, read 553,358 times
Quote:
Another thing that makes Hawaii unique is its dialect yeah!
Yups!

Also too I think the isolation creates fiercely loyal / pround residents. I always see other people in L.A. with the islands, Honu, 808, etc stickers on their cars. You don't necessarily see cars driving around with a big picture of the outline of Nebraska or Vermont (just picked randomly, not hating) on their back window...

oh and btw I'm currently sportin the red, yellow, green islands across the back window...woo hoo moke action!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,243,701 times
I've been to Hawai'i many times and would someday like to retire there, but to me, it's incredibly unique from the mainland. Besides the tropical beauty, the people, culture, food, strong Asian influence...

When I go, I stay with friends in the Pearl City area, away from the tourist areas. I've found the people to be very warm and friendly - maybe because I embrace the Hawai'ian culture. It just suits me very well - and I refuse to wear shoes indoors, even in winter in Denver!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've been to Hawai'i many times and would someday like to retire there, but to me, it's incredibly unique from the mainland. Besides the tropical beauty, the people, culture, food, strong Asian influence...

When I go, I stay with friends in the Pearl City area, away from the tourist areas. I've found the people to be very warm and friendly - maybe because I embrace the Hawai'ian culture. It just suits me very well - and I refuse to wear shoes indoors, even in winter in Denver!
It's a different type of living that is for sure...more emphasis on the family, community, nature...etc. Why wait till you retire...time waits for no one...

Old 05-14-2009, 12:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,243,701 times
Quote:
It's a different type of living that is for sure...more emphasis on the family, community, nature...etc. Why wait till you retire...time waits for no one...
1 year old twins, dog, jobs... it's hard to uproot an entire family. Plus we're gay parents and live in a very accepting area with great schools, so it's a good place for us to raise our kids. I have no idea how accepting people are in Oahu to family situations like ours. We're also a bi-racial black/white couple with bi-racial children. I suspect we wouldn't have any huge problems though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii