Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,597,587 times

Advertisements

This is a qustion for those that want to live in Hawaii.

Who has and what kind of Tropical plants do you have in and around you house/Apt..ect. ?

Ill go first I live in western NY (cold). I have 2 large plumeria trees 6' ea ones is starting to bloom now. also a bunch of assorted ferns split leaf philodendron's and tubarose just for starters.

Just for fun guys lets see what we do to bring a little paradise in to our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:24 AM

63 posts, read 206,044 times
I have a tricolor hau, 2 ti, pikake and and a banana that doesn't care much for the dark winters, but has hung in there for several years now (all indoors). I also generally find some taro in the local grocery and grow it outside as an annual (I haven't had any luck wintering it over inside). Also, I have tried tuberose several times now and have never managed to get it to last very long. I haven't got the greenest of thumbs!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 AM

155 posts, read 517,127 times
Have a pikake, stephanotis (2), and don't even want to count the plumies. Maybe 15 rooted cuttings/plants plus maybe another 20 seedlings. I like plumies

Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM

292 posts, read 950,379 times
I have many orchids in my house; 2 bananas; 2 baby (and I mean BABY) heliconias; 1 coffee tree and 1 mahogany tree .
O, and a poinsettia that I am really proud of, because I got it to rebloom!!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,597,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
I have many orchids in my house; 2 bananas; 2 baby (and I mean BABY) heliconias; 1 coffee tree and 1 mahogany tree .
O, and a poinsettia that I am really proud of, because I got it to rebloom!!
Great to hear !We have a poinsettia tat blooms Aug every year. also we have had (umm had to give it to responsable friends to care for) .

I also have a giant bird of paradise 7' tall. A fishtail palm that iv had for 9 years thats 8' tall looking for a good home......

Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM

68 posts, read 245,670 times
Hi Everyone. Wow an actual site for plant lovers AND Hawaii lovers, cool! Ive got a bunch of plants at home. Im trying to cut down but without much luck. Currently Ive got a Bunya-Bunya Pine, Autograph Tree (Clusia), a couple Loulu Palms (I think I spelled that right!), 3 kinds of Pandanus (Hala), a couple Tasmanian Tree Ferns, and a bunch of different cycads. Ive had the tree ferns for about 5 or 6 years. They have to be overwintered in a greenhouse because they like the higher humidity. I know the people at the city consrvatory here and they let me keep them there. When they get too big to transport back and forth, I donate em to the conservatory, get some new little ones and start over... overwo

Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM

150 posts, read 416,277 times
Orchids, Orchids, Orchids and one plant growing on the lava rock from Dan's Lahaina! I don't want to part with them but will have to once our house sells and we get our butts out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: