Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 22,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post
... since our omnipotent government decided we can't have the SuperFerry anymore...

It was the small minded bitterness of locals that resisted the Superferry.
Had residents thrown flower leis in the water instead of protesting, it would be there now.
It was the government that allowed Superferry to get started without EIS, and the locals, afraid of sharing their island with other islanders that put the kapu on the project.

Another example, is Maui residents having to fight for years to get a 2nd hospital because the 1st hospital was afraid of losing business.

Last edited by johnwwwatson; 07-14-2009 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:04 AM

287 posts, read 1,372,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwwwatson View Post
It was the small minded bitterness of locals that resisted the Superferry.
Had residents thrown flower leis in the water instead of protesting, it would be there now.
It was the government that allowed Superferry to get started without EIS, and the locals, afraid of sharing their island with other islanders that put the kapu on the project.

Another example, is Maui residents having to fight for years to get a 2nd hospital because the 1st hospital was afraid of losing business.

You can't help getting upset if the government takes you for granted and tries to pull a fast one on you...can you?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
hawaii (in my case) honolulu is intoxicating beauty. but after awhile that low left hand turn begins to wear on you.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:24 AM

236 posts, read 649,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Yes he did come back for short and extememly expensive vacation. I believe he rented a beach house to the tune of about $3000 per week. No matter where a president goes of course, the accomodations are going to be lavish and pricey due to security concerns mostly. They deserve some privacy and relaxation too.

Just to put a little perspective on Obama, he also led a rather priviledged life here, attending Punahou, a high priced private school. His life here was certainly not what most Hawaii citizens (and certainly not native Hawaiians) experience. And, like so many others, he went to the mainland in order to have the life he wanted which was not possible here.

Just to note -- he doesn't owe his life to the Illinois black community. He owes it to the white grandparents he lived with growing up, who molded his character. (And the schools that educated him.)

Last edited by alex7777; 07-17-2009 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Ever heard about the deleterious effect Wal-Mart has on the economy? And why would I drive from the east (north or west) side all the way to Ewa for milk? Better yet, since the world is reading this, if a reader is on the Big Island, Maui, Lanai or Kauai, why would they go to Ewa for milk?

I don't doubt that food is expensive, but you're clearly paying 2x as much for milk as you have to. And the anti-walmart/costco/sams club propaganda is BS.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
hawaii (in my case) honolulu is intoxicating beauty. but after awhile that low left hand turn begins to wear on you.

???

Old 07-26-2009, 02:15 AM

12 posts, read 57,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
I don't doubt that food is expensive, but you're clearly paying 2x as much for milk as you have to. And the anti-walmart/costco/sams club propaganda is BS.
Three cheers for Walmart and Costco. The original poster sounds intelligent, but has bought in a bit too much to the anti-business community's negative spin regarding Walmart. Don't have the time or energy to go into that debate here, though...

Anyway, I just moved to Maui a couple months ago. I can't drink regular milk on account of allergy, so I drink soy milk. Safeway, et al, price soy milk at over $5 per HALF gallon -- on the mainland it cost about $2. But, as I said, thank God for Costco, which will sell you THREE half gallons for about $7. That's actually less than I was paying at the Super WalMart in Vancouver, WA. Go figure. Also, I only have to drive to Kahului, not Ewa.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:02 AM

91 posts, read 249,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic View Post
Three cheers for Walmart and Costco. The original poster sounds intelligent, but has bought in a bit too much to the anti-business community's negative spin regarding Walmart. Don't have the time or energy to go into that debate here, though...

Anyway, I just moved to Maui a couple months ago. I can't drink regular milk on account of allergy, so I drink soy milk. Safeway, et al, price soy milk at over $5 per HALF gallon -- on the mainland it cost about $2. But, as I said, thank God for Costco, which will sell you THREE half gallons for about $7. That's actually less than I was paying at the Super WalMart in Vancouver, WA. Go figure. Also, I only have to drive to Kahului, not Ewa.
No, I saw it happen. Wal-Mart moved in and within 6 months, 5 smaller stores were driven out of business. So when I heard that citizens in Oakland, CA had blocked a Wal-Mart from their community, I cheered. Fact, sir, not opinion.

Even food that should be cheaper or the same price is higher. I'm surprised rice costs so much and even an envelope of Kool-Aid is three times higher. Those 100% unhealthy fried snacks that are usually 3 for $1 are about $2.50 for just *one*. I also saw a carton of Camel Crush cigarettes for only $58, and that was at Cosco.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 AM

12 posts, read 57,991 times
Quote:
No, I saw it happen. Wal-Mart moved in and within 6 months, 5 smaller stores were driven out of business. So when I heard that citizens in Oakland, CA had blocked a Wal-Mart from their community, I cheered. Fact, sir, not opinion.
Yes, that happens. But the fact is, a great many small businesses stay in business in SPITE of themselves. These companies linger around only because people have nowhere else to shop. Almost without exception, it is these poorly-run companies that are driven out of business by Wal-Mart, etc.. If the small company provides something of value (i.e.- superior service, knowledgable employees, etc.) they will continue to thrive with or without Wal-Mart. And I've seen that happen.

The fact is, Wal-Mart generally provides much more economic good than damage to a community -- they provide jobs at better pay than most small companies, they only promote from within - so they provide a ladder for people where none existed before, and they provide the overall community with lower cost products.

Just because they sometimes put smaller companies out of business does not make them bad. They became big in the first place by being more competitive and by providing value. Well-managed, well-run companies simply do not go out of business because of Wal-Mart... but the worthless ones are forced to either shape up or go under, and that's a good thing.

When you get a chance, watch Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t episode about Wal-Mart. It covers a lot more info than I can cover in a few paragraphs.

Last edited by Pretzel Logic; 07-26-2009 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-26-2009, 11:30 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,884 times
Quote:

Even food that should be cheaper or the same price is higher. I'm surprised rice costs so much and even an envelope of Kool-Aid is three times higher. Those 100% unhealthy fried snacks that are usually 3 for $1 are about $2.50 for just *one*. I also saw a carton of Camel Crush cigarettes for only $58, and that was at Cosco.
I would bet those 5 smaller stores were paying their employees minimum wage with no benefits and nearby residents were used to driving much farther to get all the items they couldn't get at those local stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii