Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 AM

11 posts, read 34,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If I ever get the chance to move there, it will be because it's my favorite type of climate and I love the culture, not because I expect paradise.
That is how I feel also. I do not expect Paradise. What I do expect are temperatures above zero and sunshine. I, too, do not stray far from home, nor am I high maintenance. I almost didn't even go to Hawaii w/my sister, it was last minute, seriously! I'm really hoping the change in climate will be worth the move. This forum is so important to me because there is always a post that gets me thinking about issues I hadn't thought of. I appreciate you Islanders taking the time to share your insights! Also, I just bought a ukulele this weekend......guess that means the culture is important to me as well?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,508,869 times
For those that may not have spent a lot of time in Hawaii, when you say the "Culture" of Hawaii, it might not be exactly what you expect. Only about 9% of Oahu is Pacific Islanders/Native Hawaiians. About 17% are two or more races. Asians make up about 45% of the people on Hawaii, and whites make up about another 25%.

Native Hawaiians only got to Hawaii a dozen centuries or so before any of the other groups arrived, and they're not the majority of Hawaiians today. I think It would be a mistake to believe that the culture of modern Hawaii is that of the Native Hawaiians, (although for tourist purposes, that's often played up.) Outside of the tourist zones, Hawaii isn't all that polynesian, imo.

Hawaiian culture today is the mixing and melting of all the cultural influences of the major groups that live there, but it's not much like any single one of them. For example, I have been to Japan, the Philippines, the U.S., and I currently live in Micronesia. Hawaii isn't like any of those places, even though those cultures are strongly represented there. Modern Hawaii has a unique culture all of it's own. It draws on all those cultures, but it's not a lot like any of them.

Hawaii is Hawaii, not native Hawaii, or the PI or Japan. It's its own place, if that makes sense. It's like no other place in the world, because of the mixing and melding of all the groups that live there.

That's the way I remember it, anyway.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:59 PM

493 posts, read 1,448,626 times
Default Thanks for some good info!

My wife and I are seriously considering a move to Volcano Village on the Big Island for retirement. We have vacationed there four or five times, and on the last visit we rented a small house, in the neighborhood where we want to build, for a couple of days. We've also been to O'ahu a couple of times (you can have it!) and Kauai a couple of times (beautiful!) so we have something of a feel for the islands and love them.

We have virtually no family left, and are not that close with the family members who are still alive. We have friends that we will miss, but have already made friends in Hilo. My wife and I are "ham" radio operators, and I've joined the daily morning coffee get-together at the Jack-in-the-Box in Hilo every chance that I get - great bunch of people!

Living in southern California, the cost of living in Hawaii comes as no surprise.

The one thing that worries me, though, is the availability of health care that someone mentioned. We're not falling apart, but do have some chronic issues (allergies and asthma) that need attention occasionally, and we will be in our mid-60s at that point.

Thanks to everyone for the perspective!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
Well said! But is there a loneliness factor that takes over once you realize that you now have your family and friends thousands of miles away?
Well, it depends on the family and friends as to if that is a good thing or not. With the free weekend minutes available on cell phones these days, the mainland is much closer than it used to be.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 PM

287 posts, read 1,372,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, it depends on the family and friends as to if that is a good thing or not. With the free weekend minutes available on cell phones these days, the mainland is much closer than it used to be.
I used to think that too! But over time I began to realize that calling home so often was actually more torturous than not calling at all and it kept us from moving on...it wasn't until we realized that there was no going back that we finally stopped calling home so often and began to get involved in the community.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,505 times
I am used to living in cities and I just got bored.
Its also very hard to make money as a musician, regardless of where you are.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 AM

4 posts, read 48,276 times
because once you get there you realize how far away you are from everything. the locals are not friendly, the crime is high(don't park your car at any beach) the homeless are EVERYWHERE just pitching tents, using the beach parks as their personal toilets, pit bulls guard most yards and the junk cars left all over the island are despicable...has not been hard to find a good job here because if you can pass the drug tests, you're in...

Old 06-20-2009, 05:51 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times
Default Island fever/cabin fever/loneliness/boredom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
Well said! But is there a loneliness factor that takes over once you realize that you now have your family and friends thousands of miles away?
I think you are correct, a part of island fever is missing your family and friends on the mainland. On the mainland you can decide to visit friends in another state for the weekend, or spend time with your grandchildren and be part of their daily lives. Another aspect is boredom. We visit once a year for an extended period and tend to get bored. We live in a condo so we aren't living the tourist way of life. We have been doing this for many years and are ready to leave island life after awhile. On the mainland we live in a four season area and can get in our RV and experience the beauty of the USA.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,793,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1scotty View Post
because once you get there you realize how far away you are from everything. the locals are not friendly, the crime is high(don't park your car at any beach) the homeless are EVERYWHERE just pitching tents, using the beach parks as their personal toilets, pit bulls guard most yards and the junk cars left all over the island are despicable...has not been hard to find a good job here because if you can pass the drug tests, you're in...
All you have to do is look at a map to realize how far away you will be.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:42 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,793,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1scotty View Post
I have heard that the natives are not at all friendly to whites........Is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii