Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 19,610 times

Advertisements

Locals and vactioners alike,

I am going to surprise my wife and take her to Hawaii on August 10th...I need to book the flights this week. We have never been to Hawaii and understand it is the best place to vaction in August. Things we would like to do:

Boogie Board
Snorkel
Veg at the beach
Minor to Moderate sight seeing
Eat dinner in quaint cozy places (nothing big and hotelish)
Prefer ocean view in a condo (condo size is immaterial)
Wander downtown and "bar hop"

Anyone in the same boat or have any accomodation recommendations/island recommendations? Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,899,252 times
So you'll want a place on/near a beach and with a downtown close enough to wander to? That alone limits your options a bit. Do you have an island in mind? They're all different.

Honolulu is an obvious option if you don't mind the "downtown" being a major urban area. On Maui, it sounds like the Lahaina/Kaanapali area or Kihei would be a good choice. (Maybe Wailea, but there's no real downtown -- just the resort shopping center.) And on the Big Island maybe the Kailua area? I'm hoping someone from Kauai will help, but the only area I can think of there is Kapaa/Wailua that kind of has a retail area with a "beach town" feel. (I love Hanalei, but I'll leave it to the locals whether that's a place to "bar hop.")

There are lots of deals, but it helps to zero in on a single island if you're only going to stay for a few days.

Best of luck.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times
Aloha,
What Island are you looking to stay on? Summer time is the typical slow time in Hawaii but as we all know its slow now. I can give you advice on the Big Island if you need it.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
August is normally a big tourist time. Every time we have been to the Big Island/Waikoloa area in August, it has been quite crowded. We love the resorts there and the Big Island in general, but we have 3 boys, aged 11-17...

Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,406,877 times
Summer is more families, and winters are more adults and "big spenders". Summer is cheaper and this summer, waaaay cheaper accomodations can be had than in recent years.

There are several ocean front resorts and resort condo communities in Kailua Kona on the Big Island where I live and work. Come here, you'll love it! We're big on "quaint".

great idea. have a wonderful trip.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
Just for fun, I just looked up roundtrip airfare from Peoria (PIA) to Kona (KOA) and Chicago (ORD to Kona (KOA)

I found roundtrip fares from Peoria, with taxes and fees cheaper than from Chicago! OK, not by more than $10, but still... Leaving on a Wednesday or Thursday and returning on a Tuesday or Wednesday I found fares as cheap as $592! I paid $350 for one-way tickets out of Oakland (OAK) for our move!

Now really is the time to buy those tickets!

ps - I used orbitz.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii