Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times

Advertisements

Used to go see the Pacific Coast League Islanders at the "Old Stadium" - downtown - remember when the new "Aloha Stadium" was being built - my dad took me into the stadium before it was finished and they were laying down the astroturf. I think that was 1975 or so. Hard to believe that same stadium is still around and U of H and the NFL Pro Bowl is still being played there (except this year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
We remember almost buying an almost new, nearly 2500sf house in Kailua-Kona 2 blocks from the ocean in a gated area for under $175,000 in the year 2000. What a mistake that was - in not buying it... A few years later we saw it had sold again; for about $650,000.
Our family had the chance to buy a place in Mililani for only $60k. I'm sure it would cost $400-500k now.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoa View Post
The Exchange!
Goes round round round
and down down down
in the tum tum tum
Makes your mind
go yum yum yum
for an orange juice called Exchange!

---Orange juice jingle.. hehe... strongly associated with Checkers & Pogo.

Sky Slide!!!! By Gems in Waipahu (I heard there was another one in town but never went to it).
The sky Slide was a 3-story slide you rode down. It was a huge treat on the weekend...
--Go to Gems for shopping
--Play on Sky Slide
--Go to the Sunset Drive-In (sneaking in 3 kids in the trunk) for movies

Remember the Kam Drive in BEFORE it went double screen? And the play ground... and the swap meets were so much better than the Stadium's one.. you found TREASURES there... not touristy stuff.

The Pearlridge Liberty House beauty salon... was the best on the island.. and the older Japanese ladies there would really pay attention to what they were doing with your hair and makeup... is where I learned about certain make-ups and skin treatments... is why now my skin is just about flawless! One even introduced me to the "streamline" bra.. and how to REALLY fit a bra and why it is so important for "haole girls" to pay attention to what bra they wear to avoid sagging later in life.

Without their pearls of wisdom... I'd look more about 50 than I do 30! ^.^
Spent a lot of time at the Pearlridge Mall as a kid, as well as the drive-in Swap Meets. Haven't been back to HI for decades, but those were good times.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
Great idea!

I remember..

-watching Kikaida and Checkers and Pogo on TV.
Watched both Kikaida and Checkers/Pogo as well......bad TV compared to today, no?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:59 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,551 times
Great stories. It's funny now, living on Oahu, to consider how I feel when I go back to my hometown of Chicago. Lots and lots of things have changed since I left in 2002, but even more things have changed since I remember growing up in the late 80s and early 90s. I can only imagine how different this place was.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,311 times
Default SHark Boy Legends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoa View Post
I was... 5 I think... and my grandparents took my baby sister & I to Maui...

I remember the strawberry farm on the slopes of Haleakala... picking the strawberries and popping them into my mouth! I got in so much trouble! But the old Japanese lady who lived there just laughed and laughed! I had really red lips and around my mouth was stained red from all the strawberries I ate.

Then we went up to the summit... Granpa driving someone's station wagon. Sis & I kept going from the seat to the back then to the seat and back again! And sis got so SICK! I kinda got sick too (all those strawberries!) but I held it back and watched as we drove into the clouds - I remember thinking this is what it must be like to go to heaven.

We got out of the clouds (they were BELOW us! WOW!) and went to the crater rim.. and I watched as the sun crept up and lit the entire crater floor.... I was just stunned into silence. I remember so vividly the details of the summit and the sun peeking into the crater.

Several years later, I think in the 2nd or 3rd grade... I saw one of those Hawaiian movies in class. I forgot which one (I think was the story of Maui) but I totally remember in one scene, the man in the movie was running across a barren landscape (something about fleeing from the goddess Pele) and then I totally recognized Haleakala.. and got all excited - so excited that I was told to exit the class for I was disrupting the movie!

I never saw that movie again.

Anyone remember those old Hawaiian movies? I remember there was one about the shark boy legend, and yet another about the goddess Pele and here sister. Are they still around? Where can I get them? Bishop Museum? I don't remember.. this was back in the early 70s...

I remember those oh so fondly, only because my DAD was the lil boy in the movie... and he played in other legends. It was a Japanese producer that did it, but I've been trying to get ahold of copies of it, however I have had no luck. ...

Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
zoa zoa started this thread

60 posts, read 491,191 times
*performs resurrection ritual with success!*

IT LIVES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piilani76 View Post
I remember those oh so fondly, only because my DAD was the lil boy in the movie... and he played in other legends. It was a Japanese producer that did it, but I've been trying to get ahold of copies of it, however I have had no luck. ...
That was your dad?!?! WOAH!
I had movie-star crush on him! Of course I was a little girl and enamored by any boy who ran wild... lol!

I've been tugging at some of my TV production friends about those movies over the years. The best I got is they were "sold/loaned" to the DOE for use in education (early to mid 70's there was that whole revival going on) but the masters disappeared in the 80's due to "disinterest" and the advent of the video tape.

I'm still hunting! I think those old films would be awesome as educational tools for students - they were for me!

~~~~~~~

@ Lunchbox: That would be the Hilton Hawaiian Village - they used to have dolphins in the lagoon. I remember thinking the dolphins would be happier in the ocean. They don't anymore - now they have fireworks every Friday night [kicks off the weekend]. The Kahala Resort does have a Dolphin Quest program now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii